PDA

View Full Version : Havasu gets sued for drowning ?

havasu522
06-20-2007, 06:59 AM
I just read in the paper that Lake Havasu City is being sued for the 10 year old that drowned last summer . Because of carbon monoxide poison . And that the city did not give enough warning about the danger . I think that the loss of a child is the absolute worst thing that could happen and my thoughts and prays go out to the parents but to bring a law suit against the city for not enough warning . Just seems crazy . Maybe they need to make there signs even bigger and have a topless girl pointing at the warning . Oh and who was the one looking after the kid . Who's taking charge of that the city clean-up crew? Just very sad all the way around

uLtRADeNniS
06-20-2007, 03:11 PM
I just read in the paper that Lake Havasu City is being sued for the 10 year old that drowned last summer . Because of carbon monoxide poison . And that the city did not give enough warning about the danger . I think that the loss of a child is the absolute worst thing that could happen and my thoughts and prays go out to the parents but to bring a law suit against the city for not enough warning . Just seems crazy . Maybe they need to make there signs even bigger and have a topless girl pointing at the warning . Oh and who was the one looking after the kid . Who's taking charge of that the city clean-up crew? Just very sad all the way around
That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard. People will sue for anything. I am very sad to hear of their loss but get real. Its the parents fault for not keeping close enough eye on their kid. Maybe the young girl should have had a life jacket on if she was only 10 years old. If it was my 10 year old daughter, you bet you ass she would be wearing one unless she was in my very close supervision. I know accidents happen, but they can be prevented.
Seems to me that the family is in a rough spot right now after paying for the expenses of their child's death, and feel someone else should be liable... Thats what insurance polices are for, funny that people will spend all this money on boats, trucks and river trips but invest no money into themselves and their family. :rolleyes: :idea:
People will ensure a cell phone or a DVD player but not their lives. ..that gets to me.
Like I said, I am very sorry to hear of their loss and wish that family comfort in their time of suffer. I do however hope they loose this case.
just my .02

Glamasu
06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard. People will sue for anything. I am very sad to hear of their loss but get real. Its the parents fault for not keeping close enough eye on their kid. Maybe the young girl should have had a life jacket on if she was only 10 years old. If it was my 10 year old daughter, you bet you ass she would be wearing one unless she was in my very close supervision. I know accidents happen, but they can be prevented.
Like I said, I am very sorry to hear of their loss and wish that family comfort in their time of suffer. I do however hope they loose this case.
just my .02
I agree ......You gotta hold yourself responsible at some point and stop blaming others for what was tragic but "avoidable"

nodigg
06-20-2007, 03:22 PM
So sad to hear of any one losing a child! My condolences.
Now to the point.
I saw the headline in the paper this morning. What a bunch of BULLSHITE! Grieve for your loss and take responsibility as a parent for allowing this to happen to your child. Stop trying to blame someone else to lessen your guilt. This has NOTHING to do with government! :sqeyes:

Phat Matt
06-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Family of drowning victim sues city
By DAVID BELL
Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:17 PM MST
The family of a 10-year-old boy who drowned in the Bridgewater Channel last summer has filed suit against Lake Havasu City.
In a June 12 filing in U.S. District Court for Arizona, Louis Patin and Erica Honore claim the city failed to take the proper steps to warn tourists in the Bridgewater Channel of the dangers of carbon monoxide. The result, the filing said, was the negligent death of their child, Austin Tyler Patin.
In a notice of claim received by the city on Dec. 13, 2006, Louis Patin and Honore said they would accept $2 million as full and final settlement. The city did not respond to the notice of claim.
Austin Patin was reported missing shortly after 3 p.m., June 17, 2006. He was last seen in the water near his family's boat, beached on the south Channel's mainland side, near the Thompson Bay inlet.
Police officers, assisted by members of the Community Emergency Response Team, began to search the surrounding area while two officers donned scuba tanks and began a methodical underwater search of the Channel bed.
The body was recovered in about 10 feet of water, about 20 feet from shore, at about 5:45 p.m.
Personnel testing the area for carbon monoxide that day told Today's News-Herald that conditions were “OK” just before the call for the missing child.
The suit said the city encouraged tourist use of the Channel even after knowing there was a severe health hazard from high levels of carbon monoxide.
The notice of claim said a toxicology report showed a 19 percent carboxhemoglobin level in Austin Patin's blood at the time of his death. His parents said carbon monoxide poisoning contributed to the boy's drowning.
The Mohave County Medical Examiner's office refused Tuesday to release the autopsy results showing cause of death, even after a recent opinion by the county Attorney's office that autopsy results are public record.
On Dec. 19, 2006, Special Deputy County Attorney Bill Ekstrom told the Board of Supervisors the reports could not be withheld by the medical examiner. Ekstrom could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
Calls to Lake Havasu City Attorney Paul Lenkowsky and Mark Jewett, attorney for Louis Patin and Honore, were not returned.
Two other civil cases have been brought against the city over deaths involving carbon monoxide, with the city prevailing in both instances.
On Dec. 7, 2006, a U.S. District Court jury unanimously ruled that the city was not liable in the Sept. 1, 2003, death of Eugene Heck, 26, of Fontana, Calif. The jury also ruled that carbon monoxide was not the cause of death.
On May 25, Mohave County Superior Court Judge James Chavez granted the city's motion for summary judgment to dismiss the case brought by the family of Mark Tostado, 31, of Huntington Beach, Calif.
Chavez said a combination of alcohol and carbon monoxide likely killed Tostado on May 25, 2003, but Lake Havasu City was immune from guilt because of “legislative immunity.”
Reporter Mike Hays contributed to this story. You may contact David Bell at dbell@havasunews.com.

RiverToysJas
06-20-2007, 04:53 PM
So sad to hear of any one losing a child! My condolences.
Now to the point.
.........What a bunch of BULLSHITE! Grieve for your loss and take responsibility as a parent for allowing this to happen to your child. Stop trying to blame someone else to lessen your guilt. This has NOTHING to do with government! :sqeyes:
Yeah, what Rick said!
RTJas :sqeyes:

HavaSkank
06-21-2007, 09:14 AM
How sad to think that child's life had a assessed monitary value. So is 2 million suppose make the death easier to deal with? Will it take away the pain??
Does this mean this couple now gets to buy a bigger boat, only to return to Havasu to mourn?
The price tag makes me F'ing naucious. The life of MY child cant be assessed with a dollar amount. If they think it will shake the City and bring awareness and prevent possible reoccurrances they are sadly misinformed. The issue of carbon monoxide is alive and well in Lake Havasu. The issue of parents not watching their kids in the water AT ALL TIMES is the reality of this tragedy.

Big Warlock
06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Welcome to America!!