PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Repair

NeverEnough
06-05-2007, 09:43 AM
While my boat was in storage last winter the owner of the building scraped up against my boat and put a long scratch in the yellow. He is going to pay for it and they took it o someone and they wanted to paint it instead of using the normal way of repairing gel. Is this ok? I have never painted any boats so im not to fimaliar with how they work.

shippingguy
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
While my boat was in storage last winter the owner of the building scraped up against my boat and put a long scratch in the yellow. He is going to pay for it and they took it o someone and they wanted to paint it instead of using the normal way of repairing gel. Is this ok? I have never painted any boats so im not to fimaliar with how they work.
I would call down to Ultra (619) 443-1100 and get the exact yellow they use and have it repaired with gelcoat.
Mike

Taylorman
06-05-2007, 09:52 AM
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL no. I'd bring it to Ultra for repair on the person who damaged its dime.

NeverEnough
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I cant take it to ultra as I live in iowa. He ordered the color from ultra. What happens if it is painted on?

Taylorman
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
For one, paint is not as durable as gel. Two, its not a painted boat. Get it fixed by a fiberglass shop. They should be able to repair the gel. It may not be as good as new but it better than paint.