PDA

View Full Version : Q for the LEO

YeLLowBoaT
06-18-2007, 10:38 AM
lets just say your ex wife got in a lot of trouble and you being an officer from another agency you got a hold of the police report form a relative... Would that be grounds for termanation for both you and the relative?

SurfOnH20
06-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Most police reports can be obtained by the public (anyone). Your question seems to be a bit vague...What kind of report are we talking about..?

Baja Big Dog
06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Most police reports can be obtained by the public (anyone). Your question seems to be a bit vague...What kind of report are we talking about..?
Yea...give us the names, someone here can get the public records!!
What is the real story? If the ex is involved it could get fun!!!:D

Boatcop
06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
lets just say your ex wife got in a lot of trouble and you being an officer from another agency you got a hold of the police report form a relative... Would that be grounds for termanation for both you and the relative?
It depends.
Police records (reports) are public records. They may get disciplined for not using proper avenues to obtain the report, but I don't think it's a firing offense.
Unless they are confidential records, or for official use only. In that case release of confidential information might be grounds for termination.

Kilrtoy
06-18-2007, 01:08 PM
I sure hope no one in L.E. would even answer you after all the crap you talk about them....

CBadDad
06-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I went to get a police report during my divorce over an incident that had happened a year earlier to show I wasn't "abusive". She had called the police because she felt "threatened", but nothing happened and they told her to pack her trash and find some place else to stay (it was our only incident involving PD in fifteen years of marraige. Anyways, when I went to get the report they said I couldn't have it, because it was still "under investigation". Had to subpena (sp) it through famaily court.

MudPumper
06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Sounds like Yellow wants somebody fired, like always.

H20Advantage
06-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Like Boat Cop said it would be more of an Adminstrative issue and department policy issue.
Just as long as nobody lies about how they obtained it then they would forever become a Brady Officer and no good in court anymore.

HM
06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Is this something a well written complaint letter could handle?

HavaSkank
06-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Not all information on criminal reports are available to the public. A Watch Commander decides what gets inked out prior to releasing the information (such as witness details) If it's an on-going investigation you wont get dick, and if you HAVE DICK, and use the information, simple follow-up will reveal the leak.