PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat Q...

YeLLowBoaT
06-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Who makes the best gel coat and where do you get it? A friend of mine is doing some repair work and wants me to respray his deck.( he gets to sand and rub :D )

76ANTHONY
06-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Who makes the best gel coat and where do you get it? A friend of mine is doing some repair work and wants me to respray his deck.( he gets to sand and rub :D )
i have a q also. how hard is it to spray gel as opposed to paint? is it just a different gun or sumthin else also?

YeLLowBoaT
06-09-2007, 10:08 AM
You have 2 choice, ether buy a gel gun( which take lots and lots of air, even a large 60-80 would not be enough) or thin the gel down to shoot it thru a normal gun( IE el cheapo from harbor frieght, so you don't care if it drys in the gun)

Xlration Marine
06-09-2007, 03:12 PM
You have 2 choice, ether buy a gel gun( which take lots and lots of air, even a large 60-80 would not be enough) or thin the gel down to shoot it thru a normal gun( IE el cheapo from harbor frieght, so you don't care if it drys in the gun)
Now your talking, you can get preasure pots from the freight as well. Get a big tip, 2.0 or bigger. Thin it out a little and squirt it. Then sand,squirt,sand ,squirt,sand,squirt,sand. Then your ready for buffing. Well maybe, if you did it right.

76ANTHONY
06-09-2007, 03:21 PM
i think i'll try thinning it and shooting it, sounds like i may be able ta do this, got a beef up my sanding arms:D :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
06-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I've used a foam roller and brushs for small repair areas in the past... just takes more sanding.

OverKill
06-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Go to Sticky Stuff Sales .com here in Glendale Arizona. They will have the mixing chart there on line. They IMO also have the best Gel Coat that you were asking about.
When Squirtcha? and I gel coated my bildge. We in fact did use a Harbor Freight cheapo then just threw it away. Reason being as your shooting the hardener will start to kick and harden in the gun. Remember after mixing the hardener and the wax. You have about 30 minutes to start shooting and be finished. We did run into a little problem. In the start of spraying we had two much air and not enough gel. So some pealed and had to be resprayed.
I can't stress it enough, You have to prep and prep and prep and prep before you shoot. If not preped/cleaned properly it will peal. Good luck and get ready to work your ass off.

76ANTHONY
06-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Go to Sticky Stuff Sales .com here in Glendale Arizona. They will have the mixing chart there on line. They IMO also have the best Gel Coat that you were asking about.
When Squirtcha? and I gel coated my bildge. We in fact did use a Harbor Freight cheapo then just threw it away. Reason being as your shooting the hardener will start to kick and harden in the gun. Remember after mixing the hardener and the wax. You have about 30 minutes to start shooting and be finished. We did run into a little problem. In the start of spraying we had two much air and not enough gel. So some pealed and had to be resprayed.
I can't stress it enough, You have to prep and prep and prep and prep before you shoot. If not preped/cleaned properly it will peal. Good luck and get ready to work your ass off.
ok you dont make it sound fun anymore:jawdrop: :D :D

Xlration Marine
06-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I have a Skeeter here that I am doing a repair on. When I pull it out back your's in.

Havasu1986
06-09-2007, 07:40 PM
I have know idea what the hell you guys are talking about. :confused: I'm just a stupid fire sprinkler installer. :) But I have a great retirement to figure it out in 8 years. :D