PDA

View Full Version : Screwing question???

SUBPRIME
06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Sorry wanted to get everyone's attention, the screws on one of the four legs that hold my bolsters in the boat, the screws do not hold from being stripped I guess, I've tried to tighten them and there is just no hold....
So what's the best way to get that thing screwed right? is there something I could shoot in the old holes and then reinsert the screws?
Any advice?

rrrr
06-06-2007, 01:37 PM
If possible, rotate the base at the bottom of the leg so you can drill new pilot holes and insert the screws in different locations.
Use 3M 5200 to set the screws.

TAF
06-06-2007, 01:39 PM
just buy a new boat:sqeyes: :D

MR FLYIN VEE
06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Sorry wanted to get everyone's attention, the screws on one of the four legs that hold my bolsters in the boat, the screws do not hold from being stripped I guess, I've tried to tighten them and there is just no hold....
So what's the best way to get that thing screwed right? is there something I could shoot in the old holes and then reinsert the screws?
Any advice? Tap some toothpicks in the hole as many as you can,then try to put the screw back in and see if it holds:)

RiverDave
06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Tap some toothpicks in the hole as many as you can,then try to put the screw back in and see if it holds:)
To echo the Vee's, break some toothpicks in half, and shove them in the holes, then rerun your existing screws back in.
RD

dunaholic
06-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Liquid nails, those screws will never come out after that.

RiverDave
06-06-2007, 03:07 PM
I never had that good of luck with that to be honest.. I didn't hold as well as I figured it would.
RD

vee-driven
06-06-2007, 03:09 PM
you could put some mollys in the holes, like you would with drywall.

Ziggy
06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
You can always size up the screw too

bordsmnj
06-06-2007, 03:26 PM
5 minute epoxy with 1/16" bigger screw:D let me know how it works i've never tried it:eek:

Little Wood Boat
06-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Use a couple of pieces of nylon weed whacker string at least as long as the screw that's being used. Works really well on stripped out holes in waterskis. LWB

SUBPRIME
06-06-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't know if I want the screws to be permantly in, the bolsters might have to come out sometime down the road for mods or appolstry(sp?)
and I'm not a 100% sure but I think the screw is as big as the whole on the base of the bolster, so I don't think going a screw size bigger is the answer either:idea:

zudnic
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok I realize real dolls are a tad expensive.... You want to solve your screwing question; find your local stroll!!!! :D

spectras only
06-06-2007, 08:59 PM
Previous owner did this on my boat . While it seems to hold well [ after several hard poker runs ] it's a bit of an eyesore that needs to be covered with snap in carpet.
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Bolster%201.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Bolster%203.JPG
If I'm right the 28 Nordic has an inner liner ? What I'd do is , installing round inspection plates under the seat and use through bolts .You must make sure there's no stringer in the way where you want to install the inspection plates.