PDA

View Full Version : Death to all the Chiggers!

maxwedge
06-08-2007, 04:58 AM
My garage has become infested with these little bastards...
http://www.mikebaker.com/animals/hands/DSC_4825.jpg
I was laying on the garage floor working on a car I wound up with a shitload of red itchy bites all over me... So I googled the little flesh digesting bastards and just about gagged reading the description....
"Chigger larvae do not burrow into the skin, nor suck blood. They pierce the skin and inject into the host a salivary secretion containing powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up). Also, this digestive fluid causes surrounding tissues to harden, forming a straw-like feeding tube of hardened flesh (stylostome) from which further, partially-digested skin cells may be sucked out":yuk:
I tried spraying the garage down with some over the counter Spider and Mite killer, but they seem to be Imune. Anybody delt with this problem/got a solution/ pesticide that works before I spend big bucks to call an exterminator.

RitcheyRch
06-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Might be best to call a pest control company.

maxwedge
06-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Yeah that's what I thought too...until the guy quoted me $250 over the phone just to spray the garage!

jungledave
06-08-2007, 05:16 AM
My garage has become infested with these little bastards...
http://www.mikebaker.com/animals/hands/DSC_4825.jpg
I was laying on the garage floor working on a car I wound up with a shitload of red itchy bites all over me... So I googled the little flesh digesting bastards and just about gagged reading the description....
"Chigger larvae do not burrow into the skin, nor suck blood. They pierce the skin and inject into the host a salivary secretion containing powerful, digestive enzymes that break down skin cells that are ingested (tissues become liquefied and sucked up). Also, this digestive fluid causes surrounding tissues to harden, forming a straw-like feeding tube of hardened flesh (stylostome) from which further, partially-digested skin cells may be sucked out":yuk:
I tried spraying the garage down with some over the counter Spider and Mite killer, but they seem to be Imune. Anybody delt with this problem/got a solution/ pesticide that works before I spend big bucks to call an exterminator.that pic looks more like a tick but I guesss they are related and they love rock walls, floors and grass. Chiggers are easy to kill just about any pasticide but ticks are tough. I have had quite a bit of bad experiences with chiggers back in Kansas. Chiggers are pretty hard to see. Durisban pesticide is supposed to work on chiggers.

R.A.D.man
06-08-2007, 05:24 AM
Do you have a Self Chem store in your town (lots of people think they are just pool supply stores). They sell some great pesticide products. I purchased one called Dragnet there, its a concentrate, cost about 70 bucks several years ago. I know it kills and repels chiggers, plus just about everything else. The sales guys sometimes know the products, sometimes don't. here's a link to the product I bought.
http://www.pestproducts.com/permethrin.htm
I used this on everything when I had a flea and chigger outbreak at a former ranch style residence I had, yard, outside of house, carpet, deck, porch, all bugs pretty much disappeared for a long time. I did not use it one the dogs, but once I rid them of the fleas that spring and sprayed the place down, the rest of the summer was fine. I did respray a couple times that year just to make sure. That one purchase did so much, I am just now about to run out of it.

maxwedge
06-08-2007, 05:24 AM
That pic is off the internet, supposedly it's a chigger. The ones in my garage are very tiny and a lot more red in color, I didn't see them until I started looking. I also read in my search that just about any pesticide would kill them, except the stuff I bought at Lowes didn't work. Do you remember a brand name? The exterminator I called made it sound like they were harder to get rid of than the AIDS virus or something.

maxwedge
06-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanks R.A.D man. You snuck that post in while I was replying to Jungledave. No Self Chem store here, but I will see if I can find that anywhere else.

RitcheyRch
06-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Wow, thats pretty expensive.
Yeah that's what I thought too...until the guy quoted me $250 over the phone just to spray the garage!

CARLSON-JET
06-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Ya, ya, ya, salivary digestive enzyme fluid secreting bugs Yada, yada, yada. :D Get that boat done already... I heard the Illinois river contains special additives that kill these things.. Get the boat done get it in the water then go for a swim and walla.. your chigger free... Bring back a few buckets full and wash out the garage..:)
If it aint one thing it's another with you...Get a move on buster.. we're half way through the summer already. :devil: :D
How was the storm down you're way last night?
R.B.

maxwedge
06-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Ya, ya, ya, salivary digestive enzyme fluid secreting bugs Yada, yada, yada. :D Get that boat done already... I heard the Illinois river contains special additives that kill these things.. Get the boat done get it in the water then go for a swim and walla.. your chigger free... Bring back a few buckets full and wash out the garage..:)
If it aint one thing it's another with you...Get a move on buster.. we're half way through the summer already. :devil: :D
How was the storm down you're way last night?
R.B.
There was a storm last night? I must have slept through it...I know it was windy as hell all day & night.
Actually I've been working my ass off to get the boat done. In fact I painted the trailer and jet pump last Satuday in the garage and I have the bites to prove it.

Rexone
06-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Hopefully your wife won't get bit by the little bastards too.

HavaSkank
06-08-2007, 05:56 AM
I read this thread title too fast.....
I had Al Sharpton on speed dial

CARLSON-JET
06-08-2007, 05:57 AM
I've heard she doesn't complain.... much. :)

maxwedge
06-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Actually I chained her little imaginary body down to the garage floor in hopes they would eat her and leave me alone... clearly it didn't work.:D

jdf
06-08-2007, 06:21 AM
those little thing are a pain in the a$$ i say burn them

C-2
06-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Wow, my grandparents/their family are from the Ft Worth area and always told me about those things (among other great stories).
Yikes!!!!:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

boatsnblondes
06-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Bomb the garage.....go down to the local hardware store, get the aerosol bombs, 3-4, head home. Place old newspaper on the floor of the garage, plug under the garage doors, set the things off, get out of the house for the day. The DAY. That much bomb is going to be HIGHLY concentrated, and will need several hours to dissipate. After that, open the garage door, let the place air out, you should be ok. Make sure no pets are in the garage obviously, this should kill every living thing in there....good luck.....

Phat Matt
06-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Bomb the garage.....go down to the local hardware store, get the aerosol bombs, 3-4, head home. Place old newspaper on the floor of the garage, plug under the garage doors, set the things off, get out of the house for the day. The DAY. That much bomb is going to be HIGHLY concentrated, and will need several hours to dissipate. After that, open the garage door, let the place air out, you should be ok. Make sure no pets are in the garage obviously, this should kill every living thing in there....good luck.....
This should do it.
http://www.northwestflorida.com/portfolio/air_force/images/stills/moab_profile_icon_2467.jpg

spectras only
06-08-2007, 07:58 AM
I read the label on the Spray 9 bottle once . It says " kills HIV virus in seconds " . Cheap enough to buy and try . Lysol could work too .

Biglue
06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Have Tom Brown pinch a loaf in the garage. That should not only eliminate your chigger problem but could also be used to buff the concrete floor in the garage. :D

91nordic29
06-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Have Tom Brown pinch a loaf in the garage. That should not only eliminate your chigger problem but could also be used to buff the concrete floor in the garage. :D
OMG, LOL!!!:jawdrop:
PS, DON'T POKE THE BEAR! It could go the way of the bran muffin/chesse incident.

Quest4Fun
06-08-2007, 08:33 AM
My boys had Chigger bites a few years back, they can drive a person crazy they itch so bad. :( I bought a product at WalMart called Chigger-X. My kids said it worked better than anything else we tried. As far as getting rid of the little buggers - bomb the place :D

Shreve "T"
06-08-2007, 08:34 AM
We have them here in Louisiana. We call them RED BUGS..Get some Winter Green Alcohol and put it on the spot that itches,it kills the bit.

jdf
06-08-2007, 08:35 AM
thats trueWe have them here in Louisiana. We call them RED BUGS..Get some Winter Green Alcohol and put it on the spot that itches,it kills the bit.

Shreve "T"
06-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I hate the little BASTARDS.....

Nord
06-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Got to Target or Walmart and buy meliathon plus. I put this in a ortho dial a spray and spray the perimeter of my house twice a year. No ants or bugs. I probably have cancer from the times I've had contact with the product, but you won't see me battling those little critters in my House!