PDA

View Full Version : Need to get a Tonneau Cover...suggestions?

kingsransomracing
06-03-2007, 05:52 AM
I need to get a tonneau cover for my gmc sierra. It is a 2006 GMC sierra crew cab 1500HD (which has the 6' short bed, NOT the short bed seen on the regular 1500 trucks)
What brand do you feel is the best out there as fasr as strength and overall quality. I want to also get it paintmatched as well. I know for sure I want a hard cover.
Anyone out there work at one of these places in so cal and can get me a deal on one?
I also want to get the rhino liner done as well. Anyone that can help get me a good deal on that too?

GRUNION
06-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Leer

soupersonic
06-03-2007, 07:20 AM
I just put on a rollnlock tonneau on mine. It lets you still use the bed for tall items if you need to. Not as waterproof as the hard fiberglass one was as there is a gap in the front but it drains out thru some tubes you put in. Good luck :)

RitcheyRch
06-03-2007, 07:28 AM
I have a Retrax which is very similar. Will never go back to a hard tonneau again.
I just put on a rollnlock tonneau on mine. It lets you still use the bed for tall items if you need to. Not as waterproof as the hard fiberglass one was as there is a gap in the front but it drains out thru some tubes you put in. Good luck :)

Old school Ultra
06-03-2007, 07:38 AM
I have had solid tonneau covers!!! They suck! If I were to ever get one again I definitely would get a retractable one... For sure.... I have always just bought basic bed liners because of the cover you really cant see it and it protects just the same..

socaldj1
06-03-2007, 10:24 AM
I like mine from www.kcovers.com One person can take it off and it stores easy. Even locks the tailgate

Racey
06-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Gaylords seem pretty nice, they have a really bitchin hinge setup, the snugtop ones are peices of chit, both me and my dad have them and they are horrible, i havent put mine back on the truck in a couple years now.

TrojanDan
06-03-2007, 05:35 PM
I've had a Snugtop hard top for the last 14 years on my last two trucks. Great lids but I'll never buy another hard lid again. Too much a pain in the ass to remove when you need to haul a big load. I'd definitely buy a retractable cover next time.
I went with LineX spray on bed liner. The Pixies here on the boards hooked me up on that one.

soupersonic
06-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I like mine from www.kcovers.com One person can take it off and it stores easy. Even locks the tailgate
I tried ordering the "rollbak" cover from them,they couldnt deliver.I ended up cancelling the order and going with the "rollnlock" after much frustration.Its working out well though

Jesster
06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I have had roll up covers for the past 8 years and they are great. My most recent (last month) I put a truxedo LoPro roll up on and it looks and works great. Plus lifetime warranty on the entire thing including the canvas. Thats great because the velcro will eventually wear out and the canvas will start to harden after 3-4 years. They just send you new stuff. It also installs in about 15 minutes. I have friends that have had other covers including the hard ones and they have all switched over to either Access or Truxedo. If your interested PM me I found a place that will sell them for $352.00

mobldj
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
what they dont tell you about hard covers it will wear the corners raw on your truck.down to bare metal.on my show truck i have a hard cover and always place rags in between to stop the rubbin.

kingsransomracing
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
great...thanks for the info... anyone else have comments on the hardtops. I am going to look into the truxedo as well now.
The main thing I am looking for is security, thats why I was thinking of a hardtop over soft stuff. I realize its not break-in proof, but probably better than nothing
TrojanDan,
I planned on doing line-x. I just realized I put Rhino Liner in that first post. Who are The pixies?

TrojanDan
06-03-2007, 10:03 PM
TrojanDan,
I planned on doing line-x. I just realized I put Rhino Liner in that first post. Who are The pixies?
PM Pixilatedpussy. Her and her husband own Simon's Autobody in OC.

roln 20s
06-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I have had 3 hard tops - one Snugtop which I will not buy again and 2 Gaylords. I love the Gaylords- great hinges, power locks (option) and the paint match has been PERFECT everytime. Probably one of the better (or best) lock systems out there. I even have mine attached to my alarm system :D
Feel free to call Bill Gaylord at Gaylord Covers and tell him Patrick Jones and/or Jay Photoglou sent you -- he'll take care of you :)
Roln 20s

2Driver
06-05-2007, 06:02 AM
BY far the nicest I found for what I wanted. Best looking too. Easy to remove if you ever need to take it out.
http://www.pace-edwards.com/fullmetal_jr.asp