PDA

View Full Version : This story pisses me off

essexjet
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
As a paramedic I wouldn't take her either. My job is to take a patient to the closest, higher medical personel/facility. I think the 911 operators did what they should have.
Updated: 7:43 a.m. PT June 13, 2007
Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help
Tapes show operators ignored pleas to send ambulance to L.A. hospital
LOS ANGELES - A woman who lay bleeding on the emergency room floor of a troubled inner-city hospital died after 911 dispatchers refused to contact paramedics or an ambulance to take her to another facility, newly released tapes of the emergency calls reveal.
Edith Isabel Rodriguez, 43, died of a perforated bowel on May 9 at Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital. Her death was ruled accidental by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office.
Relatives said Rodriguez was bleeding from the mouth and writhing in pain for 45 minutes while she was at a hospital waiting area. Experts have said she could have survived had she been treated early enough.
Story continues below ↓advertisement
County and state authorities are now investigating Rodriguez’s death. Relatives reported she died as police were wheeling her out of the hospital after the officers they had asked to help Rodriguez arrested her instead on a parole violation. Sheriff’s Department spokesman Duane Allen said Wednesday that the investigation is ongoing.
In the recordings of two 911 calls that day, first obtained by the Los Angeles Times under a California Public Records Act request, callers pleaded for help for Rodriguez but were referred to hospital staff instead.
“I’m in the emergency room. My wife is dying and the nurses don’t want to help her out,” Rodriguez’s boyfriend, Jose Prado, is heard saying in Spanish through an interpreter on the tapes.
“What’s wrong with her?” a female dispatcher asked.
“She’s vomiting blood,” Prado said.
“OK, and why aren’t they helping her?” the dispatcher asked.
‘They’re just watching her’
“They’re watching her there and they’re not doing anything. They’re just watching her,” Prado said.
The dispatcher told Prado to contact a doctor and then said paramedics wouldn’t pick her up because she was already in a hospital. She later told him to contact county police officers at a security desk.
A second 911 call was placed eight minutes later by a bystander who requested that an ambulance be sent to take Rodriguez to another hospital for care.
“She’s definitely sick and there’s a guy that’s ignoring her,” the woman told a male dispatcher.
During the call, the dispatcher argued with the woman over whether there really was an emergency.
“I cannot do anything for you for the quality of the hospital. ... It is not an emergency. It is not an emergency ma’am,” he said.
“You’re not here to see how they’re treating her,” the woman replied.
The dispatcher refused to call paramedics and told the woman that she should contact hospital supervisors “and let them know” if she is unhappy.

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 11:05 AM
As a paramedic I wouldn't take her either. My job is to take a patient to the closest, higher medical personel/facility. I think the 911 operators did what they should have.
Pretty much... sounds like malpractice against the hospital if any thing... don't know what the 911 operator was supposed to do...

Mrs. Bordsmnj
06-13-2007, 11:10 AM
i saw this on the news this morning. How is it the 911 dispatcher's fault and not the hospitals?? Am I misunderstanding the story? She was already in an emergency room, right??
:confused:

IMPATIENT 1
06-13-2007, 11:14 AM
i saw this on the news this morning. How is it the 911 dispatcher's fault and not the hospitals?? Am I misunderstanding the story? She was already in an emergency room, right??
i agree, its the hospital's fault and they're gonna pay out the nose for it now!!medical health service has dropped to shit levels across the country i think.

essexjet
06-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Yes she was already in the waiting room of king drew ER. If a medic was to take her out of the waiting and transport her to another and she dies enroute...you would have your license take and a lawsuit wouldnt be far behind.

KLEPTOW
06-13-2007, 11:15 AM
I'll bet a paycheck, you would feel different if that was your wife...................

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I'll bet a paycheck, you would feel different if that was your wife...................
Probably... but it still isn't the 911 operator's fault the lady died...

blacksheepvictor
06-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Hmm… That’s peculiar. Sounds like there’s more to it than what is in the article.:idea: At least I hope there is. Just to be on the safe side no trips to Martin Luther King Jr’s emergency room for me.

essexjet
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
If that happened where my wife works, everybody would be looking for another job today. Of course, if that happened where my wife works, the woman would still be alive.
That's a damn shame. How could you stand by and let somebody die?
A patient vomiting blood in low in the triage list at King-Drew I guess:confused:

Biglue
06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
MLK Hospital has been facing serious scrutiny over the past few years. It got to the point where they wanted to shut down Trauma and or the emergency center if I recall correctly. The city it's located in would also affect on how the staff treated the lady who died. Not making any excuses for the hospital failing to aid her, but the staff puts up with serious attitude in that area.

CARLSON-JET
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
My local hospital is a piece of crap... I wouldn't go there to get a bandaid. I drive 1 1/2 hours downtown to get good service. I feel it is the responsibility of the end user to know their surroundings and what quality of service any given institution offers.
My bro-inlaw had a collapsed lung a few weeks ago. He went to previous said emergency room and was diagnosed. They wanted to start working on him immediatly. We checked him out and took him down town where they deal with stuff alot better. The staff at the local E.R. were furious about our actions but I laughed at them and read down a list of screwups they had recently. It shut them up and I hope they took it to heart that they have a reputation like that.
I'm sorry for the family involved. It is a sad deal but E.R.'s cannot save everybody who comes through the door.. It is a fact of life. Take care of your health, or your bad health will take care of you.

roostwear
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I've been going through medical hell at UCI in Orange. If you ever WANT to die, go to UCI. My Dad made the mistake of going there (ER) and was operated on for an aortic anheurism(?). The nurses don't know a damn thing, and since it's a "learning hospital", everyone's a guinea pig. After he was released the treatment got even WORSE. He's had to go back to the ER just to get a cat scan after 6 WEEKS! He had a fluid pocket build up to the point that he couldn't bend at the waist, and the doctor (after seeing him for his "checkup" visit.. a whole 2 minutes) sent him home! He went back to the ER to have the fluid drained. They can't even tell you what appointments are scheduled because each department's appointment software isn't integrated with any others. It must be the King-Drew of OC.....:devil:

KLEPTOW
06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Probably... but it still isn't the 911 operator's fault the lady died...
You mean 911 doesn't dispatch emergency/non emergency transportation anymore?

essexjet
06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
To an emergency room, most likely not.

LAFD
06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
if its an emergency as say she was at her house they call 911 paramedics pick her up probly would have taken her to the same hospital she was at depending on her location and handed her over to the hospital.once she is at the hospital its there responsibilty to treat her. they could have called a private ambulance company such as amr but i bet they would have said no to transporting her to. the hospital focked up plain and simple. but i think there is more to the story than what has been told..

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Not when you're sitting in the emergency room of a hospital...

bigq
06-13-2007, 12:13 PM
good old King jr., the death hospital! That place needs to be shut down, seems noone can manage it correctly:(

eliminatedsprinter
06-13-2007, 12:20 PM
It's MLK Drew.They have been in hot water for this type of thing for many years now. They have been on the brink of being completely shut down for some time. Last year they lost their doctor training program, because they faild their last chance (of many chances) federal inspection. The place is a nightmare....:(

rrrr
06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
I guess no one wants to mention that SoCal hospital ERs are on the verge of collapse because they are forced to treat all of the illegals.....

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Thank you for mentioning that. If the person was talking to the dispatcher in Spanish, I hate to assume, but I have to, that they were not here legally. I know it's against the hippocratic oath, but perhaps they didn't open her up for surgery because they knew they wouldn't get paid for it. Not saying that's right or even correct, but hospitals are businesses.

zudnic
06-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I guess no one wants to mention that SoCal hospital ERs are on the verge of collapse because they are forced to treat all of the illegals.....
The illegals are collapsing healthcare all across the US and they have the nerve to sell them as cheap needed labor!
In fact these types of stories are a daily occurance in Canada. Universal government provided healthcare will make things alot worse. It's not free because you will pay for it with your life. Stories like the above are daily occurance even if you get an ambulance in Canada!
A TV doc on the subject: http://www.onthefencefilms.com/video/deadmeat/
The lady pictured on the site top left corner, Shirley Douglas is Kiefer Sutherlands Mom, her Father is considered the Grand Father of Canada's Universal Healthcare system.