PDA

View Full Version : 496 Ho ????

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I'm looking down on my engine, and in the bilge is a small OD rubber hose about 2 1/2 feet long. The other end is attached to what appears to be a small cylinder about 3 inches high. I've never noticed the end of the hose laying in the bilge before.
Is it supposed to or do I hook it back up to???
BTW. The cylinder is on the left side looking down

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 08:37 AM
It's not the oil drain hose, is it? Mine is attached to the drain plug with a chain. That's the only hose I can think of, other than the one from the fuel valve to the boost pump.

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 08:38 AM
It's not the oil drain hose, is it? Mine is attached to the drain plug with a chain. That's the only hose I can think of, other than the one from the fuel valve to the boost pump.
Not the drain hose. The OD on this one is about 1/4".

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm looking down on my engine, and in the bilge is a small OD rubber hose about 2 1/2 feet long. The other end is attached to what appears to be a small cylinder about 3 inches high. I've never noticed the end of the hose laying in the bilge before.
Is it supposed to or do I hook it back up to???
BTW. The cylinder is on the left side looking down
Define left/right better as if you were sitting in the seat....
Oil drain is all I can think other than a fuel or coolant hose that happens to be routed that way.....
Just wave your Magic wand and fix it ;) :D

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Is that perhaps a fuel filter or water trap of some sort?

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 08:42 AM
The loose end is very neat and clean - like it was never clamped or fastened to anything.

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Ah. Vacuum line to the lower fuel pressure regulator? Under the plastic engine cover, you will see the fuel rail. On the left side (looking forward) of the fuel rail, there is the upper regulator. There is a vac line attached to it (I don't know why as the reg is disabled) that "T"s to another line that goes down to the RIGHT side of the motor. Fuel unit is along the bottom of the motor, aft of the sea-pump. That line goes down to the actual regulator on the fuel unit.

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
what is the cylinder bolted to? Do any other hoses or components attach to it?

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Ah. Vacuum line to the lower fuel pressure regulator? Under the plastic engine cover, you will see the fuel rail. On the left side (looking forward) of the fuel rail, there is the upper regulator. There is a vac line attached to it (I don't know why as the reg is disabled) that "T"s to another line that goes down to the RIGHT side of the motor. Fuel unit is along the bottom of the motor, aft of the sea-pump. That line goes down to the actual regulator on the fuel unit.
So as I'm looking down at the motor. The regulator is on the lower left, under the exhaust manifold? That's where the hose is coming from. Where do I re-attach? To the "T" on the top of the motor?

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 08:50 AM
RR was trying to make sure his boat was faster than yours.......need any ideas for payback?? :D:D:D:D:D:D

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 08:50 AM
So as I'm looking down at the motor. The regulator is on the lower left, under the exhaust manifold? That's where the hose is coming from. Where do I re-attach? To the "T" on the top of the motor?
Yes, looking toward the back, lower left under the mani. You should see the 3/8" fuel line coming from you tank valve (if equipped) or you fuel tank. Follow that to the boost pump. Then, look around there for the fuel cooler, which has larger water lines going in/out. On that little cooler is the regulator. You should see a bare port for the line in ?, or the line is attached to that. Regardless, the line from there should come up to the top of the motor and attach to a T.

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 08:57 AM
The reg is #15, just follow the B and C stuff.
http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/PXImages/PartsCatalog/COMMON/18704_500.gif

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 09:02 AM
That's all connected - the B and C.

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Got it. THX

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 09:26 AM
I'd be wondering what RR was doing with that hose last time he was in your boat J....:eek:
Good to have knowledgable folks to help out here......

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Got it. THX
So, that was it? or still unknown?

Not So Fast
06-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Mine had that little 1/4" hose also, it just remained loose, they said it was supposed to be like that:idea: NSF

Beer-30
06-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Mine had that little 1/4" hose also, it just remained loose, they said it was supposed to be like that:idea: NSF
I'll have to look at mine. I sure haven't noticed it. Very interesting.

Not So Fast
06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
I'll have to look at mine. I sure haven't noticed it. Very interesting.
I forget what they said it was for but I noticed it right away as did my Cuz. Its somebodies elses problem now as is all the other sensors and wiring they hang on the 496HO to idiot proof them :D NSF

riverroyal
06-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Im not there,crap he figured it out

phebus
06-15-2007, 06:54 PM
That "hose" means it's a male engine. :D Your lucky, much less tempermental then the female, and it won't give you any shit. The downside is that they like to drink more, so your fuel expense will be more.

riverroyal
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
That "hose" means it's a male engine. :D Your lucky, much less tempermental then the female, and it won't give you any shit. The downside is that they like to drink more, so your fuel expense will be more.
I spoke with JB today he said you were in your same spot in the channel,Did you rent that spot?:D

phebus
06-15-2007, 07:03 PM
I spoke with JB today he said you were in your same spot in the channel,Did you rent that spot?:D
I made the mistake of leaving that spot, and going down to Steamboat. The Islander Cult was there, and Outcoled tried to hit on me, until Frind of AA and TA said he wanted him for himself. So, I left those two lovers and ran for the hills.
Whew, what a bunch of homos those Islander guys are. :D

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 07:07 PM
The hose is part of the winterizing system. It's for over flowing fluid or something. It's supposed to lay loose in the bilge.
RR is a fag 'cause he's home!
Phebus doesn't rent that spot - he eeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarned it!
30 - thanks for your help. When I saw the schematic, I knew it wasn't the fuel system. Well. I knew it wasn't when my Brother in law took a toke of the stuff that was in the hose and, after he was done coughing, said - it's not fuel...:)

riverroyal
06-15-2007, 07:07 PM
I made the mistake of leaving that spot, and going down to Steamboat. The Islander Cult was there, and Outcoled tried to hit on me, until Frind of AA and TA said he wanted him for himself. So, I left those two lovers and ran for the hills.
a place there,500 a month rent to get hit on by homos

JB in so cal
06-15-2007, 07:09 PM
That was the only place we didn't go, today.
There sure were a bunch of Magics out here... Regatta or something?
Oh, and one more...does Ultra sell anything BUT Shadows? Beautiful boats!