PDA

View Full Version : Child Protection Services, took my kids away

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Child Protection Services, took my kids away from the ex last week. I had to hussle up and make some changes or they were gonna stick them in foster homes. All is well now (I think - I never know what's gonna happen next) and my kids are safe with me...that's all that matters.
The social worker is on her way over now. Wish me luck.

Biglue
06-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Scary situation man. Good luck.

Ziggy
06-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Geezus Brett:eek: .............I never would have guessed Leslie was so down:( .
Hope all goes well, and particularly that the kids are ok.

RitcheyRch
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Good luck

Jyruiz
06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow, glad you got them in time.

HocusPocus
06-05-2007, 10:24 AM
very scary! good luck with the social worker.

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys.
very scary! good luck with the social worker.
She's late. :rolleyes:
She really needs help. I tried for 15 years and now I can't be bothered with her antics anymore. I don't know if she's on drugs or just mentally ill. I can't tell the difference between bi-polar, manic, skitzophrenia (sp) or depression. To me, she is just crazy and well on her way to becoming "The Cat Lady". People keep asking me if I think she is suicidal. My response has been that I won't be surprised if I get that phone call. I just don't want my kids to be involved with something like that.
I'm stoked the kids are here. There are so many things I want to do, but mostly just stabilize their lives.

Baja Big Dog
06-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Dude, goodluck with the kids....but I would change my screen name!!!

32sunrkt
06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, stability is the operative word..

racecar.hotshoe
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Just be a dad and all will work out for the best.......screw the ex.:mad:

91nordic29
06-05-2007, 10:59 AM
tee heee heee:)

Tremor Therapy
06-05-2007, 11:02 AM
I've dealt with CPS in the past. Be honest, do it for the kids, and everything will turn out okay.

barbigrl
06-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I work for a family law attorney...just send me a pm if you need any advice!! :D

Ziggy
06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
CBad is an abbreviation for the city of Carlsbad...........

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, the social worker just left...
The EX didn't show for her appointment. They re-scheduled but it's not looking good. She told me I would have to go back to Family Court if I wanted them full time. She said she would put in a report that said CPS recommended I have them full time. I don't want to jump to any conclusions until after their meeting, I guess time will tell.

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
I work for a family law attorney...just send me a pm if you need any advice!! :D
Thanks Barbigirl, I may take you up on that.

Strippoker
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
hearts go out to you my brother Im off too fight my wicked witch of the north this week in norcal so totally feel for you.
VIVA lA Hot boat dads!!!!!!

IMPATIENT 1
06-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys.
She really needs help. I tried for 15 years and now I can't be bothered with her antics anymore. I don't know if she's on drugs or just mentally ill. I can't tell the difference between bi-polar, manic, skitzophrenia (sp) or depression. To me, she is just crazy and well on her way to becoming "The Cat Lady". People keep asking me if I think she is suicidal. My response has been that I won't be surprised if I get that phone call. I just don't want my kids to be involved with something like that.
I'm stoked the kids are here. There are so many things I want to do, but mostly just stabilize their lives.
i was raised by a mom like that, its really sux:( glad to hear they're goin to a better home!!!:)

AV137
06-05-2007, 01:04 PM
CBadDad,
went through it 14 years ago. Go for it was the best thing I ever did.
Being a single dad isn't easy but the kids are all growing up just fine. been a long haul. Good Luck. Do it for the kids.

06-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Good Luck and hope you get them full time
maybe we could get my ex son of a bitch ( oops ex son in law)
to get with your ex wife lol just a though

Quest4Fun
06-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Good Luck CB, sounds like the kids have already been through a lot. Just be there to listen to them and give lots of hugs.

HokeySon
06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks Barbigirl, I may take you up on that.
You need a lawyer now!! This ain't family court -- it is dependency court -- as in making the children wards of the state. They are trying to terminate the mother's parental rights -- or in their words, "provide her with services to help her become a better parent" which means if she doesn't play ball with the services her rights are terminated. But that just leaves things up in the air for you. You need legal custody.
If there is a divorce or custody agreement or order, you can probably run into family court to get custody that way at least temporarily. Talk to Barbigirl's firm or your divorce lawyer or something, but get some advice quick. Get out in front of this as you do not want to lose all control through the dependency court.
Sorry to ring the alarm bell, but some good advice now will save you some headaches later. You can drop me a pmail if you want to. I try not to do family law, but I have some dependency court cases (although I am really a business lawyer, I take other cases for friends and family).

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 01:24 PM
hearts go out to you my brother Im off too fight my wicked witch of the north this week in norcal so totally feel for you.
VIVA lA Hot boat dads!!!!!!
Good luck dude, just keep fighting the good fight. The truth will prevail in the end. It ain't easy, but nothing worth having is. Best of luck to ya.

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 01:40 PM
You need a lawyer now!! This ain't family court -- it is dependency court -- as in making the children wards of the state. They are trying to terminate the mother's parental rights -- or in their words, "provide her with services to help her become a better parent" which means if she doesn't play ball with the services her rights are terminated. But that just leaves things up in the air for you. You need legal custody.
If there is a divorce or custody agreement or order, you can probably run into family court to get custody that way at least temporarily. Talk to Barbigirl's firm or your divorce lawyer or something, but get some advice quick. Get out in front of this as you do not want to lose all control through the dependency court.
Sorry to ring the alarm bell, but some good advice now will save you some headaches later. You can drop me a pmail if you want to. I try not to do family law, but I have some dependency court cases (although I am really a business lawyer, I take other cases for friends and family).
I know that the time to strike is when the iron is hot. I'm gonna wait until CPS meets with the Ex and see how it goes. I figure she'll have enough rope to hang herself (figuratively, of coarse). But there are a couple of issues that come into play.
1, My work schedule - I'm a firefighter and work 24 hour shifts. Talking to the social worker though, it seems I can work around that.
2, Money - Lawyers are EXPENSIVE. A phone call will cost me $250. I think I'll be better off waiting to see how things unfold. CPS doesn't want to take my kids away from me. They just want to protect them from her. Last week when they told me that they could go to her house, that I could either take them or they would go to foster homes (seperately). Duh, no brainer.
3, Kids need their mother too. In a perfect world, she'll get the help she needs. Everyone will be better off if she does. I keep hoping for the best. But if it doesn't work out, I'll be here to cushion their fall.

DesertGirl
06-05-2007, 03:45 PM
What exactly did she do to get the kids taken from her? We are going through a similiar situation. Dezertriders Ex wife was just charged with child neglect.

Baja Big Dog
06-05-2007, 04:07 PM
CBad is an abbreviation for the city of Carlsbad...........
Did you think for a minute that I thought he was a bad dad? If I did I sure as hell wouldnt wish him good luck!!!

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 07:14 PM
What exactly did she do to get the kids taken from her? We are going through a similiar situation. Dezertriders Ex wife was just charged with child neglect.
Same here...No phone, water, gas or electricity in the house and she was never around. Obvious mental illness and possibly substance abuse. My kids were actually hungry and fighting over food when they were at her house. We had shared custody 50/50. CPS said they couldn't go back to her house until the power and water were turned on and there was food in the house.
Makes me sad to think about it. :(

TCN
06-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Good luck with this. I hope you get your kids and I hope she get's help.

CBadDad
06-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm seriously wondering why you'd let your kids go back to that environment? I'm not trying to denigrate you in any way, but I raised my kids with very little help from the time they were born and if me and the mrs ever split up, I'd never allow my kids to be in that kind of situation.
No phone, water, gas, electricity or food in the house? How could any law enforcement agency blame you if you didn't take them back? I'd go get my kids, tell your ex they're not coming back and immediately hire a lawyer to get some sort of injunction against her for neglecting your kids.
Maybe I'm not expressing myself very well, but I initiated CPS, they took the kids out of their mothers house and I have them until she gets her shit together. What more am I suppose to do?

Bling Bling
06-05-2007, 09:32 PM
CBadDad,
went through it 14 years ago. Go for it was the best thing I ever did.
Being a single dad isn't easy but the kids are all growing up just fine. been a long haul. Good Luck. Do it for the kids.
I hear this alot, AV137 pat your self on the back, you probably did the best thing in your life. BTW, sweet ride in your avatar.
CBadBad, it sounds like you no what to do already, but what ever it takes get your kids in a safe permanent enviroment. The thing you said about your 24 hour shifts, I don't now how old your kids are but my wife is a day care provider and she has a child kinda with the same dilema. His parents work in the medical field and alot of the time when he's here with us there shifts require him to spend the night. My wife is one of those rare incredible day care providers, and It's a long shot but maybe you can find a person you trust, and have a similar situation. Good luck, and when it comes to kids in this type of problem, I don't know you but if there's anything I can help with just ask.

Forkin' Crazy
06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Maybe I'm not expressing myself very well, but I initiated CPS, they took the kids out of their mothers house and I have them until she gets her shit together. What more am I suppose to do?
Get a lawyer and have her claimed as an unfit mother then get full custody. A friend of mine had to do that. I sincerely hate this for you and your children. I wish you good luck and hope you succeed!!!

Riverdog1
06-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys.
Right there with ya buddy. I had one like that, when I couldn't handle the crap anymore...well, last I heard she was living out of her car. Glad you at least got the kids so you can keep them on a good path...Good Luck man:)

Longtime Lurker
06-06-2007, 06:10 AM
CBD,
I'm a social worker for CPS. You did the right thing for your kids (and the ex), good for you. If you have any questions, drop me a PM, I can give you a run down of what to expect.
Robert

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Good Luck. Glad the kids are in a better place. :)

topless
06-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Let's say she gets the electricity turned back on and buys some food, she gets the kids back and this happens again? Do not send them back and go to court. Like evryone said, you need an attorney. Make sure she has visitation but only supervised until she gets her act together. I wish the best for you and the kids especially. Keep us updated.

bocco
06-06-2007, 08:30 AM
If you get full custody you should no longer have to pay child support to the ex which could help offset the legal costs.

driverno8
06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
My dad is a retired from the LACoFD. Yes, those 24 hour shift are going to be brutal. But it's only 10 days a month. The other 20 your home with your kids. Not to many people with jobs can say they're able to work full-time and still have 2/3 month to spend with the kids. My dad was always home growing up. It was cool. The kids, and you, don't know how lucky they've got it having dad around that much.

Dezertrider
06-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Way to go DAD,,,, My X just sliped up a little forcing my son to drink Liquid Dish Soap. I tried to help her understand that is considered Poisoning. CPS helped me prove my point. She and her new husband have charges of child neglect on them now.
They have always taken fairly good care of the kids (Food and water ;) ect.) but they really screwed up and if they do it again I will take care of the kids for her.
I feel good about the way things are because if the roles were reversed I would hope she filed against me.
Take care of those kids!!!!!!

PunkAssBitch
06-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Best of luck to you & your kiddo's CBdad. We're in a sort-of similar boat as you at the moment. Long story short...we have called in CPS to help us out here...to keep our mentally ill 16 yr old son OUT of our home.

CBadDad
06-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Best of luck to you & your kiddo's CBdad. We're in a sort-of similar boat as you at the moment. Long story short...we have called in CPS to help us out here...to keep our mentally ill 16 yr old son OUT of our home.
Wow! That's gotta be tuff. I work in the inner city and run on homeless (means mentally ill/unstable) all of the time. All of those people have family that have just run out of patience with them. It's really sad. Just like my exwife, I couldn't stand it anymore and got out before I killed her. Then I felt bad for the kids and did what I thought was best for them and split custody 50/50. I think her family is about done too. In a perfect world, she'd get the help she needs and the kids would have their mom around, but she wouldn't get help when we were together (and she had good insurance) I am not optimistic about her getting the help she needs now.
Things aren't looking good right now. For what ever reason, she didn't meet with the social worker again yesterday. Maybe they'll meet today. I heard that she cashed out her 401(k) and was able to get the utilities back on, but obviously that is just a temporary fix and we'll be here again in a few months if something substancial in her life doesn't change.

Deano
06-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Without getting into too much detail, I just went through this a month ago. I went to my lawyer on Tuesday, set up a Parley hearing for Friday and had full custody Friday afternoon.
By far the best thing that has ever happened to me. Being a single dad is a hard road, but well worth it. Chicks dig on the whole "my puppy" thing too:D Fortunately, I have family and friends helping me while I lurk on ***boat:D The kids are #1..Do what you need to do! good luck

CBadDad
06-09-2007, 10:44 AM
The ex-monster still doesn't "get it", but she's playing along nicely. She got visitation rights every weekend and the kids will be with me during the week. It almost works out perfectly, me having the kids during the school week and then getting weekends off. She finally got off of her fat arse and got a job, so hopefully that will keep her busy and her mind clear.
This has been tuff on my girlfriend, but I think she is gonna be O.K., she get's a little pissy when it comes to my time and the kids (she has none), but in the end she always "steps up to the plate". She stays over at my house with kids when I am away at work (usually averages one night a week). I think there is something to the fact that I keep tellin' her to "shove off" if its not working for her - and she's never heard that before.

cc322
06-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey Brett just read this, hope everything works out in your favor.

juicy noodle
06-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Good luck with your children, they are lucky to have a caring father to fight for them....