PDA

View Full Version : Karl Brooks loss of a great ski racer

catalinaskiracer
06-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Ski racing will never will never be the same,
To the friends and family of Great Britain's Karl Brooks who was tragically killed in a skiing accident on Lake Mead June 14th.
For more information or to send thoughts and condolences to the family: http://www.skirace.net/?p=206
My prayers to his family and friends!

catalinaskiracer
06-17-2007, 12:49 PM
bump

27 Awesome cat
06-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Condolences to the family...

RiverToysJas
06-17-2007, 12:54 PM
wow...very sad. Just 25yo too. Prayers to the family. :(
RTJas

Riverkid
06-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Heard about this Friday. Terrible loss. :(

Firecracker
06-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I didn't personally know Karl, but losing someone in the same sport I participate in is heartbreaking.
My condolences go out to his family and close friends.

Racey
06-17-2007, 04:37 PM
I had gotten to know Karl pretty well over the last few weeks, i was his wing-man when we got left with the skater all memorial weekend, after that i remember thinking to myself what a cool guy he was, and how he'd be one of those guys that would be a friend for life, he fit right in like he had been around for years, I can't express how terrible of a loss this is, he was the greatest guy, had a great personality, and was very humble about everything he did. I will never forget the guy, and at least i can say that he had a great life so far, especially over the last few weeks hanging out with him. He had done more in his life time than many of us would ever dream of, and he will be truly missed. My condolences go out to his family, you raised one hell of a son.
:(

Riverkid
06-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I had gotten to know Karl pretty well over the last few weeks, i was his wing-man when we got left with the skater all memorial weekend, after that i remember thinking to myself what a cool guy he was, and how he'd be one of those guys that would be a friend for life, he fit right in like he had been around for years, I can't express how terrible of a loss this is, he was the greatest guy, had a great personality, and was very humble about everything he did. I will never forget the guy, and at least i can say that he had a great life so far, especially over the last few weeks hanging out with him. He had done more in his life time than many of us would ever dream of, and he will be truly missed. My condolences go out to his family, you raised one hell of a son.
:(
Racey you are The Man. How many people came come from out of the country and get exposed to what Karl did. Very, very few. He went out doing what he loved. His family must know this. His race team must be hurting as well. God bless them all.

catalinaskiracer
06-17-2007, 08:18 PM
bump

catalinaskiracer
06-17-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't know all the facts but from what I hear he was out practicing at Mead and went down and apperently broke his neck but like I said I don't have all the details all I know is a great skier is lost! and from what I know a VERY GOOD person! That's the real loss!
Gery

Racey
06-17-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't know all the facts but from what I hear he was out practicing at Mead and went down and apperently broke his neck but like I said I don't have all the details all I know is a great skier is lost! and from what I know a VERY GOOD person! That's the real loss!
Gery
Probably what the cause of death was, I guess he went just went over the front of the ski and cartwheeled, from what i have heard they were only running 85 at the time, and it was a smooth day. just a total freak accident. everyone involved is pretty torn up over the deal, his Memorial is This coming tuesday at Palm Mortuaries in vegas. it's just still so hard to believe he's gone....

life's a river
06-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Damn Gery this realy hits home! I did not know Karl but he was a member of the small Ski racing family that always look out for each other. I'm at a loss for words. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. :(
PK

burtandnancy2
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
When I heard/read the news, I reran the '06 Catalina Ski Race where Karl was featured for much of the race as he ran in the top 3 most of the time. He went into first place outside of the breakwater only to be passed inside and sprinted to the finish just behind winner Todd Haig. At the finish, he swam over and hugged Todd in the water. Great show of sportsmanship. I understand he was really one of the good guys. He'll be missed by the sport and well as his friends...

HowardFlat
06-18-2007, 04:46 PM
RIP Karl. You are a good friend and a great person. Have a good time skiing that always smooth water in the sky.

Racey
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Just got home from Karl's Memorial, it was a really nice deal everyone put together. Got pretty tough at some points watching the slide show of all his pictures. I met his parents and step father and talked with them for a while, super nice people, it's no wonder Karl turned out the way he did, it was amazing how many people were there, the guy touched so many lives, even the girls that worked at the coffee shop below his loft. Karl we will never forget you, and live our lives the way you would have. You may be gone from this world but your memories will forever live in the hearts and minds of the people you have touched.

HowardFlat
06-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Racey said it all. RIP Karl.

Racey
06-20-2007, 06:39 PM
I just got these in an email today from a buddy who came out with us on mead memorial day, Karl taking a sunday morning ski ride behind the 46' Skater. Running a measley 65-70. Pretty cool pictures. :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33506&stc=1&d=1182393505
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33507&stc=1&d=1182393516