PDA

View Full Version : need some hull/ cap advice please

cricket
06-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Well ive finally gotten around to the oll boat project ive been putting off. Its a 73 wridt hule, new crate 454, berkely jet. So im pulling out the 455 thats in there and niticed the engine rails where a little smashed, what should i do with them? The paint is so so, i would like to do the leg work myself, done some car painting. I have a couple off deep scratches in the current paint that reveal a red sparkle under it. i would like to remove the metail rub rails on the boat currently. i was wondering can i sand off the old paint, and if i glass over the edges do i need to go down to the original fiberglass, and I was wondering if someone could tell me if i need to go to the existing gell coat or can i use some kind of paint that goes on top of the gelcoat? thanks i know theres alot of ?s butt before i go and do some damage id figured i ask. thanks again shane

cricket
06-20-2007, 07:03 PM
any help?

Steve 1
06-20-2007, 07:30 PM
"was wondering can i sand off the old paint, and if i glass over the edges do i need to go down to the original fiberglass"
Sounds like you are trying to mold the cap and the hull for a rub-rail free clean look?
Yes go to the glass if you want it to stay on.
The engine bearers are crushed??

bikerboater
06-22-2007, 03:10 AM
There's another good thread here someplace on capping a boat which is what you refer to. Sounds like you may have some rot in the stringers if I understand correctly. I learned in tech school many years ago that the process for painting fiberglass is much the same as metal with the exception of the need to chemicaly etch the metal. I assume you will be painting the whole boat.

cricket
06-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Yah i am going for the clean look. Ok I guess ill take it all the way down then. Im not I understand what a gelcoat is, can someone explain it to me and maybe a little of whats involed as far as redoing it. I guess ill try the da on the boat down to the fiberglass. On the engine stringers. Are they pieces off wood w/ fiberglass over them? or just all fiberglass? Thanks again shane.

bikerboater
06-23-2007, 05:18 AM
The gelcoat is a layer of polyester resin that is colored or can be clear with flake in it. From the factory, it is the first thing to go into the mold. It is fairly thick in comparison to paint on a car. You don't want to remove it or sand through it since this will expose the glass cloth/mat beneath. Just like doing a Corvette. They also have a layer of resin on the outer surface to cover the mat reinforcement but it isn't colored.
Yes, the stringers are wood with glass over them. Not uncomon to find the wood rotted on old boats.

jrork
06-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Just finished capping my boat. Definately a ton of work to do it right and NOT for the faint of heart. Here's a link to another board that this was all posted on.
There's alot of other chatter on this subject but you'll get the drift as to what it took to do mine.
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/cas/vpost?id=1743036&trail=15
I'd be glad to help talk you through what I did if you're still interested. John

BIGAMIST
06-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Just finished capping my boat. Definately a ton of work to do it right and NOT for the faint of heart. Here's a link to another board that this was all posted on.
There's alot of other chatter on this subject but you'll get the drift as to what it took to do mine.
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/cas/vpost?id=1743036&trail=15
I'd be glad to help talk you through what I did if you're still interested. John
Very cool thread ;)

jrork
06-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks Big, Like I said, a bit chatty but still some good information in there. Need to post up some new pictures

cricket
06-30-2007, 10:34 AM
wow thanks, thats what i was looking for. So for fixing the dings and the rail you use the epoxy stuff you mentioned right on top of the gelcoat, or where you laid the glass you sanded to glass? Thanks for all your answers. Just dont have a good boat shop with any specific answers.

jrork
07-03-2007, 05:09 AM
wow thanks, thats what i was looking for. So for fixing the dings and the rail you use the epoxy stuff you mentioned right on top of the gelcoat, or where you laid the glass you sanded to glass? Thanks for all your answers. Just dont have a good boat shop with any specific answers.
Not exactly sure what you're asking but for the cap job, I ground deep into the glas and feathered it quite a ways back. Matter of fact, at one spot of the seam I ground all the way through. Everybody said that if you dont grind it back and in, the seam will crack later.
For areas on the deck where I was patching light holes and exhaust holes, I feathered it way back as well so the epoxy would bite into the original fiberglass.
Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions......John