PDA

View Full Version : Welding schools??

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I was in metal shop in high school for 2 years. I really liked it. There are so many things id like to do but dont remember much from the class. Anyone know of a good welding school in the SVG or OC area? I just wanna to improve my skills so I can start fabbing in my garage. :D
Thanks in advance.

RiverToysJas
06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Check your local JC's or ROP programs. My Brother got his LA County certs through Fullerton College.
Good luck.
RTJas :D

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Check your local JC's or ROP programs. My Brother got his LA County certs through Fullerton College.
Good luck.
RTJas :D
Thanks. I'll look up Mt Sac since its close to work.

HocusPocus
06-05-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.thefabschool.com/index.shtml
i checked into this one in riverside a couple years ago, the staff was very friendly and seem to know their stuff.

Baja Big Dog
06-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Oh yea
pratice, practicepractice...

djunkie
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Probably too far for you but I did all mine at the Wilmington Skills Center in Wilmington, Ca.

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 11:22 AM
My friends brother was taking a welding class in Simi Valley somewhere. He completed his schooling and went straight to work for the movie studio.

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 11:26 AM
My friends brother was taking a welding class in Simi Valley somewhere. He completed his schooling and went straight to work for the movie studio.
Thats awesome.
I'm not looking to do this as a career. I just want to take a semester to learn some skills for my own enjoyment.

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Tri-City in Covina has a good program from what I hear.
What exactly do you want to learn?
Ryph

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I can call him later and find out which school he went to.
Thats awesome.
I'm not looking to do this as a career. I just want to take a semester to learn some skills for my own enjoyment.

scarabrick2
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
If we can help,let me know. If you, or any of your friends, Hot Boat buddy's want to get certified. My brother and I certify welders. You can send us the sample plate(case by case ) and we will inspect/bend test the sample. We have a special Hot Boat price. Email questions and cert levels to , jbtechllc@aol.com
Rick
Jeff Borba (owner)
JB Technologies LLC
702-210-0088

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Tri-City in Covina has a good program from what I hear.
What exactly do you want to learn?
Ryph
mainly tig and some mig..maybe even some gas
Covina would work great! Do you have a phone number for them?

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't have the number handy. It is South of the Police Department next to La Tazza... They do it in the evenings and on the weekends I believe. Drop by and they will give you the scoop.
Ryph

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't have the number handy. It is South of the Police Department next to La Tazza... They do it in the evenings and on the weekends I believe. Drop by and they will give you the scoop.
Ryph
Thanks! Ill stop by today! The police station is off Citrus and San Bernardino right?

vee-driven
06-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Just buy a damn welder and get alot of scrap and start welding. i have been welding since i was a little kid, and a few years ago i went to scroc to get better. I learned some technique, but all the machines are different, and if you want to be good on your machine, practice on your own equipment makes perfect, well sorta.

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks! Ill stop by today! The police station is off Citrus and San Bernardino right?
Yes...
Ryph

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Just buy a damn welder and get alot of scrap and start welding. i have been welding since i was a little kid, and a few years ago i went to scroc to get better. I learned some technique, but all the machines are different, and if you want to be good on your machine, practice on your own equipment makes perfect, well sorta.
DING DING DING!
But what the hell do I buy?

epeagle
06-05-2007, 03:23 PM
consolidated welding school in pico rivera.

buzzaro
06-05-2007, 03:28 PM
School wouldnt be a bad idea but if youre intent is to endup buying equipment anyhow might as well just do some research and see what best fits your needs and buy it, pick up some books, do a internet research maybe and start practicing. The basics arent that tough once you realize what your actually looking at, the flow, slag, material and all that. Tig and Mig are both gas welding btw. Good luck, could turn out to be quite a hobby/busniess

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 03:32 PM
DING DING DING!
But what the hell do I buy?
check www.millerwelds.com
I have the Passport for MIG and an older Syncrowave 180 for TIG and stick.
You can get a decent MIG for around $1000 but it depends on what you want to do with it all.
Ryph

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 03:33 PM
School wouldnt be a bad idea but if youre intent is to endup buying equipment anyhow might as well just do some research and see what best fits your needs and buy it, pick up some books, do a internet research maybe and start practicing. The basics arent that tough once you realize what your actually looking at, the flow, slag, material and all that. Tig and Mig are both gas welding btw. Good luck, could turn out to be quite a hobby/busniess
I thought tig and mig are acetylene?:confused:

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
I thought tig and mig are acetylene?:confused:
TIG and MIG use inert gas to shield the arc. either argon for TIG and argon/co2 mix for MIG.
Ryph

vee-driven
06-05-2007, 03:38 PM
go with miller, thats what i prefer. are you lookin for a tig or a mig welder.

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 03:42 PM
TIG and MIG use inert gas to shield the arc. either argon for TIG and argon/co2 mix for MIG.
Ryph
ohhhh thanks for clearing that up:)
go with miller, thats what i prefer. are you lookin for a tig or a mig welder.
Well I know the mig is easier but soon after I would wanna get the tig..so I was thinking just start out with the tig....What would you suggest?

BigBoyBlue
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
OCC Junior College has a big welding program. All different types of welding to learn there. I looked into that and fab school.

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
ohhhh thanks for clearing that up:)
Well I know the mig is easier but soon after I would wanna get the tig..so I was thinking just start out with the tig....What would you suggest?
I started out with a TIG machine. I had a lot of experience oxy/acetolene welding. Looking back it may have been better to go with the MIG first if you want to get a quick start. The TIG requires a lot of extra supplies to get going like electrodes, collets, filler metals and other junk that adds up. It may be frustrating at first too.
The MIG you can start burning metal the first day probably. The TIG machine will probably be the more expensive too. The cheaper TIG machines usually run just DC current which is fine if you only want to burn steel. If you want to weld aluminum you need an AC/DC machine with hi-freq.
Ryph

vee-driven
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
what are you welding, steel, aluminum, stainless?????

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
what are you welding, steel, aluminum, stainless?????
Id probably wanna do a lot of steel and stainless to start out. I hear aluminum takes alot of skill.
I started out with a TIG machine. I had a lot of experience oxy/acetolene welding. Looking back it may have been better to go with the MIG first if you want to get a quick start. The TIG requires a lot of extra supplies to get going like electrodes, collets, filler metals and other junk that adds up. It may be frustrating at first too.
The MIG you can start burning metal the first day probably. The TIG machine will probably be the more expensive too. The cheaper TIG machines usually run just DC current which is fine if you only want to burn steel. If you want to weld aluminum you need an AC/DC machine with hi-freq.
Ryph
I defiantly see your point! I really want turn key, that way I can start practicing beads right away.
Does Miller make a good entry level Mig machine?

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I defiantly see your point! I really want turn key, that way I can start practicing beads right away.
Does Miller make a good entry level Mig machine?
This is why I would recommend a class like Tri-City. It is there, setup and ready to go. They will have materials to use and you can spend most of your time burning metal.
When I go to do something it takes me half a day just to get the garage organized and get my materials together.
Ryph

dumbandyoung
06-05-2007, 04:05 PM
This is why I would recommend a class like Tri-City. It is there, setup and ready to go. They will have materials to use and you can spend most of your time burning metal.
When I go to do something it takes me half a day just to get the garage organized and get my materials together.
Ryph
Hahaha The only draw back is you CAN drink frosty beer in your garage, but you CANT at school. :D
DO they let you build your own stuff there? Or do they give you assignments?

Ryphraph
06-05-2007, 04:54 PM
In the end, the welders will be some of the cheaper tools that you will need. To do anything but the most basic work, your metal cutting, shaping and measuring tools will end up costing many times more.
Ryph

Kindsvater Flat
06-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I mostly stick weld stuff rather than using the mig. There are times I use it just not often. Last year I went to 400lbs of welding rod vs maybe a 1/2 spool of wire. My TIG is 300 amp watercooled and is a great old machine. I will TIG before even thinking about gas welding. I had shop classes in school but growing up and living on a farm I was welding long before those. But the key thing most have said is practice, practice, practice. Here is my gear minus the portable welder. And I'm thinking of upgrading my miller 185 to a 250 and be able to run a alum spool gun.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscfarm/welders.JPG

Sun burners
06-05-2007, 07:33 PM
My son is going to the Covina welding class.
He likes it, and has 4 certs. Not bad for a 16 year old kid!
I think the semester is over tonight or next week?

scarabrick2
06-06-2007, 04:40 AM
get a lot of practice and GET CERTIFIED.. A lot of people can weld.. If your lookind for a job in a fab shop or ? having a few weld certs will get your foot in the door faster. Union paying jobs are great. Mostly all STICK welding. However if your not certified they won't hire you. a 6g weld cert will pretty much get you in the door and started anywhere.
Rick

MrBeam
06-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Take a class. It will save you time and money in the long run. Welders can run from small a/c stick welders that cost around $1 per amp to over 3 grand for a multi-process inverter based machine. Taking a class is a cheap way to get some experience with a variety of machines to see which will best meet your needs.
Kevin

tigtutor
06-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Try tigtutor.com