PDA

View Full Version : Bad Judgement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daytona100
06-17-2007, 07:50 AM
This had to be the worst idea ever. Do a burnout next to a crowd of people in a Pro mod car. Updated:2007-06-17 11:04:01
Drag Racing Crash Kills Seven at Parade
By WILL YORK
AP
SELMER, Tenn. (June 17) - Investigators were trying to determine what caused a drag-racing car to lose control during a parade and careen into a crowd, killing seven people and injuring several others.
Tragedy in Tennessee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talk About It: Post Thoughts
Four died on Saturday and three more deaths were reported Sunday morning.
The crash occurred Saturday night during an "exhibition burnout" at the Cars for Kids charity event in Selmer, located about 80 miles east of Memphis, according to a drag-racing organization. A burnout is when a driver spins a car's tires to make them heat up and smoke.
Witness Scott Henley said the vehicle started burning off its tires, then began to fishtail and slammed into a utility pole before spinning around into the audience.
Selmer Police Chief Neal Burks said, "bodies were flying into the air when it happened."
Tennessee Highway Patrol spokesman Mike Browning said at least eight people were taken to three hospitals. The fatalities were all adults, he said.
The identities of the victims and the driver, or the driver's condition, were not immediately known.
Browning said the vehicle has been described as a drag-racing car, but he did not have more details about it.
Matthew Brammer, administrator of AMS Pro Modified Series, which sanctions drag races, said late Saturday that the car involved has been driven by drag racer Troy Critchley, of Wylie, Texas, but he did not know if Critchley was driving when the car struck the crowd.
The release said the driver was performing a burnout when road conditions caused the car to lose control, striking the pole and then spinning into the crowd.
"The race team is in shock and deeply saddened by this unexpected event. Their hearts and prayers are with the injured people and their families," the release said.
Sheriff's officials and police began to close the festival shortly after the crash. About 40,000 to 60,000 people were expected to attend the weekend event.
Cars for Kids holds several events throughout the nation and raises close to $200,000 annually for charities that help children in need, according to its Web site.
The charity was formed in 1990, two years after founder Larry Price's son, Chad, suffered a severe head injury in a bicycle accident.
Price promised that if his son was saved from lifelong injuries, he would spend the rest of his life raising funds for disabled children, according to the Web site.
Price could not be reached for comment Saturday night.
AOL@News © 2007 AOL LLC. All Rights Reserved.▲BACK TO TOP

wsuwrhr
06-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Wow, how sad.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

jdf
06-17-2007, 07:57 AM
ditto

boater72
06-17-2007, 08:33 AM
http://www.breitbart.tv/html/1794.html

bigq
06-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Is that even a race track?

ratso
06-17-2007, 09:07 AM
I went to Lawrenceburg, TN... to buy a motor and we passed through there as they were setting up for that event... We got back to Texas and I caught this on the news... sad...

CARLSON-JET
06-17-2007, 09:08 AM
I couldn't agree more Daytona.. It looks like a scene from some third world country or a sat night drunk fest at a ricer show. Very sad indeed. Now the poor guy who has committed many years of his life to save kids with his fundraiser is most likely going to have to stop. The families who lost loved ones will live with this tragedy for the rest of their lives. I keep asking myself WHY would anybody do this with a crowd standing just a few feet away..This is just wrong on SO MANY levels. Sad Sad news and my heart goes out to all those involved.

ratso
06-17-2007, 09:11 AM
The owner, and maybe driver too was from Wylie, TX... looked like a typical car show when we passed through.

73kona455
06-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Is that even a race track?
no.. it was on a public highway.. really stupid idea....

73kona455
06-17-2007, 11:23 AM
heres the car...
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/Car_Show_Deaths.sff_TNSEL106_20070616220451.jpg

centerhill condor
06-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I went to Lawrenceburg, TN... to buy a motor and we passed through there as they were setting up for that event... We got back to Texas and I caught this on the news... sad...
Dude, you should've pm'd we'd bought you a beer and bad mouthed these TN gals!
CC

ratso
06-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Dude, you should've pm'd we'd bought you a beer and bad mouthed these TN gals!
CC
I was bad-mouthing Hwy 64 from Memphis to Lawrenceburg...:D
Heck, I would have liked to spend more time around Memphis and was even planning to have dinner with ex#1 in Nashville, but I was so pressed for time that we just drove in, got the motor, and hauled ass back. Once my season slows down, I'll be back that way to kill some time...;)
It was funny... drove into Lawreceburg late Thursday night and got a hotel room... was lucky we didn't come in Friday night because all the rooms were booked for a Fiddler's Convention:jawdrop: and some wedding... We drove thru Taco Bell and saw these two chicks out in the parking lot talking and about the time I was going to walk up and go "Hey, we're from Texas... ya'll know where the party's at tonight?"http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif... some dude drives up in his Vette and they both pile in and drive off...http://www.***boat.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
Anyway, wasn't a soul in sight so we crashed for a few hours, got my motor the next morning, and drove 12 hours back...

brad22
06-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Holy crap. That was a pretty serious burnout for just being on a resedential street or highway. Very sad the people that were their just to have a good time and ended up killed. Bet they wont be doing anymore burnouts at that event anymore. :(

HighRoller
06-17-2007, 12:50 PM
As bas as all that sounds, it might get worse. The investigators at this point are NOT EVEN SURE IF THE DRIVER WAS THE PERSON BEHIND THE WHEEL! God help them if they let a crew member drive the thing in the parade and he caused this mess.But it does make sense because it's unlikely that the driver would have tried to do a burnout in such tight confines.

shueman
06-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Unbelieveable....:eek: :(

ssmike
06-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Here is the local news coverage
http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=6668755
And here is the amateur video
http://www.wmcstations.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1518527&h1=Drag%20racer%20kills%20bystanders%20at%20car%20 show&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=181733&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D6668755&rnd=18658779

DMOORE
06-17-2007, 10:29 PM
That whole story is very sad. People just trying to help a good cause. It could easily been any of us standing there.
Darrell.

Decided Advantage
06-18-2007, 04:20 AM
Very unfortunate.
Everyone wants to see, smell, feel a taste the power of motor sport events, so everyone (spectators, promoters, etc.) push closer and devise ways and events to get closer yet. Then the power comes unleashed and someone gets hurt.
A rouge driver? Just a bad situation. 20-20 hind sight, shouldn't have been there.

Old Texan
06-18-2007, 05:13 AM
Anyone connected with that car and raceteam should be put in jail and never allowed to have anything to do with drag racing again. That was the most negligent display of "idoicy" I've ever seen. A Pro Mod typically has 2,000+ HP and in no, way, shape, or form should ever be run on a public street, especially with people in close poximity. I question even having a Pro Mod car idling down a public road. Not to mention there is most likely no insurance coverage under those conditions.
The driver had to have made the decision on his own as no safety first racing organization would have ever allowed that type of careless stunt. This was an extremely foolish act that should never have happened and those responsible are liable for a terrible tragedy. How very sad......

Daytona100
06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I still cant beleive the driver tried to make a full pass on a city street what a jackass!!!!!!!!

boater72
06-18-2007, 08:25 PM
The Tennessee Highway Patrol conducted a press conference today discussing more details of Saturday’s Cars for Kids tragedy which killed spectators watching an exhibition of drag racing machinery. Six bystanders, including two teenagers, were killed when a Pro Modified car driven by Troy Critchley crashed into a utility pole and bounced into a crowd of spectators. An official count listed 20 injuries.
Police Chief Neil Burkes said the event has been a safe one for the eighteen years it’s been conducted in his town.
“I have been the chief here in Selmar for ten years and it has gone on for as long as I have been here,” Burkes said. “It has been a safe event up until this year. We had a tragic accident and that’s just it. It had been a safe event up until this year.”
Last year, the Pro Modified entry driven by Doug Palmer performed a similar burnout with no incident. A video of the exhibition appeared on the Cars For Kids website.
The Tennessee Highway Patrol is conducting an extensive investigation of the event and will submit the results of its investigation to the Tennessee Attorney General for review. This is a routine procedure for incidents of this nature.
“If there are any individuals who have specific information that may be of value to this investigation and have not been interviewed, please call the Jackson district of the Tennessee Highway Patrol,” said Mike Browning, spokesman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol. “We are taking a look at all of the comprehensive factors of this accident.”
The Tennessee Highway Patrol will reconstruct the accident, and while it will take time to complete, it is of the highest priority, added Browning. He said additional resources are being brought in to interview every witness of the incident as well as victims.
The Tennessee Attorney General’s office is involved in the investigation as well.
“It was a complex matter and a complex scene with many people there,” said District Attorney General Mike Dunavant. “We are still preliminarily in this investigation. I will be reviewing the information from officers and agents to make decisions whether and what, crime may be charged as a result of this.
“We certainly want the people of Selmar and McNairy County to know we are doing everything we can to address these issues of public safety and responsibility.”
Dunavant said his department has not decided whether criminal charges will be filed. Critchley was not arrested in connection with the incident.
“No determination has been made yet and it would be irresponsible for me to make a judgement until I have all the facts,” Dunavant said. “We are still reviewing all of the details.”
Greg Henley, a witness to the accident, told CNN that he felt the tragedy nobody’s fault but just an unfortunate accident.
“I call it an unfortunate accident,” Henley said. “I knew some of the people that got hurt. It’s very unfortunate for the families and their members that got hurt.”
critchley_sat.jpgThe AMS Racing Team issued a statement regarding the event today.
"The entire AMS Racing Team is in deep mourning over the losses and pain suffered this weekend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families during this difficult time. We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic accident, which is compounded by the fact that it occurred during a charitable event designed to raise money for disabled children. We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the individuals that were injured or perished in the accident," team spokesman William Reid said Monday.
The team was asked to attend a charity event in Selmer, Tenn. to help raise money for the Cars For Kids charity. They displayed their 1993 Corvette and 1957 Chevy - and planned to have each vehicle perform an exhibition burnout.
The statement then said the team displayed two cars for the public to view, and, after displaying the cars, the crew was instructed to line up with other cars participating in the event. After the parade was completed, Selmer Police Officers blocked off the highway for the cars to perform the burnouts. The team understood that the Selmer Police Chief, Neal Burks, was present and in charge of crowd placement and blocking off the street.
The AMS Rage team said the drivers understood that the roadway had been inspected and approved for the burnout exhibition.
According to the statement, “Before Mr. Critchley began the exhibition, two Selmer police cars traveled down the left and right of the roadway and instructed the crowd to move back. Mr. Critchley was signaled to start and he began to perform the burnout. After a straight start, the car skidded off the road. Mr. Critchley did everything humanly possible to keep the car on the road, but unfortunately, there was nothing he could do.”
Critchley was taken to the Emergency Room and treated for minor injuries. According to the team, Critchley voluntarily submitted blood for testing to the Tennessee Highway Patrol and it was confirmed that he had no alcohol or drugs in his system.
The entire crew remained in Selmer on Sunday, June 17 to cooperate and provide information to Tennessee State authorities investigating the accident.
The involved car will remain in the possession of the Tennessee Highway Patrol for examination.
The AMS Rage team said they are cooperating with the State of Tennessee and is currently investigating a number of factors that may have contributed to the accident including crowd control, safety precautions and the preparation and condition of the roadway.
Critchley will no longer race in 2007, at least in NHRA competition.
"Despite the tragedy, the Pro Mod Challenge will continue as scheduled. It is our understanding that the AMS Racing team driven by Troy Critchley has withdrawn from the remaining events this season and will not be racing," Matthew Brammer, AMS Pro Modified Challenge administrator said. "As a series, we are discussing ways we can try to help in some small way ease the pain for everyone who lost, and are hoping to announce a benefit before our next scheduled event in Englishtown."
The series competes next at Englishtown, New Jersey, June 21-24

boater72
06-18-2007, 08:27 PM
SELMER POLICE , “JUST A TRAGIC ACCIDENT - THAT’S IT” | Print |
Written by Bobby Bennett; Photos by Roger Richards
Monday, 18 June 2007
troy_critchley.jpgThe Tennessee Highway Patrol conducted a press conference today discussing more details of Saturday’s Cars for Kids tragedy which killed spectators watching an exhibition of drag racing machinery. Six bystanders, including two teenagers, were killed when a Pro Modified car driven by Troy Critchley crashed into a utility pole and bounced into a crowd of spectators. An official count listed 20 injuries.
Police Chief Neil Burkes said the event has been a safe one for the eighteen years it’s been conducted in his town.
“I have been the chief here in Selmar for ten years and it has gone on for as long as I have been here,” Burkes said. “It has been a safe event up until this year. We had a tragic accident and that’s just it. It had been a safe event up until this year.”
Last year, the Pro Modified entry driven by Doug Palmer performed a similar burnout with no incident. A video of the exhibition appeared on the Cars For Kids website.
The Tennessee Highway Patrol is conducting an extensive investigation of the event and will submit the results of its investigation to the Tennessee Attorney General for review. This is a routine procedure for incidents of this nature.
“If there are any individuals who have specific information that may be of value to this investigation and have not been interviewed, please call the Jackson district of the Tennessee Highway Patrol,” said Mike Browning, spokesman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol. “We are taking a look at all of the comprehensive factors of this accident.”
The Tennessee Highway Patrol will reconstruct the accident, and while it will take time to complete, it is of the highest priority, added Browning. He said additional resources are being brought in to interview every witness of the incident as well as victims.
The Tennessee Attorney General’s office is involved in the investigation as well.
“It was a complex matter and a complex scene with many people there,” said District Attorney General Mike Dunavant. “We are still preliminarily in this investigation. I will be reviewing the information from officers and agents to make decisions whether and what, crime may be charged as a result of this.
“We certainly want the people of Selmar and McNairy County to know we are doing everything we can to address these issues of public safety and responsibility.”
Dunavant said his department has not decided whether criminal charges will be filed. Critchley was not arrested in connection with the incident.
“No determination has been made yet and it would be irresponsible for me to make a judgement until I have all the facts,” Dunavant said. “We are still reviewing all of the details.”
Greg Henley, a witness to the accident, told CNN that he felt the tragedy nobody’s fault but just an unfortunate accident.
“I call it an unfortunate accident,” Henley said. “I knew some of the people that got hurt. It’s very unfortunate for the families and their members that got hurt.”
critchley_sat.jpgThe AMS Racing Team issued a statement regarding the event today.
"The entire AMS Racing Team is in deep mourning over the losses and pain suffered this weekend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families during this difficult time. We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic accident, which is compounded by the fact that it occurred during a charitable event designed to raise money for disabled children. We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the individuals that were injured or perished in the accident," team spokesman William Reid said Monday.
The team was asked to attend a charity event in Selmer, Tenn. to help raise money for the Cars For Kids charity. They displayed their 1993 Corvette and 1957 Chevy - and planned to have each vehicle perform an exhibition burnout.
The statement then said the team displayed two cars for the public to view, and, after displaying the cars, the crew was instructed to line up with other cars participating in the event. After the parade was completed, Selmer Police Officers blocked off the highway for the cars to perform the burnouts. The team understood that the Selmer Police Chief, Neal Burks, was present and in charge of crowd placement and blocking off the street.
The AMS Rage team said the drivers understood that the roadway had been inspected and approved for the burnout exhibition.
According to the statement, “Before Mr. Critchley began the exhibition, two Selmer police cars traveled down the left and right of the roadway and instructed the crowd to move back. Mr. Critchley was signaled to start and he began to perform the burnout. After a straight start, the car skidded off the road. Mr. Critchley did everything humanly possible to keep the car on the road, but unfortunately, there was nothing he could do.”
Critchley was taken to the Emergency Room and treated for minor injuries. According to the team, Critchley voluntarily submitted blood for testing to the Tennessee Highway Patrol and it was confirmed that he had no alcohol or drugs in his system.
The entire crew remained in Selmer on Sunday, June 17 to cooperate and provide information to Tennessee State authorities investigating the accident.
The involved car will remain in the possession of the Tennessee Highway Patrol for examination.
The AMS Rage team said they are cooperating with the State of Tennessee and is currently investigating a number of factors that may have contributed to the accident including crowd control, safety precautions and the preparation and condition of the roadway.
Critchley will no longer race in 2007, at least in NHRA competition.
"Despite the tragedy, the Pro Mod Challenge will continue as scheduled. It is our understanding that the AMS Racing team driven by Troy Critchley has withdrawn from the remaining events this season and will not be racing," Matthew Brammer, AMS Pro Modified Challenge administrator said. "As a series, we are discussing ways we can try to help in some small way ease the pain for everyone who lost, and are hoping to announce a benefit before our next scheduled event in Englishtown."
The series competes next at Englishtown, New Jersey, June 21-24