PDA

View Full Version : Just had my first flight lesson...

KingCole
06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
All I can say is, WOW, what a rush! So much to learn but pretty damn cool. There is almost nothing you know about driving that relates to flying. Unless you steer your car with your feet. This is going to be fun. :D

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Congrats... work hard, and remember it's supposed to be fun... :D

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a buddy who is close to getting his license.
He keeps trying to get me to get a license. I told him "I can't afford that hobby."
"It's no big deal Brian, you can fly my plane"
Yea..um no thanks bud.
Brian

KingCole
06-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Congrats... work hard, and remember it's supposed to be fun... :D
Thanks! I can tell it's going to be some hard work, and a lot of fun.

RitcheyRch
06-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Very cool. Love flying and have always wanted to learn.

HalletDave
06-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks! I can tell it's going to be some hard work, and a lot of fun.
Wait until your first solo cross country.;)
I got my private back in Illinois when I was stationed at Scott AFB.
I have not been current since 1981. Don't really miss it.
Flight training in SoCal,:eek: scarry.
:idea: Always follow your checklist and be aware of somewhere to put the aircraft down safely in case of an emergency.
Good luck:D

hottrodder
06-13-2007, 10:59 AM
All I remember is 'step on the ball'.

andy01
06-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Congrats, you will love it. What plane are you flying? It will be a lot of fun all the way to the end, then it will be crunch time for the test. But after that it is a lot of fun to fly places for dinner, lunch, a round of golf. It will be a blast. There are a few pilots on the boards here. I just did mine last year, did my check ride in Dec. 2006.
Where do you guys do your training? Over the Long Beach practice area?
Things that will leave a lasting impression, your first solo, your cross country solo and your stal training..:D
Andy

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh yeah... don't forget to keep the shiney side up... :D
Pilot of America has a good web forum, as does AOPA... but you have to join AOPA to get access to it, which isn't a bad thing considering what we're up against right now.

Big Warlock
06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Get your first crash over with! After mine, things went easier for me!! lol :D

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Just remember when you get to the point that you want to quit, don't quit!! I got my license about 13 years ago and everybody I have talked to (including myself) comes to a point where they just get tired of the training and want to quit. I am glad I didn't quit, because I would never do it now a days, it is funny how filled your life gets with other crap these days. I am glad I stuck with it at the time. You are never going to forgt the day you solo, it is a life changing experience.

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey Dune... is that your Cherokee??

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Nice

wsuwrhr
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Good landing---any landing you can walk away from.
Perfect landing---any landing you can still use the aircraft.

KingCole
06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Congrats, you will love it. What plane are you flying? It will be a lot of fun all the way to the end, then it will be crunch time for the test. But after that it is a lot of fun to fly places for dinner, lunch, a round of golf. It will be a blast. There are a few pilots on the boards here. I just did mine last year, did my check ride in Dec. 2006.
Where do you guys do your training? Over the Long Beach practice area?
Things that will leave a lasting impression, your first solo, your cross country solo and your stal training..:D
Andy
The plane I flew in is a Cessna 172? I belive. I'm flying out of Fullerton Airport. I can't wait to be able to solo, or take the wife for a flight. But there's a lot to learn befor that.

andy01
06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
The plane I flew in is a Cessna 172? I belive. I'm flying out of Fullerton Airport. I can't wait to be able to solo, or take the wife for a flight. But there's a lot to learn befor that.
Newer 172? G1000? Just curious
Fullerton is a nice airport and easy to use. Solo will be fun, just remember once you solo you will have meet one of the biggest goals in getting your license. Solo and license. A lot and I mean a lot of people stop after they solo. Life gets busy, you hit the goal, flying by yourself can get boring. Just stick with it and you'll be flying to SMO for dinner in no time. Join AOPA, it is worth it. Compton is a lot of fun to fly into as well, I love that airport at night.
Andy

Desert Rat
06-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Compton is a lot of fun to fly into as well, I love that airport at night.
Andy
Doesn't have anything to do with ever forth bullet fired under you being a tracer does it?;) :D Keep with it. It can be additing I hear. I work with quite a few that live at a sky park near work so the can have their plane in the "garage"

KingCole
06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Fullerton is a nice airport and easy to use. Solo will be fun, just remember once you solo you will have meet one of the biggest goals in getting your license. Solo and license. A lot and I mean a lot of people stop after they solo. Life gets busy, you hit the goal, flying by yourself can get boring. Just stick with it and you'll be flying to SMO for dinner in no time. Join AOPA, it is worth it. Compton is a lot of fun to fly into as well, I love that airport at night.
Andy
I think the 172 is a '78 model, could be wrong. It didn't look great but at this point I could care less. As long as it doesn't fall out of the sky.:D
Thanks for the encouragement!

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey Dune... is that your Cherokee??
It was, I just sold it two weeks ago. I was in a partnership with a couple of buddies that wasn't working out for me so I sold my share to one of the partners. I am looking to purchase a cherokee 6 within the next twelve months.

Cheap Thrills
06-13-2007, 12:33 PM
Just a few things to remember......
1~ Always fly at least 3 mistakes high.
2~The chances of survival are in direct relation to the angle of arrival.
3~ No Barrel Rolls or Cuban 8s while flying the outer markers in the hold pattern.
Good Winds To Ya.
C.T. :wink:

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 12:40 PM
It was, I just sold it two weeks ago. I was in a partnership with a couple of buddies that wasn't working out for me so I sold my share to one of the partners. I am looking to purchase a cherokee 6 within the next twelve months.
Nice.... Beer-30 keeps talking about moving up, you should try and steal his Turbo Lance away from him... :D

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 12:53 PM
And always remember the three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. Altitude above you
2. Runway behind you
3. Fuel in the fuel truck

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Nice.... Beer-30 keeps talking about moving up, you should try and steal his Turbo Lance away from him... :D
I think that Beer-30 should let me test fly the thing for the rest of the summer. That would give me a very good evaluation on if I like the plane or not.
What do you fly?

Ziggy
06-13-2007, 12:58 PM
All I can say is, WOW, what a rush! So much to learn but pretty damn cool. There is almost nothing you know about driving that relates to flying. Unless you steer your car with your feet. This is going to be fun. :D
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Just out of curiosity, did they have to profile you and/or do background checks to validate your citizenship? I'm sure you can imagine why I ask, I'd like to know they are actually checking who is getting flight lessons these days..........
I started ground school waaaaaaaaaay back, and honestly all I remember is your too low to land if the runway lights aren't both green........or something like that...LOL

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Just out of curiosity, did they have to profile you and/or do background checks to validate your citizenship? I'm sure you can imagine why I ask, I'd like to know they are actually checking who is getting flight lessons these days..........
I started ground school waaaaaaaaaay back, and honestly all I remember is your too low to land if the runway lights aren't both green........or something like that...LOL
White over White= "Out of sight" (above the glideslpoe)
Red over White= "You're alright" (on the glideslope)
Red over Red= "You're dead" (below the glideslope)
I think that is what you are referring to.

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I think that Beer-30 should let me test fly the thing for the rest of the summer. That would give me a very good evaluation on if I like the plane or not.
What do you fly?
I've got a Muskrat... errr... 180 hp B23 Musketeer, the model before Beech made the Sundowner...
It's even on Airliner.net... http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0256522/L/

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 01:43 PM
I've got a Muskrat... errr... 180 hp B23 Musketeer, the model before Beech made the Sundowner...
So is that picture of the twin commander cockpit yours too? That is my dream plane. Turboprop 600 shrike would do me nice.

zudnic
06-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm not 100% sure, my neighbor has a 6 forsale. He bought a Piper Meridian so he's motivated to get rid of the cherokee....
Flying is fun.... My parents forced me to take lesson's, my Brothers and myself had private licenses before our driver's. Dad decided if he became unable to fly, heart attack, etc, we could at least have the basics to land.
Hence why these pics are on my office wall.

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 01:48 PM
So is that picture of the twin commander cockpit yours too? That is my dream plane. Turboprop 600 shrike would do me nice.
Yeah... I wish... I can barely afford my little bug smasher... :D

zudnic
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
My Dad had a Sundowner.... In fact I learned to Fly in it.

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm not 100% sure, my neighbor has a 6 forsale. He bought a Piper Meridian so he's motivated to get rid of the cherokee....
Flying is fun.... My parents forced me to take lesson's, my Brothers and myself had private licenses before our driver's. Dad decided if he became unable to fly, heart attack, etc, we could at least have the basics to land.
Hence why these pics are on my office wall.
So tell him I will need to borrower it for the summer for testing purposes.

zudnic
06-13-2007, 02:20 PM
So tell him I will need to borrower it for the summer for testing purposes.
I'm trying to get him to go with to Oshkosh so we can take the Merid... :idea:

dunaholic
06-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm trying to get him to go with to Oshkosh so we can take the Merid... :idea:
Well, since you are going to be in the Meridian, you won't need the "6" for the rest of the summer.

franky
06-13-2007, 02:26 PM
As soon as I get the when to flair thing down then its solo time. That's what I am looking forward too, figuring things out on my own over the desert without someone yaking at me.
Have said "do I really want to go through with this" 50 times but I want to do it. There is sooooo much to remember. Yeah the steering with the feet thing is too weird. Problem is I go boating in the evening and then fly early in the AM, steering wheel thing. Sit on your hands (unless its windy) when taxiing. Read training books and think about procedures all the time (like right rudder when applying power on take off and why). Things just start happening naturally.
No problem taking off, flying the plane, flying the pattern, putting it on the deck......its just the flair thing. Freaks me out. But I heard once you do it right once, its all good.
Problem is, its "shake and bake" time here in Havasu, don't like the roller coaster thing. BTW, I have a nice 182N, looking for partner(s) in Havasu.

Jordy
06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
What about the 2nd crash??? :idea:
Yeah... I wish... I can barely afford my little bug smasher... :D
Whatever. Baller. :D

cjordan
06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Congrats, you'll never regret doing it...:) Got my license at college in 1993...grew up around my dad's Grumman Tiger (the sliding canopy was just too cool...did my training in a "Tramahawk" :D Great little plane and probably why I still prefer to fly T-Tail aircraft...rent a T-tail Arrow 4 when when going long distances and fly this the rest of the time for "fun"...:2purples: My dad and I did a ground up resto on in 97...has almost 1000 hrs since...just got a ferry permit for Stearman #2 for tomorrow night...another ground up resto...but Army insignia instead of navy...;)
Oh yeah...you'll stop sweating so much and start enjoying it a lot more after about the 5th or 6th flight...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/9941Stearman.jpg

zudnic
06-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, since you are going to be in the Meridian, you won't need the "6" for the rest of the summer.
Would if it was mine and not my neighbors....He's selling the Meridian soon as well, moving way up in baller gear. ;)

andy01
06-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Congrats, you'll never regret doing it...:) Got my license at college in 1993...grew up around my dad's Grumman Tiger (the sliding canopy was just too cool...did my training in a "Tramahawk" :D Great little plane and probably why I still prefer to fly T-Tail aircraft...rent a T-tail Arrow 4 when when going long distances and fly this the rest of the time for "fun"...:2purples: My dad and I did a ground up resto on in 97...has almost 1000 hrs since...just got a ferry permit for Stearman #2 for tomorrow night...another ground up resto...but Army insignia instead of navy...;)
Oh yeah...you'll stop sweating so much and start enjoying it a lot more after about the 5th or 6th flight...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/9941Stearman.jpg
I have wanted to fly/ride in a open cockpit plane since I started flying. Seems like it would be a blast.
Andy

AirtimeLavey
06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
I have wanted to fly/ride in a open cockpit plane since I started flying. Seems like it would be a blast.
Andy
I took a flight in a Stearman out of Santa Barbara. Flew along the coast, then turned inland and flew through a valley. Some low level stuff, with cows off the right wing! Very, very cool. It was like going for a Sunday drive in a drop top Cad. Would love to have one. :D :D
I want Tom Cruise's collection. He's got a Pitts, and a P-51, among others.

cjordan
06-14-2007, 05:17 AM
Andy
It is an absolute hoot to fly...we've literally given hundreds of rides, ages 6 to 90...;) We run the 450hp Pratt's vs the original 220hp Continentals...makes them Hot rods...;) especially fun for Aerobatics...can climb 2200+ ft/min at Vy ....just depends on how much fuel you like to burn....
Only problem is....if you ride in one, you'll want one...:)

Kachina26
06-14-2007, 05:29 AM
Good landing---any landing you can walk away from.
Perfect landing---any landing you can still use the aircraft.
Don't forget, the only time you can have too much fuel is if you are on fire :eek:
Good times, first solo is a real trip. Nobody there to hold your hand, the fear went away at about 200' AGL though :D

dunaholic
06-14-2007, 05:35 AM
It is an absolute hoot to fly...we've literally given hundreds of rides, ages 6 to 90...;) We run the 450hp Pratt's vs the original 220hp Continentals...makes them Hot rods...;) especially fun for Aerobatics...can climb 2200+ ft/min at Vy ....just depends on how much fuel you like to burn....
Only problem is....if you ride in one, you'll want one...:)
I took a long hiatus from flying (4 years or so) and met a Northwest pilot that owned a Stearman that he kept at John Wayne airport. he asked me I wanted to go for a ride and of course I took him up on it. That flight got my juices for flying again and I have been cosistetly flying since.

mondorally
06-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for schools/instructors in the Orange County Area?
-Justin

dunaholic
06-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for schools/instructors in the Orange County Area?
-Justin
California Flight Center at Long beach would be my choice. They have good equipment. 562-490-2662 Tell her that the almighty sent you.