PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum sub box

FASTERDAMITT
02-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Will a custom fab aluminum welded sub box work? I would like something custom built in the cockpit.

rivercrazy
02-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Sure. As long as the material used is thick enough not to flex, it would work fine.
Sub boxes can be built from just about anything. The more damp, consistent, and stiff the material is the better. Some of the best sounding enclosures are made from concrete!

ROZ
02-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Sure. As long as the material used is thick enough not to flex, it would work fine.
Sub boxes can be built from just about anything. The more damp, consistent, and stiff the material is the better. Some of the best sounding enclosures are made from concrete!
I think it will ring...
Funny you mention "other" materials... Years ago I put sand, bb's, and resign inside the bottom of kickpanel pods in order to completely dampen the sound... I read somewhere that someone else did this and decided to give it a try... Worked well :) They were heavy, too :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Two words:
con crete
'nuf said.

Tom Brown
02-13-2006, 12:04 PM
I think it will ring...
I think so too. It may not be too bad if you provide enough internal bracing and use thick enough material but it is an extremely poor material choice, IMO.

Magic34
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
It would be cool though. All polished or chrome.

phebus
02-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Build it big enough, and line it with dynamat