PDA

View Full Version : Whatever you need is free at Home Depot

DILLIGAF
06-06-2007, 07:16 AM
WTF! This is just wrong. I guess it is time to go ahhhh, hmmmmm, shopping for some free stuff :)
Home Depot employees fired for catching shoplifters
Posted Jun 6th 2007 10:45AM by Brian White
Filed under: Bad news, Home Depot (HD), Employees
When a suspected shoplifter is heading out the door, what are employees to do? In some retail chains, there are "loss prevention" employees trained in handling these types of situations, but in others, normal employees are sometimes left to task (intentionally or not). Employees of a Home Depot (NYSE: HD) in Midwest City, Oklahoma performed an admirable act in May, when four of them apparently assisted police in catching suspected shoplifters -- and then were fired from their jobs.
The shoplifters tried running from the location with stolen lawn equipment, and four Home Depot employees worked with police to stop and apprehend the shoplifters as they tried to escape. The problem with those employee actions is stated in a Home Depot memo that reads, "associates cannot accuse, detain, chase or call the police on any customer for shoplifting."
While there was a "loss prevention" employee stationed at the Home Depot location in question, one of the fired employees is now stating that the company is selectively enforcing the policy that associates can't assist in apprehensions. One of the fired employees said that he saw the merchandise being taken from the store, even as the loss prevention employee told other employees to just tell the shoplifters to "have a nice day."
That did not sit well with these four employees, who asked if the shoplifters had a receipt for the merchandise in their possession -- and a chase ensued. Although the Midwest City police have stated that part (or all) of the goods would not have been recovered without the help of these employees, Home Depot is sticking by its guns and enforcing what appears to be an inconsistently-followed policy when it comes to a situation of this type.

Jordy
06-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey, that's good to know!!! :D :D :D

Ziggy
06-06-2007, 07:20 AM
yup, clean getaway and then a thank you card to Home Depot the next day:)

catman-do
06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Looks like i know where im going to get that new bbq!! Hell, i might even ask the employees to help me assemble it.... Maybe after come back for seconds and get the island and palapa to accompany my new bbq.

Jyruiz
That is freaking stupid.

DILLIGAF
i like it better when you cry about the clippers ....... :confused: "i'm a lowes man myself" !!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: ;) d-no
LOL....I got a little tired of all the arguing....and shit.
Will be down in Parker later this month. Staying at JT's. If you are around maybe a beer is in order.....

Wet Dream
06-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey, that's good to know!!! :D :D :D
Why do you always have to cause arguements with a response like that? ;)

goneboatin
06-06-2007, 09:05 AM
....a Home Depot memo that reads, "associates cannot accuse, detain, chase or call the police on any customer for shoplifting."
Then it is not shoplifting - it's unauthorized reappropriating of merchandise.

Lightning
06-06-2007, 09:14 AM
I was at the Deep returning something once and saw this guy try to walk out the front door with a cart full of power tools. The cashier yelled stop four times and then 3 employees came running and tackled the guy and his buddy who was with them. They cuffed them with zip ties and waited for the cops. It was quite exciting, the employees were amped that they got some action.

Baja Big Dog
06-06-2007, 09:15 AM
WTF! This is just wrong. I guess it is time to go ahhhh, hmmmmm, shopping for some free stuff :)
Home Depot employees fired for catching shoplifters
Posted Jun 6th 2007 10:45AM by Brian White
Filed under: Bad news, Home Depot (HD), Employees
When a suspected shoplifter is heading out the door, what are employees to do? In some retail chains, there are "loss prevention" employees trained in handling these types of situations, but in others, normal employees are sometimes left to task (intentionally or not). Employees of a Home Depot (NYSE: HD) in Midwest City, Oklahoma performed an admirable act in May, when four of them apparently assisted police in catching suspected shoplifters -- and then were fired from their jobs.
The shoplifters tried running from the location with stolen lawn equipment, and four Home Depot employees worked with police to stop and apprehend the shoplifters as they tried to escape. The problem with those employee actions is stated in a Home Depot memo that reads, "associates cannot accuse, detain, chase or call the police on any customer for shoplifting."
While there was a "loss prevention" employee stationed at the Home Depot location in question, one of the fired employees is now stating that the company is selectively enforcing the policy that associates can't assist in apprehensions. One of the fired employees said that he saw the merchandise being taken from the store, even as the loss prevention employee told other employees to just tell the shoplifters to "have a nice day."
That did not sit well with these four employees, who asked if the shoplifters had a receipt for the merchandise in their possession -- and a chase ensued. Although the Midwest City police have stated that part (or all) of the goods would not have been recovered without the help of these employees, Home Depot is sticking by its guns and enforcing what appears to be an inconsistently-followed policy when it comes to a situation of this type.
They need to follow up this memo it one stating...IS IT WORTH YOUR FRICKEN LIFE TO GET A FRICKEN LAWNMOWER BACK WHEN THESE ASSSHOLES SHOT YOU....DUMBASSS.....

driverno8
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I have a friend that works Loss Prevention for Sears. Anything worth less the $20 they're not allowed to go after the person. And that's the Loss Prevention guy? So anything you want under $20 from Sears is your for the taking.

RiverToysJas
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
My next door neighbor is a loss prevention employee at Home Depot......perhaps I'll just ask him to bring me home what I need!!!
RTJas :D

HokeySon
06-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Prime example of fear of legal liability overcoming common sense. I am sure the idea is that only the loss prevention guys are supposed to do anythng, because they are "trained" and the company doesn't want to face a lawsuit for false imprisonment because the other employees stopped someone without having the proper "training."
With this policy the Co. can point to the policy manual and say the employee was not authorized to apprehend anyone. Clears the Co. of liability, but leaves the employee hangin'. Also, the company doesn't want to get sued from an employee that gets hurt chasing down a bad guy. Our "legal" society run amuck.

USCFAN
06-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I have friend who is a manager for Home Depot. I have heard him say in the past that the rule is for legal purposes. They don't want some employee chasing a shoplifter over a $40.00 item, getting into a confrontation and someone winding up hurt. Be it the thief or the shoplifter. I guess it just boils down to they don't want a lawsuit, and loss prevention knows the proper steps to take to try and prevent a bad situation.

YeLLowBoaT
06-06-2007, 09:34 AM
fook that... have a nice day... no wonder thier prices are high... they must have some killer shrink.
Then again, I don't ever think I've met a smart hd empolyee... even the mangers and shit are dumb asses. I've actaully had to get a osha inspector to one of thier stores to stop a jack ass manager using a hilti at the front door... you are cuasing hearing loss to every one with in 50 ft with every shot... he did not get the message when I told him you need to stop, your endangering every ones hearing and vision...( we are talking about 20 mins of it...) funny how when osha arrived he was all "I didn't know" and shit... He kept saying he had to get this done... um you guys are closed at night... you could have done it then jack ass.
If I had a quater for every time HD has ticked me off... I would be a very rich man. They really don't give a shit about people that spend thousands( and some times 10s of thousands) there a year. On the other hand, lowes sends me gift cards about every 4-6 months and coupons for free power tools... last one was for a mag 77 skil saw. Not to mention they actaully have people that some what know what they are doing.

Havasu1
06-06-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey, I have been needing a new lawnmower. I was going to go to Lowes but Home Depot looks like a better option. :devil:

Forkin' Crazy
06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Homo Depot sucks. The last two times I went there; they were out of what I wanted... seems they forgot to restock.:idea:
Last time I went there.

Forkin' Crazy
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
They need to follow up this memo it one stating...IS IT WORTH YOUR FRICKEN LIFE TO GET A FRICKEN LAWNMOWER BACK WHEN THESE ASSSHOLES SHOT YOU....DUMBASSS.....
I don't think some one shop lifting from HD will be packin'. :rolleyes:

HavaSkank
06-06-2007, 10:31 AM
The Lowes in Havasu cut the balls off of Home Depot by building just a few short blocks South. It was a check-mate move and Im sure sent some HD heads rolling

CA Stu
06-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Prime example of fear of legal liability overcoming common sense. I am sure the idea is that only the loss prevention guys are supposed to do anythng, because they are "trained" and the company doesn't want to face a lawsuit for false imprisonment because the other employees stopped someone without having the proper "training."
With this policy the Co. can point to the policy manual and say the employee was not authorized to apprehend anyone. Clears the Co. of liability, but leaves the employee hangin'. Also, the company doesn't want to get sued from an employee that gets hurt chasing down a bad guy. Our "legal" society run amuck.
This is exactly the reason. Add to this that if an employee touches the suspected shoplifter, they can be sued for assault.
It sucks, obviously, but it's a sign of the times, I guess.
Thanks
CA Stu <-- needs some wrenches, Hello Sears!

wolfie
06-06-2007, 10:33 AM
You know...HD has those trucks you can rent. Maybe they'll lend one to me to take home some of my shoplifted goods...or better yet, maybe they'll just deliver them to me!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Cigalert
06-06-2007, 10:36 AM
There's a bad ass security guard at the HD in Garden Grove, about 5'2" 104lbs, he yells at all the day laborers with a megaphone when they come onto the property. I roll up in one of my walk-in vans from time to time and ask for a minimum of 10 guys...because I figure hey, I got the room. I entice them all to cross the line with the security guard and then I bolt. Aside from these fleeting moments for my personal pleasure home depot is good for nothing.

Baja Big Dog
06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't think some one shop lifting from HD will be packin'. :rolleyes:
Yea and kids wont pack at school either???:confused:

HavaSkank
06-06-2007, 10:47 AM
A 5' 2", 104 lbs security guard? Hell, I could take that phucker