PDA

View Full Version : Need Pool Info Quick - Important

HPBoats83
06-09-2007, 06:27 AM
So like 3 years ago we had a pool done and the pool had hairline cracks in the plaster in gunite after 2 months because the ground was disturbed underneath it. Make a long story short, out pool was just finished being filled last night at 10:30 and I woke up and checked it out at 7:00 and it was down 1 inch from last night. I'm not sure if it was because the pebble tek soaked it in or something like that....just doesn't make sense. My big question is my pool guy is comming to do startup this morning and I owe him about half the money still! Do I give it to him or make him wait a couple days to see if the pool water level drops again?

slotracer
06-09-2007, 06:35 AM
have you run the pump at all? was the lines all bled out? talk to the guy and see what he say's. if it makes you feel better keep 25% until the end of the week. our pool will dropped some when we firsted ran it.

mobldj
06-09-2007, 06:37 AM
i got pebble tech in my pool,id wait,dont remember it soaking in,if it did that it would soak in forever.wait till monday,if still going down shiat is leaking somewhere,check your pool equipment to,maybe its leaking there somewhere while runnin,good luck

lewiville
06-09-2007, 06:39 AM
keep you rmoney. dont not give it to him. jump on the california contractors site and gather the nessry info to back up your cliam. but dont give them a nickle.
www.cslb.ca.gov

HPBoats83
06-09-2007, 06:44 AM
The pool (pumps and filters) have NOT been run at all. He is comming over to start it up.

MR FLYIN VEE
06-09-2007, 07:04 AM
So like 3 years ago we had a pool done and the pool had hairline cracks in the plaster in gunite after 2 months because the ground was disturbed underneath it. Make a long story short, out pool was just finished being filled last night at 10:30 and I woke up and checked it out at 7:00 and it was down 1 inch from last night. I'm not sure if it was because the pebble tek soaked it in or something like that....just doesn't make sense. My big question is my pool guy is comming to do startup this morning and I owe him about half the money still! Do I give it to him or make him wait a couple days to see if the pool water level drops again?
Don't go to gun's right away with the pool contractor,you filled a dry system, chances are over night the water went into the piping for the filter system pushing some of the air out of the return line It's gonna drop more when he start's that system up.I'f you are still unsure it is not a leak pay him half of what you owe him and simply explain what happened in the past and you would feel more comfortable waiting till mon. to pay the the balance.I'f he is confident with his job he should have no problem with that. :D

HPBoats83
06-09-2007, 07:39 AM
I am sceptical because like I mentioned in the original post we have had our pool empty for two years because this already happend to us before but it turned out to be a huge problem. I just hope this is a simple problem if it's a problem at all. Thanks for the input.
James

bigq
06-09-2007, 07:52 AM
two years! I would just put the dirt back and head to the river.:D
Hope it works out and yes I would wait to pay....

Magic34
06-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Postpone your appointment until this afternoon. Fill it back up and see what it does over the next 6-8 hours.

slotracer
06-09-2007, 08:08 AM
why would the pool be empty for 2 years. when i had mine done we started filling it almost right away so not to crack the plaster. plaster will dry out and crack if not kept wet. even when i drain my pool i wet the plaster down to avoid cracks.

76ANTHONY
06-09-2007, 08:21 AM
is it a pool or a pool and spa? did you fill all of it at once? dont forget when you fill the pool you also fill the skimmer and thats alot of water, how many gallons id the pool? and when you say and inch is that below the tile line? need more info to give you and accurate answer

laveycrafter
06-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I built my own pool (subbed it out, to myself!) and I had the same situation. First do the bucket test, fill a bucket almost to the top, and mark it, and place it in your pool the equalize the tempature, turn off your auto fill if you have one, do not run the pumps for 24 hours (kind of hard during start up, I know) mark the level of your pool, and check back the next day to compare the changes in the water levels. In the summer my pool will lose 1-2 inches a day just in evaporation!
I am sure your plumbing is fine. Check your lights, and the rings around them, check all jets, and drains, pretty much any plastic that comes into contact with pebble is at risk. Get some food grade dye (red food coloring), and a syringe with a long needle, then slowly inject the dye around the plastic fixtures, you will see the dye suck right into the leak if there is one, it will go in fast. Check the lights first, then jets, and then drains, and skimmer box.
It's a start, lemme know if you need more help.
Jack

76ANTHONY
06-09-2007, 08:25 AM
I built my own pool (subbed it out, to myself!) and I had the same situation. First do the bucket test, fill a bucket almost to the top, and mark it, and place it in your pool the equalize the tempature, turn off your auto fill if you have one, do not run the pumps for 24 hours (kind of hard during start up, I know) mark the level of your pool, and check back the next day to compare the changes in the water levels. In the summer my pool will lose 1-2 inches a day just in evaporation!
I am sure your plumbing is fine. Check your lights, and the rings around them, check all jets, and drains, pretty much any plastic that comes into contact with pebble is at risk. Get some food grade dye (red food coloring), and a syringe with a long needle, then slowly inject the dye around the plastic fixtures, you will see the dye suck right into the leak if there is one, it will go in fast. Check the lights first, then jets, and then drains, and skimmer box.
It's a start, lemme know if you need more help.
Jack
thats the easiest way to check for leaks, you sound like a dang pro, very very good advice....

HPBoats83
06-09-2007, 08:27 AM
why would the pool be empty for 2 years. when i had mine done we started filling it almost right away so not to crack the plaster. plaster will dry out and crack if not kept wet. even when i drain my pool i wet the plaster down to avoid cracks.
the first time we had the pool (2 years ago) we had water in the pool for two months and then the pool started losing water very fast (1-2 feet over night). Then we drained the pool and found that the ground beneath the pool was f+cked so we were in lawsuits for a year and just filled the pool with water last night and finished about 11. Woke up at 7 and its down a inch.

Insurance God
06-09-2007, 08:35 AM
I would send a PM to Bling Bling. He is the pool king. The name of his company is Perfect Pools located in Santa Barbara.

Ion
06-09-2007, 09:21 AM
Duing this time of year when temps are in the 100's, losing one inch per day to evaporation isn't uncommon. My pool drops about 5-6 inches per week because of evaporation (more if I run the waterfall), but I AM running the filtration 6+ hours per day too.

HPBoats83
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I understand that; however, I stopped filling my pool at 11:00 PM and checked it at 7 this morning.

Throttle
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Call Ray on his cell NOW! he is a friend of mine and is waiting for your call... He can help you with your problem... He is in Corona too!
Ray's cell is 714-469-9835, the name of his company is Aquaholic's
good luck...

Throttle
06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
ray, call me later, so we can talk about fun week... r u and bubba gonna be there?

HPBoats83
06-09-2007, 09:39 AM
I just tried to call and got the voice mail of aquaholics. Will try again soon but my pool guy is going to be here with in the next 30 minutes or so to do start up if I let him.

scooooter7
06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Just voice your concern then show him this thread. :)

Bling Bling
06-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Ok first is there cracks in the Gunite or the Plaster-Pebble Tec? If your guinte is cracked and nothing was done your focked. Pebble Tec doesn't soak up water. If your pool equipment is below pool water level make sure all valves are in there proper position and check to see if your filter is not in backwash. It could be draining to waste from gravity. If your ground is disturbed like you say and nothing has been done to corect this problem there's your problem. Your descreption is a bit vague, if you would like you can call me. I don't do work outside my county, but maybe I can help over the phone. Greg
805-896-6886

riverroyal
06-09-2007, 10:29 AM
has the correct answer.That suck,is it paid in full yet?can you hold some money?

Throttle
06-09-2007, 03:14 PM
has the correct answer.That suck,is it paid in full yet?can you hold some money?
i cant hold money any better than my bladder...

OC28HEAT
06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
if the pool was empty for that long the pebble can delaminate cracked Gunite is no big deal because it has nothing to do with the waterproofing. q inch could be just normal evaporation. I lose four to five inches a week and I am in RSM. I have been leak checked and have no problems

bead
06-09-2007, 04:45 PM
fill pool, check 4 leaks at equip. if none ,start system. check equip. again for at least 10 min..if know leaks and still loosing h20 , do bucket test. if it is still happening , call a leak detection company . try Calif. Leak Detection in So Cal. or Leak Finders . the contracter should have had that done befor you started any remodeling . i recommend it to all of my customers befor they start, jus good piece of mind for home owner and contracter.

HPBoats83
06-09-2007, 10:25 PM
I found the problem. The problem was one of the pool contractors guys plummed in an overflow line in the skimmer that I didn't know about in addition to the primary overflow line so that acounts for the 1" of water loss overnight. I hope we are good from here on out. Thanks to everybody who posted in here with ideas of things to check.
James