PDA

View Full Version : How is Lake Tahoe for wind/chop?

Captain Dan
06-14-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm going up the week of the 4th of July. Does it get windy/choppy there often? What can I expect?
Is it calm in the morning and windy in the afternoon like Lake Mohave ?
We are staying in a house at the Keys. Looking forward to the trip, just wondering how my 24' boat will fare.

SummerBreeze
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Yes..... maga wind in the afternoon
comes up around 1pm till after 6pm then it gets real nice again
If you are going to be in the Keys it's a good place to be to get in out of the wind.
The west shore is mostly protected from the wind from the mountains. The Keys is more on the west side of Tahoe.
Hit Sunnyside early in the morning durning that weekend. Garwoods is a long hall if the wind comes up and you want to get back to the Keys.
I hear the dock gas prices are around 6 bucks a gal. Bring gas cans and fill up at the dock.
I am headed to Tahoe around noon today with no boat.
Enjoy
Tahoe is like no lake you have ever been to.

Baja Big Dog
06-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Yea and the water temps hangs around a mild 72-78 degrees!!:eek:

Daytona100
06-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Great place to boat. Went boating there for a week in my 21 ft and had a great time. Only got rough once made for a wild ride bact to the ramp. They say watch out for the blue line rough waters a coming. Have a blast and check out all the bitchen homes that surround the lake. Also you can river raft on the truckee river great fun with the kids.

BajaMike
06-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Be aware that because of the altitude (6200 feet above sea level) you may need to prop down.......:idea:

justfloatn
06-14-2007, 09:07 AM
The wind gets wicked on that lake. The rescue barges stay prety busy after a good windy day pulling boats off the bottom, still tied to the ball. Unless you have a dock inland in the keys I would pull the boat at night. I would never leave a boat out on the ball on that lake. Unless it was a 30' or larger.
I saw three boats get swamped about six years ago on the north-west side.
My friends dad even lost his boat while eating dinner one time right there on south shore.
And the other guy is correct about the prop and/or jetting changes, if your carburated.

bonecrusher36
06-14-2007, 09:22 AM
I own a home in the Keys and use my 22 foot Mastercraft X-star on the lake as well as a 36 foot cat. It can get rough but staying close to west side I never have had a problem from Chambers on south. Dont be afraid in a 24 foot boat. Hang out at Camp richardsons for live bands during the summer weeks great beach and drinks, also sunnyside for brunch, Zeypher Cove for eye candy.
Have fun!!! Great lake and lots to do on and off the lake.

Captain Dan
06-14-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks for the responses - good advise.
I have a dock inside the Keys so no worries on sinking at a mooring and I'm fuel injected so no worries there. My biggest worry was hauling that boat all the way up there from socal and not being able to handle the lake.
Thanks for the advice - look for rough water line for wind, stay to the west side if it kicks up.... Zephyr Cove for eye candy..... all good stuff - thanks.
My family and I are looking forward to the trip!

highvoltagehands
06-14-2007, 11:50 AM
thanks for the responses - good advise.
I have a dock inside the Keys so no worries on sinking at a mooring and I'm fuel injected so no worries there. My biggest worry was hauling that boat all the way up there from socal and not being able to handle the lake.
Thanks for the advice - look for rough water line for wind, stay to the west side if it kicks up.... Zephyr Cove for eye candy..... all good stuff - thanks.
My family and I are looking forward to the trip!
Hey Dan, We have a house up at the Keys for that week also, and Sun July 1st, We are doing a heli photo shoot with Poker Runs West if anyones interested. See ya around.
Hud.
ps Zephyr means "Howling Wind" so run early or late if your over there.

BajaMike
06-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm fuel injected so no worries there.
Even with fuel injection you will have a significant loss of power.....many people with fuel injection have to prop down at Lake Powell, and it's only 3700 feet.
:idea:

Captain Dan
06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Dan, We have a house up at the Keys for that week also, and Sun July 1st, We are doing a heli photo shoot with Poker Runs West if anyones interested. See ya around.
Hud.
ps Zephyr means "Howling Wind" so run early or late if your over there.
I'll look for your boat in your avatar.

Captain Dan
06-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Even with fuel injection you will have a significant loss of power.....many people with fuel injection have to prop down at Lake Powell, and it's only 3700 feet.
:idea:
Thanks - our boating week will be just cruising around, not too worried about performance - I'm going with a friend who has a roll bar boat that can't keep up with me anyhow - maybe it'll even the playing field a little for him, :) (unless he's being sneaky and repropping his boat without telling me).

BajaMike
06-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Have fun, it's a beautiful lake....I love it up there in the summer....(and the winter!).