PDA

View Full Version : What five blade???

clearfork
06-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Hey guys,
What five blade props have you guys tried? I am running a 30" Bravo lab.
I have the imco shorty lower, loaded with all the MMW parts.
I want to be easy on my drive and I try to take care of it. Easy on , easy off. But I guess if you reduce the slippage it may take its toll as well.
I am looking to buy something in the next week, BBlades, and throttle up are on my side of the creek.
ANY suggestions? good or bad, I dont care. I just would like to educate myself as much as I can, beforehand this time.
I have seen some of the other boat types as well, and I even saw a 6 blade on a 35' L fountain yesterday. It was running XR ITS with some sort of 6 blade prop. Looked mean. The salesman said it gave the boat 5-7 over a bravo style prop. who knows though???
Anyway chime in if you have .02, I would love to hear anything that might help me.
Thanks, Michael

Havasu_Dreamin
06-08-2007, 07:53 AM
I believe that Dr. Marg was impressed with the Hydromotive 5 blade on his Howard Bullet.....

clearfork
06-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Is that tom's boat?

Havasu_Dreamin
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Is that tom's boat?
Yes.....I can't remember if it is the Hydromotive or the Maximus that he is running. Of course I don't know SQUAT about props and am just trying to recall what he said he was running.....

clearfork
06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Rumor has it that tom's boat is a 80-83mph boat.
what if any gains did he get with the 5 blade?
Do you have any idea who he went through??
I think he is also using a imco S/C drive corect?
so if it is it should be the same lower that I have.
Thanks for your help HD need to order it up before the poker runs.
I am also going to read back through the other thread I think that Lavey29 and some others are using 5 blades with some good results.
take care..........MP

kap
06-08-2007, 10:00 AM
MP:
Let's see you have a 28 Bullet wTPI--BW motor---- Hmmmm I know some one :idea: .
Have you talked to Gary he has a great deal of knowledge regarding the right prop for your boat. I imagine he's run just about everything to see what the boat does and for the intended use.
Which leads me to the next question????
You did not say what you wanted from the prop. IE---Do you want top speed---do you want hole-shot----do you want easy on the drive etc....
Also to compare a Fountain running a certain prop is not the same. Unless you know the horsepower of the motor, his overall weight, and intended use.
If it were me I would talk to Gary he would be able to give you several choices. You do not want to spend bucks on a prop only to find out it's not really what you wanted. I have three props and they all do different things well.
KAP

ToMorrow44
06-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I would venture to say that the Fountain you saw with a 6 blade was a Hering. I know all the 38 Donzi ZRs come from the factory with 5-blade Herings. That would be an interesting prop to try on your boat, but expensive and I think there's a waitlist for them correct? Ask around and see if anyone has run a Hering or one of Throttle Up's CNC props on a Howard.
-Tom

Lavey29
06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey guys,
I want to be easy on my drive and I try to take care of it. Easy on , easy off. But I guess if you reduce the slippage it may take its toll as well.
I am looking to buy something in the next week, BBlades, and throttle up are on my side of the creek.
ANY suggestions? good or bad, I dont care. I just would like to educate myself as much as I can, beforehand this time.
I have seen some of the other boat types as well, and I even saw a 6 blade on a 35' L fountain yesterday. It was running XR ITS with some sort of 6 blade prop. Looked mean. The salesman said it gave the boat 5-7 over a bravo style prop. who knows though???
Anyway chime in if you have .02, I would love to hear anything that might help me.
Thanks, Michael
Michael, I was running a labbed 32" 4 blade and when Teage did the motor upgrade, he put a 30" Hydromotive P5X on it and it seems to give better all around performance. It got higher top end and the mid range went up 3 -5 miles an hour at the same RPM as the 4 blade. I went from 19% slip with 4 blade to 10% with the 5 blade. Hering's are expensive, Throttle up sells custom CNC 5 blades also that are a little less then the Hering's. I am sure Gary has tested a variety and can give you the best info. The other responses were correct in asking what your priorities are such as top end, accelleration, cruising speed, etc...

TPI
06-10-2007, 05:38 AM
Michael,
I thought I sent you an e-mail about this?:idea: :D
I currently am testing one of my 848's in my personal boat(28 Bullet) and I have a hyromotive P5X 27P on it(that will stay on it). I have the same exact drive as you do, so it should be VERY similar. It runs 102.7 with a 30 lab and 100.3 at 5800 rpm with the P5X which was no surprise. The fact is, I am taking this boat to 3600 ft elevation(Lake Powell) and I want an efficient prop. This P5X is at 7% slip at 4700 rpm(83 mph) and at 9% at WOT.......................which will work out perfect for me.
I have tried just about everything on these Bullets and the fact is NOTHING will run a better top speed number than a Merc Lab, and no five blade will keep the boat stable and still bite like a P5X. Those are your only choices. The MMW billet lower(1" short) and 29 P5X on Steves 28 Bullet will run 110+ in any condition and handle flawlessly.
EVERYONE with a high performance 25/28 Bullet(700+hp) should have that lower on there boat,,,,,,it's unreal,,,,,,,,,,,,PERIOD.

kap
06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
I would consider that gospel on prop selection MP.
:D :D :D .
KAP

NashvilleBound
06-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Personally Michael I would get the Hydromotive 6 blade. For your setup with abundant HP the little bit of extra drag will not effect you where the extra blades will help with your...uh.....walking ;)
Your welcome to try my Labbed Maximus......

TPI
06-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Yah Michael,
Put that labbed Maximus on it! You will really love it:confused:

NashvilleBound
06-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Yah Michael,
Put that labbed Maximus on it! You will really love it:confused:
Come on now...I know its not the right pitch.... but it would be a nice hole shot!! It was a joke slim....... :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
At least I would be able to keep up with him :D :D

TPI
06-10-2007, 04:40 PM
LOL NB,
Its not the pitch, they just wont work on a fast Bullet.
I just dont want to confuse Michael:D :D :D

NashvilleBound
06-10-2007, 05:44 PM
LOL NB,
Its not the pitch, they just wont work on a fast Bullet.
I just dont want to confuse Michael:D :D :D
LOL...Copy that!!! It's uh.....easily done :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

clearfork
06-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Well,
Sounds like I need the p5x in a 27. I would exspect that the 29 would be to tall. I have talked with the folks at Throttle up and they agree, also would agree that these props are pricey.
I guess you guys are right, I wasnt looking for total top end speed the Bravo does that very well. I guess I was looking for a all around prop.
Something that I can cruise with and give the occasional romp at the exspense of a little top end. That sounds like what we all agree the p5x will do.
Gary, yes sir, we have talked about this before. I am sorry about the email, I am pretty good about printing off any advice you give me so that I can refer to it later. But for some reason I could not find our correspondance. sorry.
I thank you guys for your input. And once again I thank you Gary for your advice, it is good to hear from you.
I guess it is time to get the checkbook out and spend my allowance.
thanks again guys, I apreciate your efforts.

dr. margarita
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Michael,
Hope this response finds you in good health! Nice to hear from you. I'm running a stock 26P P5X Hydromotive and love it. Boat ran 84mph on it which has been my personnal best although I have not tried a prop tailored for top end numbers. The handling, acceleration and fuel consumption (lack thereof) are all superb when comparing to the four blades. As always, Gary's recommendations are right on the mark. In terms of your concern on the drive durability, I simply think it is a function of making sure the pitch and/or diameter of the 5 blade prop is not too large.

Lavey29
06-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Michael,
Hope this response finds you in good health! Nice to hear from you. I'm running a stock 26P P5X Hydromotive and love it. Boat ran 84mph on it which has been my personnal best although I have not tried a prop tailored for top end numbers. The handling, acceleration and fuel consumption (lack thereof) are all superb when comparing to the four blades. As always, Gary's recommendations are right on the mark. In terms of your concern on the drive durability, I simply think it is a function of making sure the pitch and/or diameter of the 5 blade prop is not too large.
Hey Dr. M. You still trying to sell that beauty? If so, I will email my friend who is in the market for a 26-30 V right now..

clearfork
06-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Hey Dr. marg.
Yes sir, very good to hear from you as well. I would have to say you have a beautiful boat. i have looked at the pictures in your ad. Stunning. That looks like a million bucks out on the water. Nice job.
That has to be my second favorite ever..... J/K.
Yep, i have had a few conversations about the prop. selection. I agree with you, gary and the others. My biggest concern is my drive so that is why i am a little leary to fix what aint really broke.
My buddy at the prop shop has actually offered to send multiple props out and even come with me, so we shall see.
Once again very good to hear from you guys, I wish you well. Take care and hopefully we will see you on the water..............Michael

dr. margarita
06-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Hey Dr. M. You still trying to sell that beauty? If so, I will email my friend who is in the market for a 26-30 V right now..
Thanks for the consideration! It is for sale and available for test rides and viewing in Valencia, CA. The latest is I may be purchasing the Howard Sportdeck. This opens up some options for the prospective buyer of my current Bullet. I'd be interested in transferring my Pfaff motor and IMCO drive to the Sportdeck thus giving the prospective buyer of my Bullet any brand new motor of their choice! Also would be willing to sell as is...
I have lots of images I can email to any interested party. Thanks again!
The boat is in brand new , show room condition.

Lavey29
06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the consideration! It is for sale and available for test rides and viewing in Valencia, CA. The latest is I may be purchasing the Howard Sportdeck. This opens up some options for the prospective buyer of my current Bullet. I'd be interested in transferring my Pfaff motor and IMCO drive to the Sportdeck thus giving the prospective buyer of my Bullet any brand new motor of their choice! Also would be willing to sell as is...
Dr. M, can you PM me the info or link with pics and I will forward it to my friend...

TPI
06-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I have two brand new 848's that would fit nicely in that red 28 Bullet.:D if Tom keeps his motor. One of them is in my personal boat right now being "broken in", and we just ran an easy 100.3 with it. The other is on display at Absolute in Havasu.
Sorry for hijacking the thread........................................

dr. margarita
06-15-2007, 07:50 AM
I share in that apology!

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 07:54 AM
So, am I to understand that the Red Barron is back in TN again? Are we keeping the boat now? I about snapped my neck with the head-turn, as I last heard it was back at it's birthplace for sale. Just curious.

TPI
06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I think it might be in TN now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not for long. I think it might be headed west a little bit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but what do I know. I know that all of this prop talk probably isnt going to make a difference anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I know that.:D
I am headed to Powell for 2 weeks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you all have fun;)

clearfork
06-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Hello Beer30,
Yes the Red Barron is back in TN....She is all snuggled up in my shop, I spent quite a bit of time today cleaning her up again.. sure is pretty now.
There has been alot of water under the bridge, all good, but she is home.
As far as a westbound trip, Yes someone has offered to buy the boat. I am continuing my search for the perfect prop anyway. There are two gentlemen close by with H. P5x or two. The jury is still out.... I am not sure that the gains would necessitaite the monetary loss. I havent seen any money so I still call her my own. My plan for the moment is to procure a prop before the TN river run in July. We'll see.........
I do not relish the idea of being boat less the rest of the summer, I have thoroughly enjoyed driving the boat this year. The summer has been dry with little humidity and air temps in the mid 80's and water temps in the mid to high 70's. Perfect boating weather and the boat is running very very well.
One thing though is for sure, we are all proud of our boats. I enjoy telling everyone that passes about my Howard and Gary's beautiful engine. There is alot of blood sweat and tears in the making of this boat and it shows. Most folks around have seen a runabout or two, but not many powerboats. The ones they have seen are usually Baja's or fountains. Very nice boats in their own right, but my howard is different, totally. I have enjoyed telling people about the boat and showing them under the hatch. Once I lift the hatch is when all the questions begin, it is truely fun. To talk about the motor then tell them what it is capable of.
A couple of days ago, as I was pullin out, Jeff with the un listed name (aka Nashville bound) went by and a gentleman came up and was commenting on the incredible sound that it made. I probably spent 45 minutes talking with him about my boat and Jeff's boat. He was interested in the pros and cons of each design and the differences between the two boats. I think that I was just as excited about telling him as he was listening. I told him about a couple of places close by he could look and what I thought we be a good starting point for him. It was very cool to pass on some of the things that I have learned and turn somebody on to a hobby we all love so much. I think he was looking at a Advantage at the new store in Hendersonville today...more to come..
I guess bottom line... yes I may be selling my boat, but I have sincerely enjoyed this boat. I am as proud today as I was a year ago.
I also wanted to say thanks to you guys for your help, I have really enjoyed some of the things I have learned and the friendships I have made.
Always a good ride.....
Gary, I wish I could join you, sounds like a good time.
I hope you and your family have a good trip and enjoy some good memories and some well deserved R n R. Be well.
Take care fellas, Michael

Beer-30
06-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Hello Beer30,
Yes the Red Barron is back in TN....She is all snuggled up in my shop, I spent quite a bit of time today cleaning her up again.. sure is pretty now.
There has been alot of water under the bridge, all good, but she is home.
Good for you. Glad to see she is home. Way too nice of a boat not to be on the water. Use that thing until you do sell it. Internal combustion engines don't like to sit.

NashvilleBound
06-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I guess since I posted all those pics of you here on HB your using my first and last name..... Just a little FYI slim.... Im not listed ;) All good tho... :D :D :D
Missed you on the lake today Michael Prince.... ;) We waited for you at the jump spot till 11ish....then headed to Pine Creek where you buzzed us. You should have stopped. We were with our good friends and you would have enjoyed meeting them. Well be out at least twice this week then headed to Rosemary Beach the 23rd.....you better show....we have 5 extra bedrooms.... and not for just one day :idea: :idea:

clearfork
06-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry NB,
Sorry If i blew your cover, James.
I believe a call to the witness protection program might be in order, they usually will relocate you for free. No really, sorry for dropping the "name".
As far as saturday goes, I guess we got our lines crossed. I waited for about 20 minutes at the Jump spot. LAP decided she was HUNGRY. So off we go to find a comfortable spot to eat. The fly by was initiated so we could have our little picnic on Parker's favorite beach. By the time we ate and swam back to the boat you guys must have packed up. I am sorry, I thought that you guys would be out longer. we got a late start, ( helping my neighbor ) and got on the water at 1045. We stayed out till almost 1730. So a good day on the lake. I am sorrry we missed you, You have to understand I got outvoted because of the beach.
Scheduling the s/b trip may be fun as well. I will call you on the way to work tommorow and we will discuss your plans. We are excited about coming, I have yet to see you let down your hair.............
No seriously sorry about the name thing I was unaware.
MP

clearfork
06-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Ask me about my run in with the nice gentleman in the mastercraft,..........
funny but not so funny too.......
Some people on the weekends seem to leave their common sense and courtesy at the docks......almost lost my religion there for a few minutes...
mp

NashvilleBound
06-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Dang, I always miss the excitement.... Ill be available all day tomorrow...call me....I gotta hear this story :D :D

SPUDWIG
06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
I just tried a Hydomotive p5x on my 24 Schiada. Unbelievable stability and performance. A little on the expensive side $1k but well worth the extra money.
Hey guys,
Thanks, Michael

hotlavey
07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I would venture to say that the Fountain you saw with a 6 blade was a Hering. I know all the 38 Donzi ZRs come from the factory with 5-blade Herings. That would be an interesting prop to try on your boat, but expensive and I think there's a waitlist for them correct? Ask around and see if anyone has run a Hering or one of Throttle Up's CNC props on a Howard.
-Tom
Hering was the prop that worked the best on my Lavey 2750. The best we could do with a Maximus was 86. Put on the 5 blade 30 Hering and ran 91 GPS. Also tried the 26 Hydro P5X and the boat did not like it at all so it is now for sale.

scarabrick2
07-18-2007, 04:37 AM
I have a merc racing 26 maximus. no hub
ran it on a 270 step Hallett
Dropped the slip # way doown lost 1/2 mph on the top end 76 mph on gps was 77 mph on gps. GAINED 5 MPH @ CRUISING speed. prop is totally the best for the boat set-up.. Having the engine up-graded so the prop has to go . need more pitch
p/m vegas hallett for prop or search spam

HALLETT BOY
07-18-2007, 06:57 AM
I have a merc racing 26 maximus. no hub
ran it on a 270 step Hallett
Dropped the slip # way doown lost 1/2 mph on the top end 76 mph on gps was 77 mph on gps. GAINED 5 MPH @ CRUISING speed. prop is totally the best for the boat set-up.. Having the engine up-graded so the prop has to go . need more pitch
p/m vegas hallett for prop or search spam
Is your boat the older 2 step hull ? did the maximus help with porpoise ?? My 05
270 with Imco extender box porpoises a lot between 70 and 80 ...

scarabrick2
07-19-2007, 07:30 AM
1999 270 step
I believe I was talking to you at the Hallett picnic.. My brother Jeff is the boats owner. Did you post a thread on offshoreonly? Jeff would like to pick your brain for a few minutes if you have time.
The prop helped out all over the mph range. we did side by side testing with two different props.. Jeff has a the info and he could help you out more.
I KNOW WE GAINED around 5 mph cruising and didn't lose really anything on the top end. around 76 gps.
Jeff's contact info is
jlborba@yahoo.com
Or PM vegashallett on here or offshoreonly

HALLETT BOY
07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
1999 270 step
I believe I was talking to you at the Hallett picnic.. My brother Jeff is the boats owner. Did you post a thread on offshoreonly? Jeff would like to pick your brain for a few minutes if you have time.
The prop helped out all over the mph range. we did side by side testing with two different props.. Jeff has a the info and he could help you out more.
I KNOW WE GAINED around 5 mph cruising and didn't lose really anything on the top end. around 76 gps.
Jeff's contact info is
jlborba@yahoo.com
Or PM vegashallett on here or offshoreonly
Thanks Rick, I justed talked to him on the phone...I think my next move will be to aquire a 5 blade....

scarabrick2
07-20-2007, 05:11 AM
Hope we can hook up next time we're out at lake mead. Dropping Jeff's boat off Saturday for the new engine install.
Won't go as fast as you but it will be fun. Those Hallett 270s are sure a great riding boat.
I'm going to ask a guy on the boards if he has a 28" 5 blade we can use. Thats the same as a 30" 4 blade. If he does, I'll let you know so you can try it also.
Have a good one
Rick