PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead Treasure Hunt

desertbird
06-13-2007, 08:01 AM
With the receding waters, all sorts of things are being resurfaced. The thread about the sunk boat in the narrows got me thinking about the subject.
This all started a few years back with the old gravel pits and quarry becoming exposed (areas that hadn't seen the light of day since Hoover Dam was built). Most recently, Overton Arm, losing the marina, and exposing the old town etc. I even read somewhere that Park officials were doing inspections by plane to map out new emerging hazards.
Now we have people finding all sorts of "sunken treasure" along the shoreline of what would have been deep water 25 years ago.
So, post the pics? What have we all found? This goes for Powell too......:D
The receding water sucks, but we might as well have some fun with it, as well as bring pictures to light that the water really is going down, so conserve water, for crying out loud! :mad:

FreshTracks
06-13-2007, 09:05 AM
When we were there last year we found really old soda cans on the beach, the kind with the metal strip you peeled off to open. They had old school graphics and were in pretty damn good shape for being under water longer than I've been alive.

burtandnancy2
06-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Won't be long and you'll be able to dive (with permit) to the B-29 near Midpoint or the seaplane off Boulder Beach. There are some really nice race boats that should be showing up as well, Ron Spindlers Schiada off Battleship Rock (funny story how that happened) and one of Jerry Herbst's Spectra's. Some interesting things will be showing in the next few years...

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Won't be long and you'll be able to dive (with permit) to the B-29 near Midpoint or the seaplane off Boulder Beach. There are some really nice race boats that should be showing up as well, Ron Spindlers Schiada off Battleship Rock (funny story how that happened) and one of Jerry Herbst's Spectra's. Some interesting things will be showing in the next few years...
Why weren't they recovered?
Brian

burtandnancy2
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Even tho Spindler rented a special submarine to go down over 400 feet, they couldn't see anything when they got there, silt, or algae clouded the visability. There is one fine, turboed 21 Schiada waiting there...

jdogginla
06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Even tho Spindler rented a special submarine to go down over 400 feet, they couldn't see anything when they got there, silt, or algae clouded the visability. There is one fine, turboed 21 Schiada waiting there...
Laters boat was a 19 not a 21.......
oh wait, wrong lake. Sorry, carry on

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Bummer
Too bad it won't be worth a shit.

desertbird
06-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Hallet19 beat me to the concept in his "Sunk Boat Photos" thread......lotta good stuff in there!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153792