PDA

View Full Version : Exhibition Dragster Wreck

Liberator TJ1984
06-18-2007, 07:40 AM
In Tennessee.....
What was that dude thinking ????
Making a pass on a street in town lined with people and No Gaurd rails !!!
6 dead so far :mad:
http://www.ksat.com/news/13518717/detail.html
Ps sorry for the re-post

Lightning
06-18-2007, 07:45 AM
I was listening to this on the news on the way to work.....just another example of piss poor planning. What are people thinking?
"Let's hold a charity drag racing event....on a closed section of freeway. We can have a few hundred observers and have them line the course. The best part is we won't even need any guard rails, crash barely ever happen, so we should be ok."
"Sounds good to me Billy Bob, i'll go print some flyers."

AZJD
06-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Very sad!:(

wsuwrhr
06-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Caribbean Jet
06-18-2007, 07:58 AM
I can't believe that this was allowed. Prayers to all of the families involved. I'm speechless on the stupidity of these promoters... :mad:

Wet Dream
06-18-2007, 08:04 AM
In Tennessee.....
What was that dude thinking ????
Making a pass on a street in town lined with people and No Gaurd rails !!!
6 dead so far :mad:
http://www.ksat.com/news/13518717/detail.html
Ps sorry for the re-post
Did you not read the story? :rolleyes: It was a burn out, not a "pass". Read up dude. And further into the story, it states "There should have been guard rails," Staples said. "But even if there had been, it wouldn't have mattered." Something tragic happened, but it wasn't illegal and there might not be charges filed for a mishap thats been doing "demonstrations" for 17 years. Those people knew what they were there for. There may be wrongful death lawsuits.

Caljamr
06-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Did you not read the story? :rolleyes: It was a burn out, not a "pass". Read up dude. And further into the story, it states "There should have been guard rails," Staples said. "But even if there had been, it wouldn't have mattered." Something tragic happened, but it wasn't illegal and there might not be charges filed for a mishap thats been doing "demonstrations" for 17 years. Those people knew what they were there for. There may be wrongful death lawsuits.
Look how fast that guy was going. That's close enough to a pass for me. Just because he's been endangering people for 17 years with "demonstrations" it doesn't make it right. This falls right in line with the street racers that lose control into the crowds. This racer could of done a burnout and not run it out. Poor judgement on alot peoples part.

Liberator TJ1984
06-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks Caljamr ,
Thats the way I see it as A PASS. he was moving forwared fast enought to hurt someone obviously :rolleyes:
Even during and exhibition Burnout safety precautions should have been taken, How many times have we seen a tire explode or wheel studs snap sending a wheel down track during a burnout, just poorly planned .
And I do feel the guy had a good cause goin' and raised lots of money and good things for the kids. Its a shame if it gets shut down over something like this though.

Wet Dream
06-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Look how fast that guy was going. That's close enough to a pass for me. Just because he's been endangering people for 17 years with "demonstrations" it doesn't make it right. This falls right in line with the street racers that lose control into the crowds. This racer could of done a burnout and not run it out. Poor judgement on alot peoples part.
How fast was it? Are you guessing? Everybody wants to hang the guy after the fact due to an unfortunate accident. You want the guy charged? For a malicious act? Murder? Homicide? Reckless endangerment? The guy almost lost his kid, now he kills 5 people, how do you think he feels?

Wet Dream
06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks Caljamr ,
Thats the way I see it as A PASS. he was moving forwared fast enought to hurt someone obviously :rolleyes:
5 mph is fast enough to kill, although the odds are lessened. Where is your point?

73kona455
06-18-2007, 08:49 AM
it was a Pro Mod car.....and it was very stupid to make a pass like that on a public street...
the video of the pass
http://www.breitbart.tv/html/1794.html
http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/Car_Show_Deaths.sff_TNSEL106_20070616220451.jpg

73kona455
06-18-2007, 08:53 AM
How fast was it? Are you guessing? Everybody wants to hang the guy after the fact due to an unfortunate accident. You want the guy charged? For a malicious act? Murder? Homicide? Reckless endangerment? The guy almost lost his kid, now he kills 5 people, how do you think he feels?
how did the driver almost lose his kid? the driver of the race car killed 6 people..he was very irresponsible in the way he acted... there is a thing called common sense that would tell a responsible person that a high speed pass down a public street in a full blown race car is not a good idea..

Wet Dream
06-18-2007, 09:04 AM
My mistake. I was under the impression that the driver and the founder were the same people. Ok, so what were all those people lined up on the street for?

73kona455
06-18-2007, 09:11 AM
My mistake. I was under the impression that the driver and the founder were the same people. Ok, so what were all those people lined up on the street for?
it was supposed to be a parade of cars they had cars from model T's all the way up to dragsters in the parade.. that car will make a 1/4 mile pass in 6 sec at well over 200 mph....
was really a bone headed move to try and run something like that on a crowned public street....

rrrr
06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Do I hear the guy hitting another gear in the video? That was no burnout.

Caljamr
06-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Did I say hang the guy? NO i didn't. There's more at fault than this guy. I'm sure there where plenty of people at the meeting of the day's events and in that meeting they talked about where this Burnout/low speed pass will take place and i'm sure safety of the public came up. So i'm not saying hang the driver but safety measures need to be in place. The faster the vehicle will go, further back the audience needs to be.

vdriver4ever
06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
In the 80's I believe it was Jim Dunn was doing an exhibition burn out back down the staging lane at our local track, Firebird Raceway here in Idaho. I think his throttle stuck and he went into a viewing area. I know one girl was hurt bad and a few others made the trip to the hospital.
I guess the bottom line is there is there is a reason these cars run in a protected enviroment and should be kept that way. Too many things can go wrong. I feel very sorry for the victims and the driver in both of these situations.

ratso
06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
In the 80's I believe it was Jim Dunn was doing an exhibition burn out back down the staging lane at our local track, Firebird Raceway here in Idaho. I think his throttle stuck and he went into a viewing area. I know one girl was hurt bad and a few others made the trip to the hospital.
I guess the bottom line is there is there is a reason these cars run in a protected enviroment and should be kept that way. Too many things can go wrong. I feel very sorry for the victims and the driver in both of these situations.
Is that a boat you are re-doing in your avatar?

mdunn01
06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Thats much to fast for a burnout, total pass laying on the gas to smoke the tires longer.

boater72
06-18-2007, 02:07 PM
The girl died. :(

boater72
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
SELMER POLICE , “JUST A TRAGIC ACCIDENT - THAT’S IT” | Print |
Written by Bobby Bennett; Photos by Roger Richards
Monday, 18 June 2007
troy_critchley.jpgThe Tennessee Highway Patrol conducted a press conference today discussing more details of Saturday’s Cars for Kids tragedy which killed spectators watching an exhibition of drag racing machinery. Six bystanders, including two teenagers, were killed when a Pro Modified car driven by Troy Critchley crashed into a utility pole and bounced into a crowd of spectators. An official count listed 20 injuries.
Police Chief Neil Burkes said the event has been a safe one for the eighteen years it’s been conducted in his town.
“I have been the chief here in Selmar for ten years and it has gone on for as long as I have been here,” Burkes said. “It has been a safe event up until this year. We had a tragic accident and that’s just it. It had been a safe event up until this year.”
Last year, the Pro Modified entry driven by Doug Palmer performed a similar burnout with no incident. A video of the exhibition appeared on the Cars For Kids website.
The Tennessee Highway Patrol is conducting an extensive investigation of the event and will submit the results of its investigation to the Tennessee Attorney General for review. This is a routine procedure for incidents of this nature.
“If there are any individuals who have specific information that may be of value to this investigation and have not been interviewed, please call the Jackson district of the Tennessee Highway Patrol,” said Mike Browning, spokesman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol. “We are taking a look at all of the comprehensive factors of this accident.”
The Tennessee Highway Patrol will reconstruct the accident, and while it will take time to complete, it is of the highest priority, added Browning. He said additional resources are being brought in to interview every witness of the incident as well as victims.
The Tennessee Attorney General’s office is involved in the investigation as well.
“It was a complex matter and a complex scene with many people there,” said District Attorney General Mike Dunavant. “We are still preliminarily in this investigation. I will be reviewing the information from officers and agents to make decisions whether and what, crime may be charged as a result of this.
“We certainly want the people of Selmar and McNairy County to know we are doing everything we can to address these issues of public safety and responsibility.”
Dunavant said his department has not decided whether criminal charges will be filed. Critchley was not arrested in connection with the incident.
“No determination has been made yet and it would be irresponsible for me to make a judgement until I have all the facts,” Dunavant said. “We are still reviewing all of the details.”
Greg Henley, a witness to the accident, told CNN that he felt the tragedy nobody’s fault but just an unfortunate accident.
“I call it an unfortunate accident,” Henley said. “I knew some of the people that got hurt. It’s very unfortunate for the families and their members that got hurt.”
critchley_sat.jpgThe AMS Racing Team issued a statement regarding the event today.
"The entire AMS Racing Team is in deep mourning over the losses and pain suffered this weekend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families during this difficult time. We are shocked and deeply saddened by this tragic accident, which is compounded by the fact that it occurred during a charitable event designed to raise money for disabled children. We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the individuals that were injured or perished in the accident," team spokesman William Reid said Monday.
The team was asked to attend a charity event in Selmer, Tenn. to help raise money for the Cars For Kids charity. They displayed their 1993 Corvette and 1957 Chevy - and planned to have each vehicle perform an exhibition burnout.
The statement then said the team displayed two cars for the public to view, and, after displaying the cars, the crew was instructed to line up with other cars participating in the event. After the parade was completed, Selmer Police Officers blocked off the highway for the cars to perform the burnouts. The team understood that the Selmer Police Chief, Neal Burks, was present and in charge of crowd placement and blocking off the street.
The AMS Rage team said the drivers understood that the roadway had been inspected and approved for the burnout exhibition.
According to the statement, “Before Mr. Critchley began the exhibition, two Selmer police cars traveled down the left and right of the roadway and instructed the crowd to move back. Mr. Critchley was signaled to start and he began to perform the burnout. After a straight start, the car skidded off the road. Mr. Critchley did everything humanly possible to keep the car on the road, but unfortunately, there was nothing he could do.”
Critchley was taken to the Emergency Room and treated for minor injuries. According to the team, Critchley voluntarily submitted blood for testing to the Tennessee Highway Patrol and it was confirmed that he had no alcohol or drugs in his system.
The entire crew remained in Selmer on Sunday, June 17 to cooperate and provide information to Tennessee State authorities investigating the accident.
The involved car will remain in the possession of the Tennessee Highway Patrol for examination.
The AMS Rage team said they are cooperating with the State of Tennessee and is currently investigating a number of factors that may have contributed to the accident including crowd control, safety precautions and the preparation and condition of the roadway.
Critchley will no longer race in 2007, at least in NHRA competition.
"Despite the tragedy, the Pro Mod Challenge will continue as scheduled. It is our understanding that the AMS Racing team driven by Troy Critchley has withdrawn from the remaining events this season and will not be racing," Matthew Brammer, AMS Pro Modified Challenge administrator said. "As a series, we are discussing ways we can try to help in some small way ease the pain for everyone who lost, and are hoping to announce a benefit before our next scheduled event in Englishtown."
The series competes next at Englishtown, New Jersey, June 21-24

RitcheyRch
06-20-2007, 02:22 PM
http://cbs2.com/national/topstories_story_171152408.html
Texas Drag Racer In Deadly Crash Had Record
(CBS) MEMPHIS, Tenn. An Australian drag-racer whose car crashed into a crowd of spectators during a charity car show parade, killing six young people, was convicted of drunken driving in Virginia in 2000, court records show.
Troy Warren Critchley pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated in April 2000, according to court records from Loudoun County, Va. He lost his driver's license for a year and paid $381 in fines and court costs, the record shows.
Critchley lost control of the dragster Saturday during a "burnout exhibition" at a Cars for Kids parade in Selmer, a small town about 80 miles east of Memphis.
The burnout -- spinning a cars wheels to send up clouds of smoke -- was staged on a city street with no protective barriers between the dragster and hundreds of spectators lining both sides of the road.
Six spectators, ages 15 to 22, were killed and at least 23 other people were injured, many seriously.
Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash and no criminal charges have been filed. District Attorney General Mike Dunavant said Critchley gave a blood sample which is being tested for drugs and alcohol.
"That's still pending at the (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) crime lab," Dunavant said.
No one answered the door Tuesday at Critchley's Rockwall and a neighbor told The Associated Press he had not seen Critchley since the accident. Critchley's racing team is based in Wylie, just a few miles from Rockwall.
Critchley's whereabouts Tuesday were not immediately known, and he has not made any public statements since the crash. Repeated phone messages to a spokesman for his racing team have not been returned.
His father, Warren Critchley, who lives in Brisbane, Australia, said Wednesday he had not spoken to his son since the incident. He said Critchley had sent text messages to his sister, who also lives in Brisbane.
"He's texted his sister a couple of times, and he's fine, and just wants a bit of time to get around everything," Critchley said.
Warren Critchley said he was unaware his son had previously been convicted of drunken driving, but said he took his racing very seriously.
"I don't think he would drink and drive, not like that anyway," Warren Critchley said. "If he's been caught before, I don't know about that, but I don't think he'd do it at the racing, he just respects it too much."
Dunavant said he would present the results of the crash investigation to a grand jury if he decides criminal charges are warranted. The next grand jury in McNairy County meets in October.
If criminal charges are sought, "it doesn't mean that I'm only focused on the driver," Dunavant said.
"It could involve other persons who might be criminally responsible for the behavior ... that caused the deaths of six people," he said.
Relatives of victims and other critics of the burnout exhibition have questioned why such a display was allowed on a public street.
Amateur video of the crash shows the car's engine revving loudly before the vehicle sped down the highway. After a few hundred feet, the smoking car skidded off the road and into the crowd.
The Cars for Kids festival, a highlight of the year in rural McNairy County, has been held for 18 years in Selmer. Similar events are staged around the country by the nonprofit group to raise money for children's' hospitals and other such charities.

maxwedge
06-20-2007, 02:43 PM
A couple of things stand out in my mind here...
I'm amazed that it only costs $381 in fines and court costs when you get a DWI in VA....although I also think the fact that he got a DWI 7 years ago doesn't really have shit to do with anything.