PDA

View Full Version : Houston Tx Advice???

Havasu Luvr
06-15-2007, 08:19 AM
How is life in Houston? Cost of living? Housing? Particularly a new office in the "Galleria" Westheimer Rd. & Post Oak Blvd.... Now the most important ???? Is there boating in this area? Thanks in advance

voodoomedman
06-15-2007, 08:23 AM
How is life in Houston? Cost of living? Housing? Particularly a new office in the "Galleria" Westheimer Rd. & Post Oak Blvd.... Now the most important ???? Is there boating in this area? Thanks in advance
I've heard good things about Houston.
Seriously think about why you may be moving though. Once you leave SoCal it's going to be stupid expensive to come back. So if your just going to try and save some money or something but your heart is really in this rat race then don't go. If you are done with the rat race and all the other issues here then pack your bags. I'm throwing an article of clothing in my bags each day.

rrrr
06-15-2007, 08:39 AM
The Galleria-Post Oak area is nice. Lots of beautiful houses just North of the area in Piney Point Village and the Memorial Drive/Voss Ave area. $500K will get you a good one.
Boating......eh. Lake Houston is a muddy ****hole, Conroe is good but rough (what am I thinking, you boat on Havasu...:D), Somerville is OK but 1 1/2 hours NW of Houston.
Conroe is prolly the best, especially if you have a 25' + boat.
No State income taxes in Texas so property taxes will seem high. The cost of living is reasonable, stuff like insurance is not bad.

Baja Big Dog
06-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Steers and queers......better step up to the plate!!!:D

Tons of Fun
06-15-2007, 08:50 AM
I am in Houston as I write this on business, and you couldnt pay me to live here. I must say that the people are REALLY nice, but the weather and traffic is unbearable. I am from the Ventura area in CA and it is heaven there minus the home prices.
Again, the people are great in Houston, but do your research before making any decisions. :)

jdf
06-15-2007, 08:53 AM
do you have to go to houston

pro53
06-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Galleria area is nice but to much traffic. I guess you can get used to it.Have lived in Houston and surrounding areas 37 years.You couldnt get me to live in Houston.I hate the congestion of traffic.I live in Tomball about 30 minutes on a good day from the galleria an 1hr 1/2 on a bad day.I am planning on moving out further to get away from the inter city bull crap.Conroe is fine for your big boat.I always go to Somerville. Is a good size lake.

Devilman
06-15-2007, 09:37 AM
I agree, the traffic frikkin SUCKS! You kinda get used to it though. Last two trips to Houston, once was pulling a truck on a dolly & the next was pulling a trailer with a truck on it (same truck actually, LOL), it wasn't too terrible. Just seems like the highway is always under construction around there. :confused:
Pro53 why is that, what do ya'll do to the roads there? :D

pro53
06-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I agree, the traffic frikkin SUCKS! You kinda get used to it though. Last two trips to Houston, once was pulling a truck on a dolly & the next was pulling a trailer with a truck on it (same truck actually, LOL), it wasn't too terrible. Just seems like the highway is always under construction around there. :confused:
Pro53 why is that, what do ya'll do to the roads there? :D
We just do that to keep all the illegal aliens working:D

topless
06-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I used to live there. Are you thinking of moving or what?

voodoomedman
06-15-2007, 09:49 AM
We just do that to keep all the illegal aliens working:D
And that is one of the reasons why I'm not looking at Texas. There more borderline with Mexico than there is here.

Old Texan
06-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I live on the south side about 45 miles from the Galleria area. Unless you like urban living the best deals for homes would probably be southwest,west, or northwest suburbs. The Sam Houston Tollway gives you a pretty good shot in and out of down during both rush hours. It dumps you on Westheimer or Richmond with easy Galleria access. I just moved back from Atlanta and Houston traffic moves better and damn sure better than LA.
Lake wise Houston isn't real good, with my opinion being Lake Conroe the best of the closest. If you don't mind saltwater boating Clear Lake off Galveston Bay is full of "Hot Boats". Weekends to Austin give you many choices of Lakes Travis, Austin, and the rest of the Colorado chain plus Canyon Lake near San Marcos / New Braunfels. These are all 150-200 miles drivefrom west Houston.
Housing and cost of living a plus, humidity and hot weather a minus. Plenty of saltwater recreation up and down the coast.

OGShocker
06-15-2007, 11:26 AM
How is life in Houston? I spend a lot of time in Houston. It is HOT and HUMID!! Over 1/3 of the "9th ward" lives there now.Cost of living? A very reasonable city to live in! There are a TON of places to eat in the IAH!. Housing? Housing is cheap!
Is there boating in this area? Thanks in advance Lake Conroe and the Gulf of Mexico are near by!
Good Luck!!!

2Driver
06-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Weekends to Austin give you many choices of Lakes Travis, Austin, and the rest of the Colorado chain plus Canyon Lake near San Marcos / New Braunfels. .
I could live on Lake Travis, real easy

voodoomedman
06-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I spend a lot of time in Houston.
It's easy for you though. Nobody will mess with you because they know they will have to answer to the lead pipe. :D

Kachina26
06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm in Fort Worth right now, all I've got to say is it is crazy focking humid here!!! Gorgeous country though. Home prices up in the north Ft Worth area are very reasonable. Don't forget to buy your booze before sundown, no booze after 9pm and none on Sundays. Also none at the grocery store. No mountains either.

Mountainstone
06-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Lived in north Texas for years; going back when we retire but NOT TO HOUSTON. Folks are indeed nice enough, but the weather and the traffic are horrendous. I think Houston is routinely in the top five cities with the worst air quality. Pretty much all the lakes in the hill country of Texas between Houston and Dallas are nice.

ekimzark
06-15-2007, 06:52 PM
there was a shootout in the parking lot of my hotel there....drove down for an airshow .... and that was all in about the hour that I was awake. Never saw the police.
Supposedly the crime rate went way way up after some of the newer residents moved in.

Spotondl
06-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Over 1/3 of the "9th ward" lives there now.
Good Luck!!!
Ding ding ding, we have a winner... Houston has the crime to prove it too...