PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed - Utility Van

shueman
06-06-2007, 02:55 AM
So I got this new gig as a parts chaser / driver with Eliminator in Mira Loma, CA. They just acquired this little Nissan Diesel box van for runnin' around town... :cool:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2892IMG0193-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2892IMG0192-med.JPG
The boss is thinking about having 'someone' drive it cross-country to Daytona, AND possibly adding a hitch to tow a 22' boat to the races in July.
Anybody ever used one of this vans for long-distance or towing small boats..??
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cheap Thrills
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
I Use to drive a Hino service truck for an ATV dealership. The Hino is almost identical to the Fuso and Nissan. We even towed a 20' trailer loaded with ATVs. It wasn't too bad but would be an uncomfortable SOB for long distance hauls.
Take a seat cushion and some pain relievers Non narcotic.
Don't forget your log book and stop at all weight stations since you'll be more than 150 mi. radius of your home base in a commercial motor vehicle.
If you have a beer on the way a .04 will get you a DUI. in a commercial vehicle.
Good Luck
C.T. :wink:

curtis73
06-06-2007, 10:06 PM
agreed. If you don't mind stopping at a chiropractor every few cities, and don't mind crawling over the hills at 35 mph, do it. I've owned a few and I wouldnt' do it.
Those trucks are geared and powered for short range highway or inner city duty. If you think about it, they can have up to a 25,000 lb GVW with a 125 hp 4-banger diesel and 4.88 gears. That screams reliable inner-city delivery, not cross-country towing.
Let me put it this way... you don't see them towing anything on the interstates for a reason. :)
In CA you can also declare the vehicle under 16,000 GVW and then you don't fall under DOT commercial stuff. You don't have to stop at weigh stations, fill out log books, and (very important) you then fall under the 0.08 BAC alcohol rule :) Some states require that you post "not for hire" on the vehicle somewhere, but really I wouldn't worry about commercial laws with a truck so close to the cutoff. You never see a Hino in a weigh station :) Heck, I drove motor coaches for 6 years and the only time I went into weigh stations was in DC where it was required. The rest of the time you just went past them.

shueman
06-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys for the respones.
I totally agree...the ride is MURDER on the neck and back. I brought back 2 engines and 3 outdrives from Teague the other day, and it still bounced around pretty good....:eek:
We're getting the hitch installed now, then chrome the wheels. It listed at 14,500 GVW in the book, so good news on the DOT front. I've been watchin' the road....hardly a hitch in sight around town...:)
Thanks again,
shueman

OCMerrill
06-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I have three Isuzu NPR's (very simular to that Nissan) and the thought of having to go accross the country sounds horrible.
The reason the truck you drive is very rough is the extreamly short wheel base. They ride like crap anyway but that short WB...:eek:. Is that a 10' box?
By the way I have pulled my Lavey behind mine many times but only to move it from home to storage, etc. No trips.
We normally pull construction trailers with them but not daily.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC00387.JPG
The NPR's I have are 175hp so its better but they are not speedy even empty. Run late you have to make a call as time cannot be made up.:)
We run them loaded at 14k lbs daily and the get about 11-12 mpg and they are SEVERE duty, designed to be miss treated. Two of my trucks are over 200k in miles with no issues at all.
Also the 16K GVWR comments above???? With a commercial vehicle in CA (non pick-up truck based) private or not over 10k in GVWR needs a motor carrier permit, CA numbers, and weight stickers. The CHP is going to be giving all you F450, 550 owners nice fat commercial tickets. I have to be annually inspected because I have more that two trucks and was told this by a commercial CHP. Now that is for CA. As far as DOT (multi state) is concerned...?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC00795.JPG