PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes Locking Up When In Reverse

meaniam
06-11-2007, 10:17 AM
HAVE A ZIEMAN TANDAM TRAILER WITH SURGE BRAKES. WHEN BACKING UP BRAKES ARE LOCKING ON TRAILER. WHAT DO I DO? sorry about caps

Brewzed
06-11-2007, 10:25 AM
is it when your backing uphill, level ground or down the ramp?

502 JET
06-11-2007, 10:34 AM
You can use a manual lock pin to stop the hitch/master cylinder from compressing, cheap fix but a P.I.A.. or install an electric lockout valve that wires into your reverse lights that blocks the fluid from applying the brakes.

purrfecttremor
06-11-2007, 10:39 AM
My extrem will do the same thing if the plug [electrical] isnt getting a good conection.If it is the manual pin as stated above is a easy fix.

meaniam
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
it can be a mild uphill or on flat ground. i wasnt there when it happened. my buddy was moving my boat around in his yard. and his driveway is flat and so is his rv parking. im gonna go up andcheck it out right now. i guess it could be as simple as lights werent plugged in. but didnt relize they had anything to do with it. i figured the surge tounge is bound. but who knows. i have had it for 4 weeks and have driven alot with already and never had any problems. i guess i was wondering if the tounge has any maintance or greaseing needing to be done.

ULTRA26 # 1
06-11-2007, 01:48 PM
With disc brakes the you have to a 5 pin trailer plug connected in order to back up. Your friend probabally wasn't aware of this.
This is not the case with drum brakes
jm

Not So Fast
06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
If my lights arent plugged in (5 way for disc brakes with release in back up lights) you AINT GONNA MOVE IT unless you got one monster puller;) NSF

Kachina26
06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Blown reverse light fuse can do it too if all connections are the way they're supposed to be and it does it. Make sure the reverse lights are working on the tow vehicle.

Kachina26
06-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Blown reverse light fuse can do it too if all connections are the way they're supposed to be and it does it. Make sure the reverse lights are working on the tow vehicle.

Beer-30
06-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I think he said they didn't have the lights plugged in - which means you wouldn't be able to move it in reverse. The back-up lights trigger a lockout solenoid to allow backing.

meaniam
06-11-2007, 09:02 PM
yeap went up to hesperia. plugged the lights in it moved better then a hot knife threw butter. unplugged it. the brakes locked:eek: had to be the best burn out that f150 done in all its life when he was backing it up. he knew i didnt want it left out yesterday so as long as he didnt mind wasting the rubber . it bothered me none:D

Beer-30
06-11-2007, 09:05 PM
yeap went up to hesperia. plugged the lights in it moved better then a hot knife threw butter. unplugged it. the brakes locked:eek: had to be the best burn out that f150 done in all its life when he was backing it up. he knew i didnt want it left out yesterday so as long as he didnt mind wasting the rubber . it bothered me none:D
Uh, that does tend to try and break the brake calipers right off of the mounts.

purrfecttremor
06-13-2007, 10:35 AM
:eek:

epeagle
06-15-2007, 04:10 PM
i had trouble reversing until i got my trailer nice and level.