PDA

View Full Version : Need help with credit info

bocco
06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
My daughter got her purse stolen out of her car about 3 weeks ago. She cancelled all of her cards and got a new license.
Today she recieved several new fraudulent credit cards in the mail with bills to go with them. Is there a good way to find out if there are more cards in her name that she doesn't know about?
Should she just get credit check run?
Thanks
Gary

HocusPocus
06-06-2007, 03:39 PM
get a copy of her credit from the three major reporting agencies.. look for the recent inquiries and follow up on them. had this happen a couple years ago and it took several months to get it all cleared up.

voodoomedman
06-06-2007, 03:41 PM
www.myfico.com

ChumpChange
06-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Have her call the credit reporting agencies and put a freeze on her credit. This will help stop them from opening up more cards.

dunaholic
06-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Call me I will run her credit for you.
800-384-6591 X18
Chad

Mountainstone
06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Call all three credit reporting bureaus today (Equifax, Experian, Trans Union)and put a fraud alert on her file to prevent further damage. Pull her credit reports from all three bureaus and run them line by line looking for any credit item she didn't open. Make sure you get all three because credit-granting entities report to the agency that covers their region and may not report to the other two (the thieves may be applying for credit from companies all over the country). The best place to buy your reports is from myfico.com - do not use freecreditreport.com. Free reports can be had from annualcreditreport.com, but the information is limited and you only get one free one from each bureau per year. I hope you filed a police report when her stuff was stolen, 'cuz you are gonna have to call each individual creditor listed on her reports and explain what happened (the credit bureaus just report what they receive - they cannot change your file with a creditor; only you can do that). The process isn't terribly difficult, but it can be enormously time consuming. Get a speaker phone so your ear doesn't go numb, and good luck!

essexjet
06-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Call the 3 major credit reporting organizations immediately, and place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. This “fraud alert” shows that your information was stolen, and alerts financial institutions to contact you by phone before they authorize any new credit.
Social Security Administration (fraud line) 1-800-269-0271
Equifax (also know as CSC Credit Services) 1-800-685-1111
Experian (formerly TRW) 1-888-397-3742
TransUnion 1-800-888-4213

sanger rat
06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
www.lifelock.com