PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Unearths Buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere

RitcheyRch
06-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Pretty cool find.
http://cbs2.com/topstories/topstories_story_166122201.html
Hundreds of curious onlookers gathered Friday to learn the secrets of a gold and white Plymouth Belvedere buried half a century ago under this city's courthouse lawn.
The 1957 two-door hardtop - buried to celebrate Oklahoma's 50 years of statehood - was encased in a 12-by-20-foot concrete vault, supposedly tough enough to withstand a nuclear attack.
Event officials already had to pump out several feet of water from the crypt that held the Belvedere for a half-century. But the condition of the car, wrapped in three layers of mud-caked protective material, remains a mystery.
Will it be a rust-bucket? Will it even start? Is the bit of shiny chrome visible on the bumper a good omen?
Not many people seem to care.
"I just need to see it," said Marc Montague of Auckland, New Zealand, among the couple hundred spectators amassed at the downtown site Thursday afternoon. "I've been waiting 15 years for this."
Also buried with it were 10 gallons of gasoline - in case internal combustion engines became obsolete by 2007 - a case of beer, and the contents of a typical woman's handbag placed in the glove compartment: 14 bobby pins, a bottle of tranquilizers, a lipstick, a pack of gum, tissues, a pack of cigarettes, matches and $2.43.
There was also a spool of microfilm that recorded the entries of a contest to determine who would win the car: the person who guessed the closest of what Tulsa's population would be in 2007 - 382,457 - would win.
That person, or his or her heirs, will get the car and a $100 savings account, worth about $1,200 today with interest.
Thursday afternoon, legendary hot rod builder Boyd Coddington inspected the vault and what he was able to see of the car with his crew.
The task will fall to Coddington, host of the TV series American Hot Rod on The Learning Channel, to try to start the thing up at a ceremony Thursday evening. Tens of thousands of tickets were sold for the event.
"We're optimistic," Coddington said. "I'm really concerned about the rust on the bottom of the car."
Back on the day the Belvedere was buried, all Bixby resident Marlene Parker wanted to do was find a photographer for her wedding. Catching a glimpse of the car being lowered into the ground was the last thing on her priority list.
Unfortunately, not for the photographer: he was shooting the burial.
This weekend, the 70-year-old will celebrate 50 years of marriage and may come downtown to see what all the fuss was about back then.
"Probably across the pond people know about it," Parker said. "If nobody knew where Tulsa, Oklahoma was before, they do now."

Baja Big Dog
06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Hope Boyd brought some pixy dust..hes gonna need it if he thinks he ius gonna start that after that thing has been submurged in water for 50 years....

Baja Big Dog
06-15-2007, 11:51 AM
More
http://www.kotv.com/e-clips/?id=6748

RiverToysJas
06-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Cool!!!! But if was the heir to the winner, I certainly wouldn't want Boyd screwing around with my car. :devil:
RTJas :D

Baja Big Dog
06-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Cool!!!! But if was the heir to the winner, I certainly wouldn't want Boyd screwing around with my car. :devil:
Besides Boyd's most recent fame from the discovery Channels show, and the many many years of building , designing custom roadsters and cars, I am curious why such a statement would be made??
Please share with those of us (or myself if IM the only one that finds your statement without merit) your personal dealings with Boyd....

Devilman
06-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Hope Boyd brought some pixy dust..hes gonna need it if he thinks he ius gonna start that after that thing has been submurged in water for 50 years....
Yeah, in one of those videos, it was mentioned that although the water in the vault was only around 3 feet deep, they think the vault may have been level full at one time or another. :jawdrop:

RiverToysJas
06-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Besides Boyd's most recent fame from the discovery Channels show, and the many many years of building , designing custom roadsters and cars, I am curious why such a statement would be made??
Please share with those of us (or myself if IM the only one that finds your statement without merit) your personal dealings with Boyd....
My opinion, that's all. If that car should belong to someone, they should check with them before messing around with it....good intentions or not. ;)
As for Boyd.....I'm the son of a talented machinist & hot rob builder hobbiest. Dad's built some nice stuff, including his current channelled '32 coupe, as well as held national drag racing records back in the day. As a result, I have very specific taste. I do not like Boyds style, never have. IMHO he's a jerk too...been around him a few times through my Dad, know MANY people know him well. Not that it matter's, but Boyd's the best at what he does, just ask him.
Foose can have the car until it's ready to pick-up though. I like his style a lot!!!

shockwaveharry
06-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Maybe he said that cuz Boyd comes off as such a prick on tv... I remember how excited I was to learn he was going to do a television show. The excitement turned to disappointment after the first few that I watched. Total crap! He's definately one of the most talented guys out there, no doubt, but I wouldn't want him near my Belvedere on principal.
Chip, Jesse or Barry White would have been a better choice.

Baja Big Dog
06-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Maybe he said that cuz Boyd comes off as such a prick on tv... I remember how excited I was to learn he was going to do a television show. The excitement turned to disappointment after the first few that I watched. Total crap! He's definately one of the most talented guys out there, no doubt, but I wouldn't want him near my Belvedere on principal.
Chip, Jesse or Barry White would have been a better choice.
Gotta love the show...you can see that the producers wanted a car show version of the American Chopper show, with Boyd being the "Paul Sr" of the custom car business, and it failed miserably in my opinion, that is not Boyd's personality, its funny when he tries the tough guy act, his heart just ain't in it..

IMPATIENT 1
06-15-2007, 12:35 PM
My opinion, that's all. If that car should belong to someone, they should check with them before messing around with it....good intentions or not. ;)
As for Boyd.....I'm the son of a talented machinist & hot rob builder hobbiest. Dad's built some nice stuff, including his current channelled '32 coupe, as well as held national drag racing records back in the day. As a result, I have very specific taste. I do not like Boyds style, never have. IMHO he's a jerk too...been around him a few times through my Dad, know MANY people know him well. Not that it matter's, but Boyd's the best at what he does, just ask him.
Foose can have the car until it's ready to pick-up though. I like his style a lot!!!
i agree, let foose have at it.boyd's a dick , chip is the man!!!! you can tell from chip's shows he's a great builder, kind hearted person. his crew loves him which tells me alot about his character as a boss and man;)
my grandpa's from tulsa , wonder if i won:D

Ziggy
06-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Gotta love the show...you can see that the producers wanted a car show version of the American Chopper show, with Boyd being the "Paul Sr" of the custom car business, and it failed miserably in my opinion, that is not Boyd's personality, its funny when he tries the tough guy act, his heart just ain't in it..
To me he walks around acting as if everyone in the shop should be reading his mind...........
That show got old reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal fast for me.

mdunn01
06-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Well the fact they havent opened the doors and no inside shots really with the camera blows. Regardless, its a wreck, from all the damage we see, basically they threw the car in a fish tank and barried it for 50 years. They should have water sealed the vault, but they didnt. I bet you would have had a killer car like the stuff in the time capsule had they sealed it. Its a rust wreck..

mdunn01
06-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, in one of those videos, it was mentioned that although the water in the vault was only around 3 feet deep, they think the vault may have been level full at one time or another. :jawdrop:
exactly, that fish tank was full of water everytime it rained enough....its a big ass fish tank!

Invisible Sun
06-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Two things:
1) Those cars where the worst for rust because Chrysler put so much money into design that they didn't rust proof them for chit!
2) Boyd's an ass. I had a run in with him in the late 90's. In fact it was a '57 Belvedere convertible that I wanted to by from his place in Stanton. Anyway we ended up consigning my Road Runner with him later to find out that he sold it for $10,000 more than what he paid me for it. So much for taking 5%
S

73kona455
06-15-2007, 06:35 PM
it was trashed.......:eek:
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/Buried_Belvedere.sff_OKSO111_20070615214741.jpg
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/Buried_Belvedere.sff_OKSO114_20070615215044.jpg
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/Buried_Belvedere.sff_OKSO112_20070615214615.jpg

shockwaveharry
06-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Dosen't look like anything a can of WD-40 and a little elbow grease couldn't fix...

Havasu Doug
06-15-2007, 06:54 PM
It looks like the beginning of a new "Christine" movie. :eek:

ratso
06-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd like to smack the dumbass that had that bright idea... http://www.***boat.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Daytona100
06-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Off to pick your part with that POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mdunn01
06-15-2007, 10:37 PM
If they would have water proofed the vault instead on making a swiming pool and placing a car in it, this might have turned out exciting.

Kindsvater Flat
06-15-2007, 10:46 PM
was the beer still good?

73kona455
06-16-2007, 03:10 AM
it said the cans of schlitz were very rusted:eek: :eek: :jawdrop: .. and the ladies stuff that was supposed to be in the glove box.. all they found was a brown lump...

73kona455
06-16-2007, 03:11 AM
And Boyd Coddington said he couldnt get the car to start.. go figure...:idea: :idea:

Bow Tie Omega
06-16-2007, 07:50 AM
Cool idea...Maybe next time, the person doing it will take a little more time with sealing the chamber. Thats is really to bad. And as far as the Boyd comments, I do not even think Jesus Christ could start that thing

AZKC
06-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Next On Unique Auto:D
http://www.automotiverhythms.com/images/as_fmf2005_15lg.jpg

Sleek-Jet
06-16-2007, 09:00 AM
A Belevdere huh??? Maybe they ought to let it sit there and see if it will "self restore"... :D

LEADFOOTjosh
06-16-2007, 09:09 AM
funny.. they really didnt think this out to well.. did they really think that wrapping the car in serand wrap was goona keep it fresh for 50 years under ground.. LOL.. :) :) :)

myoung
06-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, the lucky hier could sell the stainless trim and make a couple bucks.:idea:
That's a shame right there. Right now there are probably other cars sitting in the same situation in other parts of the world as well. I'm sure if those towns have seen this, they're probably thinking about scraping their unvieling plans.
I heard something in the video that there was one of the guys there that was part of the project of burying the car. I'll bet he was getting grilled big time about what they were thinking by not sealing the vault, and he was probably just some guy with a shovel or something, poor guy.
I love all the Boyd Coddington drama. You can tell he's done the job of spinning himself well. The fact that he's still around, and still popular at that, after the ammount of crap that he's pulled and the number of people he's burned is a testament to his abilities to self promote. I can't stand the guy, but I have to give credit where it's due.
I think too many have developed thier opinion of him since his T.V. show came along. Those of us that have been around in the hobby as long as he has, or longer, and have seen where he started and how far he's gone really know a lot more than what most have seen in the last few years. The show just makes him look like some loud mouth hardass of a boss that people watch and think he's a prick. The real story is all the shit he's pulled and the people he's screwed, not me personally, just people I've met or heard about through channels. I will agree, he was a talented car builder back when he used to build them, but he has always had a reputation of being an ass for as long as I can remember and that goes back to the 80's when he showed up on the scene.
I know the times I've met and talked to him, he's been rude and arrogant and just wanted to blow me off on some occasions, while other times he's been the nicest guy in the world. My guess is his greatest talent is his ability to sum up a persons inclination to patronize his business and I probably made it look like I was interested when he was nice to me. :idea:

RitcheyRch
06-16-2007, 11:08 AM
What a shame that someone didnt really take the time to do it right. Would have been pretty cool if the car came out in perfect condition.

Infomaniac
06-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Yea it is real easy to use hind sight to state how it should have been done. It was 1957. Would be real easy today to design a perfectly sealed chamber.
The time capsule itself held everythng in mint condition. The car and contents put in the trunk and inside etc were trashed.
I LMAO when I hard Boyd was coming to start the car. And guaranteed that he could start it. :D They can't even start the brand new projects that they do.
I watched it live since I live here. Was a dissapointment for sure. The car would have been better off sitting in a field somewhere for 50 years.

Nord
06-20-2007, 11:12 AM
You would need a tetanus shot to even begin with that thing.

Liberator TJ1984
06-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Put a Blown Moritz Racing Engine in it !!!:idea:
Call her " Swamp Thing " :D

Chipster27
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
funny.. they really didnt think this out to well.. did they really think that wrapping the car in serand wrap was goona keep it fresh for 50 years under ground.. LOL.. :) :) :)
Ahh the 50s. Come on everyone watch us blow off an atomic bomb. Never mind the fall out, keep smoking your cigarettes and you will be OK :D
Can wait for 2057 to see what kind of crap we are unsuspectingly being exposed to now :eek:

DSW
06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Has anybody seen more recent pics? after they cleaned all the crap off of it?

fat rat
06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
It's in pretty ruff shape from what I have seen.:jawdrop:

RitcheyRch
06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
I havent seen anything.

xs ultra
06-20-2007, 01:54 PM
You would need a tetanus shot to even begin with that thing.
That's funny !

Infomaniac
06-20-2007, 02:27 PM
It was on display this past weekend. It had holes rusted through etc.
Clean the crap off? Thats the only thing holding it together.

Ivan Dan
06-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Perfect for an episode of Xzibits show....
http://www.mtv.com/onair/pimp_my_ride/season6/NEW_main_image_6_07/pimp-my-ride_281x211.jpg

RitcheyRch
06-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Plenty of pictures here
http://www.buriedcar.com/photo_galleries/june_15th_unveiling/main.htm

Baja Big Dog
06-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I would have questioned the rust issue. Rust is the end result of air hitting the wet steel (hence sunken ships that in the water for many many years and no rust) , and if the car was submerged I wouldn't think it would have the air inside the chamber to cause rust. I would understand a lot of mud, as it appeared, but I would have bet money on the lack of rust.
Well those pictures proved me wrong!!!!:mad:

RitcheyRch
06-23-2007, 07:47 PM
http://cbs2.com/topstories/topstories_story_174230730.html
The winner of a rusted 1957 Plymouth Belvedere that was unearthed last week from a leaky vault in died in 1979, and the ownership of the car will pass to his closest living relatives.
When the car was buried in 1957, more than 800 people submitted guesses on what Tulsa's population — which was around 250,000 in 1957 — would be in 2007. Guesses ranged from zero to 2 billion, but Raymond E. Humbertson's guess of 384,743 was only slightly off the official U.S. Census count of 382,457.
Tulsa officials announced Friday that Humbertson had won the two-door hardtop Belvedere that drew international attention when it was pulled from the vault on June 15.
His nephew, Donald Humbertson of Woodbridge, Va., said that Raymond Humbertson died of cancer at age 57 and his wife, Margaret Humbertson, died in 1988. Raymond and Margaret Humbertson had no children, their nephew said.
Raymond Humbertson's closest living relatives are two elderly sisters in Maryland, Donald Humbertson said.
The Oklahoma Centennial Commission will have a trust company speak with the Humbertson family about the family's wishes for the car, centennial events co-chairwoman Sharon King Davis said Saturday.
Donald Humbertson said that his uncle was a career Marine and a Korean War veteran who spent his final years as an administrator at a community college in northern Virginia.
"He was just sort of a happy-go-lucky guy," Donald Humbertson said.
The family coincidentally had a reunion planned for Saturday to unveil a monument in a cemetery in Cumberland, W.Va.
"This will probably give us something to talk about," said Dina Lawyer, Raymond Humbertson's grandniece.
Had it been in good condition when it was lifted from its vault under the lawn of the Tulsa County Courthouse, the gold-and-white Belvedere could have been worth as much as $50,000, but because of massive water damage, its value now mostly is historical.
The winner of the car also will receive a $100 savings bond buried with it.

Her454
06-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Looks like the Titanic fared better than the Chevy did. There are pics floating around of an old Hydro that sat on the bottom of Havasu for 20 or so years that looked alot better than that chevy too LOL.
Sad to see a historical car like that such a mess but like Info said, that was 1957 and Im sure they didn't have the knowlege back then to keep it in the condition they intended.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139Titanic_vs_chevy.jpg

wsuwrhr
06-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Chevy....Chevy?
:2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:
Don't you have a cop to outrun or an 80MPH ticket to sign somewhere?
Haha
Brian
Looks like the Titanic fared better than the Chevy did. There are pics floating around of an old Hydro that sat on the bottom of Havasu for 20 or so years that looked alot better than that chevy too LOL.
Sad to see a historical car like that such a mess but like Info said, that was 1957 and Im sure they didn't have the knowlege back then to keep it in the condition they intended.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139Titanic_vs_chevy.jpg