PDA

View Full Version : Overheated my Escalade - HELP

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Dealer just serviced my ESV yesterday for a coolant leak. Leave the place at 6:00. on the freeway and at 7:30 the temp gauge goes to red. Get over as fast as i can, but still running for a few minutes, was not in a area to pull over yet.
What damage did it do?
What should I expect from Cadillac?
It is still under warranty. (FYI - car has been in for service 7 times over the past 9 months)
Do I have a gripe?
My wife drives this thing from PHX to LA all the time. She is freaking out.
Any suggestions or help would be great.
Thanks All!!!

Shreve "T"
06-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Dealer just serviced my ESV yesterday for a coolant leak. Leave the place at 6:00. on the freeway and at 7:30 the temp gauge goes to red. Get over as fast as i can, but still running for a few minutes, was not in a area to pull over yet.
What damage did it do?
It is still under warranty. (FYI - car has been in for service 7 times over the past 9 months)
Do I have a gripe?
Thanks All!!!
Buy a Dodge !!!!!!

UltraStealth
06-15-2007, 06:50 AM
What damage did it do?
Do I have a gripe?
Thanks All!!!
I not sure about the damage but if the truck has been in 3 or more times for the same thing, you could have a case on your hands for Lemon Law. If it is a safety issue and has been in 3 or more times you have a very strong case. I had a lemon but it was due to a safety issue. You would be driving 50-70 and the transmission would freak out and just go into nuetral even though it was in drive. When you pressed on the gas it would just rev.
I would think the dealership would be responsible for the damage if it was due to something they did or didn't do while it was being serviced.
Good Luck! :D

riverbound
06-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Buy a Dodge !!!!!!
LOL:D

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Dealer never put the hose clamps on. the service guy showed me the cause.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 06:54 AM
lol...I wanted to better my situation.
Buy a Dodge !!!!!!

mbrown2
06-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Buy a Dodge !!!!!!
Didn't UJ Lemon Law his.....all of them make a couple that sux.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 07:06 AM
was in twice for the coolant leak...4 times for AC work. Been through two compressors.
Had problems with Legends Cadillac in North Scottsdale and now with Coliter Cadillac downtown PHX.
I not sure about the damage but if the truck has been in 3 or more times for the same thing, you could have a case on your hands for Lemon Law. If it is a safety issue and has been in 3 or more times you have a very strong case. I had a lemon but it was due to a safety issue. You would be driving 50-70 and the transmission would freak out and just go into nuetral even though it was in drive. When you pressed on the gas it would just rev.
I would think the dealership would be responsible for the damage if it was due to something they did or didn't do while it was being serviced.

Shreve "T"
06-15-2007, 07:06 AM
lol...I wanted to better my situation.
Believe me you would !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 07:09 AM
do they make a suburban type, 8 person, lots of storage SUV?
Believe me you would !!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

455Rocket
06-15-2007, 07:10 AM
The other part of the law states that if the vehicle is in service for more than thirty (non consecutive) days during the warranty period it also qualifies. The 3X rule applies for safety issues and 4X for non-safety issues If I remember correctly.
I had a Nissan Titan that went back on an electrical issue...
Looks like you apply for the lemon law. Get a lawer that specializes in lemon cases and walk. Better than taking a chance on a very expensive truck. With most lemon-law attys you don't pay a dime if he takes the case.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
thanks...that is my concern too. What damage occured because of the heat? It was over 110 outside when I was drving...didn't help my cause.
FYI - Also had the oil changed last week. The computer zeroed out the oil life...wondering if I scourched the oil?
Also the A/C didn't go back on after the cooliant was added.
And the engine light won't go off.
They are coming to get the car now.
The other part of the law states that if the vehicle is in service for more than thirty (non consecutive) days during the warranty period it also qualifies. The 3X rule applies for safety issues and 4X for non-safety issues If I remember correctly.
I had a Nissan Titan that went back on an electrical issue...
If you don't apply for the lemon law I would tell them you didn't realize how long the truck was running overheated and go for another engine... better than taking a chance on a very expensive truck.

BajaMike
06-15-2007, 07:18 AM
What damage did it do?
Do I have a gripe?
Thanks All!!!
Tell the service manager at the dealer you want to open a case with the regional service manager. Once this case is opened, it cannot be closed until you are satisfied. The regional people follow up on all open cases daily, and it is a huge thorn in the dealers side until the case is closed.
Have them open a case and have them give you the name and phone number of the regional service manager. Be persistent.

UltraStealth
06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
was in twice for the coolant leak...4 times for AC work. Been through two compressors.
Had problems with Legends Cadillac in North Scottsdale and now with Coliter Cadillac downtown PHX.
Were the AC problems the same thing all 4 times? The other piece I believe is within 6 months, I think, if your car has been in the shop for at least 30 days, it qualifies as a lemon case. You can always check with an attorney. o charge. Also, they won't take the case if you aren't gonna win. Plus, you don't pay your lawyer a dime once it is settled, Caddy will. ;)

Shreve "T"
06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Tell the service manager at the dealer you want to open a case with the regional service manager. Once this case is opened, it cannot be closed until you are satisfied. The regional people follow up on all open cases daily, and it is a huge thorn in the dealers side until the case is closed.
Have them open a case and have them give you the name and phone number of the regional service manager. Be persistent.
This is very true...Dealers DO NOT like it when you go above them to resolve service issues...If they give you any hassles on this. Look in your owners manual to get the regional numbers out of it.:D :D :D

Daytona100
06-15-2007, 07:42 AM
If you Bitch loud enough and get hold of the zone rep and state your concerns. They will probably offer up a free extended warrenty and give you a big ass kissing.:D

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 07:44 AM
do they make a suburban type, 8 person, lots of storage SUV?
No. And you wouldn't be making your situation better.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 07:47 AM
they are trying to give me the run around. Saying they don't have another SUV that I can tow with. Trying to say the engine light is the only problem.
I am calling to open the case now. The service manager is being a jerk. Says nothing he can do.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 07:50 AM
do I ask for the "Zone Rep"?
If you Bitch loud enough and get hold of the zone rep and state your concerns. They will probably offer up a free extended warrenty and give you a big ass kissing.:D

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 07:50 AM
What year and mileage?

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 07:55 AM
05 and 45k still under 100k warranty
What year and mileage?

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I am on with corporate Cady and the dealership...you guys throw out all your tips.
Corporate said next week they would look into it. WTF?

Not So Fast
06-15-2007, 08:02 AM
But you will be faithful and probably buy another right??:confused: Like the guy on here about his Dodge pickup that had numerous problems, big ones, but said he loved the truck and would buy another one. I dont get it!! NSF

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 08:03 AM
I am on with corporate Cady and the dealership...you guys throw out all your tips.
Tell them in the next HOUR you will be speaking to local radio and TV crews, checking their opinions on the matter. :eek:

Daytona100
06-15-2007, 08:04 AM
do I ask for the "Zone Rep"?
Yes you do. He,s the one that is going to make the call. Tell him you are worried about the long term affects of being severely overheated.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 08:05 AM
nice, I am good friends with a local news person on ABC!!!
Tell them in the next HOUR you will be speaking to local radio and TV crews, checking their opinions on the matter. :eek:

spectras only
06-15-2007, 08:06 AM
You're lucky that you haven't got a Ford . This thread would be 30 pages long by now with all the chebby guys chiming in giving you hard time :) :D

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Sadly, this issue you have right now is a dealer error and not a manufacturer issue......the factory had nothing to do with leaving hose clamps off...
But, if your vehicle has collectively been into the dealership for Wrty repairs of 30 or more day you can file for LL, or more than 3 attempts to correct one particular recurring problem.
I could give you the name of my local GM luxury service Rep but I doubt he covers the Phx area.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 08:14 AM
a name would be great
Sadly, this issue you have right now is a dealer error and not a manufacturer issue......the factory had nothing to do with leaving hose clamps off...
But, if your vehicle has collectively been into the dealership for Wrty repairs of 30 or more day you can file for LL, or more than 3 attempts to correct one particular recurring problem.
I could give you the name of my local GM luxury service Rep but I doubt he covers the Phx area.

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 08:17 AM
But you will be faithful and probably buy another right??:confused: Like the guy on here about his Dodge pickup that had numerous problems, big ones, but said he loved the truck and would buy another one. I dont get it!! NSF
Nothing is perfect. If you threw a pushrod or broke a rocker a few times on your HP, you wouldn't just pull it out and put in a 460 - would you? Cars break. Boats break. They are mechanical. If it's mechanical it can break. Sometimes we buy a vehicle and boat and drive it for whatever life we have it and NOTHING goes wrong. Other times it is the opposite.
I firmly believe all brands are putting out top-notch equipment these days. It's all about what brand you like / looks you like / or certain brand-specific equipment you like (Dmax/Allison) etc.
This is an isolated event. My mother has an '04 Escalade, AWD. I have driven that thing over the Grapevine at 75 on the cruise several times in 100+ heat and never seen the temp gauge move. I live in a town dominated by Escalades and Denalis along with 100+ heat and lots of idling. I don't recall seeing one on the side of the road with steam clouds.
The dealership is obviously not fixing the problem. It is hiding there somewhere as all of the other Escalades go down the road just fine. It could be a freak thing like the sand didn't come out of the engine block when it was cast. If it's mostly full of sand, it can't be mostly full of water. Who knows?
Moms had a problem with the AC smelling funky inside. Usually, it is just from years of running on MAX, which turns AC into an ice machine. The ice melts at shutdown and the water grows bacteria in the airbox. Anyway, this was happening with her running on fresh-air 90% of the time, and in it's first year. The second time it went back, they found that the computer that runs the electronics inside was missing a setting. There is an "after-blow" setting that keeps the internal fan running on low after the AC is shut down to dry out the airbox. That setting was turned off. It was as simple as turning that re-setting the computer to do that. No problems for 3 years now.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Colter Cadillac didn't want to give me the zone rep name and number....I called another dealership and they are looking into for me. I am stuck at home, not at work, and suppose to leave town at 12:00(with my boat).
I am trying to throw out the right terms....will keep you posted.
Thanks for all the advice.

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 08:32 AM
a name would be greatCheck your PM's

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 08:40 AM
thanks Ziggy!!!
Check your PM's

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
I sent you a PM too
thanks!
Check your PM's

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Been on hold with Corp. Cadillac for 46 min. Such service.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 09:14 AM
telling me they can't do anything to get me a loaner I can tow with.
The zone rep is on extended leave. So no help there.
Dealership said they can pick up the car and have it back to me today...how do they know there is no longer term damage?
What problems can I have with the engine?

LESSON LEARNED
06-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Use http://www.lundcadillac.com/service.htm
Not from AZ but was treated very well when I used them.
Thanks,
Andy

topless
06-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Go to this link and either call them or file a complaint.
http://search.bbb.org/Results.aspx?n=Colter+Cadillac&add=&c=&st=AZ&z=

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
fo sho
Go to this link and either call them or file a complaint.
http://search.bbb.org/Results.aspx?n=Colter+Cadillac&add=&c=&st=AZ&z=

Not So Fast
06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Damn Paul, sorry if I struck a nerve but I just repeat what is posted and you may be right about a better product or whatever being built. I read reliability and problems per units and that is what I go by, sure you may have a Dodge Chevy, Ford, Toyota, whatever, that you have had no problems with and thats great, if thats the case then by all means stick with the brand you have had good luck with BUT I'm no youngster and have had all brands of cars, too many to count and I switched to Toyota a long time ago and thats the brand for me, the most trouble free car is what I want and they have been such, period. You have to admit that the problems and breakdowns posted just on this board are mostly your big 3.:(
We wont even talk about BOATS:D Thats another whole ball of wax !!! NSF

justfloatn
06-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I did not read all the posts so if I missed something or repeat, Sorry.
I have nine years expierence at a Ford dealer,
So what I have seen with overheating is pistons swell and damage the cylinders, that's it. You can run a compression and leak down to detect if this happened.
As far as getting a loaner that can tow. It will never happen. They do not have anything with a tow ball on it. Your only hope is if it is at the selling dealer. Hopefully you purchased new and it's at the dealer where you bought.
If so, go to the dealer and right to sales. Talk to the General Manager. These guys hate to deal with problems and cave-in easy. If they have a used vehicle with a tow hitch you MIGHT convince him to loan it out as a demo..I have only seen this happen a couple of times.
I would just try and rent a U-haul pick-up or something else and get on with my weekend.

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Damn Paul, sorry if I struck a nerve but I just repeat what is posted and you may be right about a better product or whatever being built. I read reliability and problems per units and that is what I go by, sure you may have a Dodge Chevy, Ford, Toyota, whatever, that you have had no problems with and thats great, if thats the case then by all means stick with the brand you have had good luck with BUT I'm no youngster and have had all brands of cars, too many to count and I switched to Toyota a long time ago and thats the brand for me, the most trouble free car is what I want and they have been such, period. You have to admit that the problems and breakdowns posted just on this board are mostly your big 3.:(
We wont even talk about BOATS:D Thats another whole ball of wax !!! NSF
No no, you didn't strike a nerve, it just seemed that you were saying as soon as you have a few problems with a piece of equipment - change brands.
I was just bringing out the facts that things break. That's why we have warranties. Also, that there are hundreds of thousands of the same vehicle going up and down the road without this problem. If one vehicle has a hiccup, I just can't see bashing the rest of them. That's all I was getting at.

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 03:10 PM
they said they wouldn't do a compression or leak down test. Said the computer will tell them what was up. I am having them sign paperwork stating that I asked for this to be done.
thanks for the reply.
I did not read all the posts so if I missed something or repeat, Sorry.
I have nine years expierence at a Ford dealer,
So what I have seen with overheating is pistons swell and damage the cylinders, that's it. You can run a compression and leak down to detect if this happened.
As far as getting a loaner that can tow. It will never happen. They do not have anything with a tow ball on it. Your only hope is if it is at the selling dealer. Hopefully you purchased new and it's at the dealer where you bought.
If so, go to the dealer and right to sales. Talk to the General Manager. These guys hate to deal with problems and cave-in easy. If they have a used vehicle with a tow hitch you MIGHT convince him to loan it out as a demo..I have only seen this happen a couple of times.
I would just try and rent a U-haul pick-up or something else and get on with my weekend.

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 03:23 PM
they said they wouldn't do a compression or leak down test. Said the computer will tell them what was up. I am having them sign paperwork stating that I asked for this to be done.
thanks for the reply.
Perfect...document everything...make 'em do it if they try not to.....remember, the squeaky hinge gets oiled ;)
I gave the info to my rep, hope he can help somehow, no way to know for sure.

Not So Fast
06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
No no, you didn't strike a nerve, it just seemed that you were saying as soon as you have a few problems with a piece of equipment - change brands.
I was just bringing out the facts that things break. That's why we have warranties. Also, that there are hundreds of thousands of the same vehicle going up and down the road without this problem. If one vehicle has a hiccup, I just can't see bashing the rest of them. That's all I was getting at.
I'm not bashing brands on here of all places, Christ, we have two Toyota products so I'm sure that I'm considered unpatriotic:confused: I just wonder why and you have to admit this, some people on here state all of these problems they are having but then turn around and say they would buy the same thing, I dont understand the allegiance. If you step on my D--k once and I leave it there, well OK, twice and I move it so there is no third time. In over 50 years of being a car nut I want the car I drive daily to be as trouble free as possible and that has been Toyota for me, tried all the rest also. If its different for someone else go for it, thats all. BTW I look at Consumers Reports and have not paid attention to their findings in the past only to find after the fact that they were spot on, especially trouble areas and fewest problems.:( NSF

RiverRatMike
06-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Buy a Dodge !!!!!!
don't buy a Dodge, Dead Or Dieing Garbage Everywhere

boatshopper
06-15-2007, 10:08 PM
:mad: so they deliver the car tonight. They said they went thru the whole thing.
Jumped in it to go to the lake.
Oil presure is around 20 psi...max 40. And it makes a spuratic buzz or whine.
Anyone know what is up? or how to proceed?
FYI - I didn't leave. Wife didn't want to be stuck in the desert.

HPBoats83
06-16-2007, 05:17 AM
One thing you can do that it sounds like you haven't done already is ask for a voluntary buy back from the dealer on the escalade. I have a neighbor who is a service manager (for acura) and that's what he said to do first, and if that doesn't work get on the phone with the lemon law attorney. My brother is going through the lemon law process right now on his 04' F-250 6.0L. From what I understand about the lemon law attorneys and how they opperate is if they take on the case and win, you basically give them a comission of the original overall price of the car. If they don't win the case, they get nothing. Long story short, just call and ask the GM for a voluntary buy back and when they say no, call a lemon law attorney. www.lemonlawaz.com

HPBoats83
06-16-2007, 06:11 AM
The other thing is I run Royal Purple in my boat, truck, motorhome, and a few other things and have good luck with that. I was on the phone with the guys at Royal Purple and they were telling me that their oil doesn't break down until at least 500 degrees or so, so that's one more thing you may be able to do in your escalde to help prevent any further damage (if their has / hasn't been any already). Hopefully their hasn't been any damage and you can lemon law the esv.

boatshopper
06-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Leaving to go to the lake. Out in the desert 115 out side....AIR GOES OUT!!! WTF!
Turned around and came home. Trying to call the dealer...receptionist sends me to the service guys...and I get voice mail.
On with Cadillac service line now.
what am I doing wrong here?:mad: :confused:

3 daytona`s
06-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Leaving to go to the lake. Out in the desert 115 out side....AIR GOES OUT!!! WTF!
Turned around and came home. Trying to call the dealer...receptionist sends me to the service guys...and I get voice mail.
Man,you have way more patience then I would have over this. Good Luck,There is no excuse for this treatment.

Burn504
06-16-2007, 04:03 PM
get off the phone and go there...

RitcheyRch
06-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh man that sucks. Think is time to find another dealer.