PDA

View Full Version : Question about lawsuit?

selfmade
06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
I have to sue someone for roughly $12,000. I know this is not small claims court, so who do I go to. The business i have the dispute with is in L.A. County. Thanks for the help guys.

YeLLowBoaT
06-21-2007, 12:25 PM
http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/

Baja Big Dog
06-21-2007, 12:37 PM
I have to sue someone for roughly $12,000. I know this is not small claims court, so who do I go to. The business i have the dispute with is in L.A. County. Thanks for the help guys.
Get shot with a rubber bullet in the park on May day???

uvindex
06-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I have to sue someone for roughly $12,000. I know this is not small claims court, so who do I go to. The business i have the dispute with is in L.A. County. Thanks for the help guys.You need an attorney who practices in LA County who specializes in business civil suits. I don't have a referral, but I believe that's what you're looking for. If you have any attorney (family, divorce, whatever) ask them for a referral. Otherwise I think you can try the ABA (http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm) for referrals. Good luck! :)

zudnic
06-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Office Depot or sim biz store most times have a book series called self counsel that are helpful. Courts are getting sticky on filings etc and if you miss a T and dont dot an eye the suit could get tossed fairly easily. Consider an attorney.

selfmade
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Get shot with a rubber bullet in the park on May day???
I wish it was that easy LOL. I built a custom motorcycle and now I need to register it and you need MSO's for the frame,tranny and motor to complete the process. Now my builder will not return any phone calls so I am stuck with a $50,000 dollar pile of shit until I can register it. So i am going to sue him for the replacement parts with MSO's or better yet just give me the original MSO's and I will be on my way.

Big Warlock
06-21-2007, 01:01 PM
I suggest an attorney. I know it can be dificult to swallow. But maybe you can get your attorney fees back? At a minimum, consult with one. They can give you an opinion that will let you know whether you have a case or not. Save you time and money.

uvindex
06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I wish it was that easy LOL. I built a custom motorcycle and now I need to register it and you need MSO's for the frame,tranny and motor to complete the process. Now my builder will not return any phone calls so I am stuck with a $50,000 dollar pile of shit until I can register it. So i am going to sue him for the replacement parts with MSO's or better yet just give me the original MSO's and I will be on my way.Did you build it or did your builder build it? (Kind of confusing.) Did he provide the tranny, frame, etc? Did he say (or write) that he would provide MSOs? Did you have a contract? Is he a real business or just some guy? :) A lawyer is gonna ask these questions.
You say he won't return phone calls. Way before suing or hiring a lawyer you should take action IN WRITING (certified mail is better; document everything). How about just asking for a refund? (Hearing that you're out for a refund might make him cough up the MSOs, assuming that's something he can do.) Threatening to sue (again, in writing) is another tactic. Good luck!

selfmade
06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Did you build it or did your builder build it? (Kind of confusing.) Did he provide the tranny, frame, etc? Did he say (or write) that he would provide MSOs? Did you have a contract? Is he a real business or just some guy? :) A lawyer is gonna ask these questions.
You say he won't return phone calls. Way before suing or hiring a lawyer you should take action IN WRITING (certified mail is better; document everything). How about just asking for a refund? (Hearing that you're out for a refund might make him cough up the MSOs, assuming that's something he can do.) Threatening to sue (again, in writing) is another tactic. Good luck!
He started the bike and yes he provided the tranny motor and frame. After about a year or so he realized he was in over his head and decide he could not finish the bike because it was too complicated. I then took the bike to another place to have it finished. I paid him what was owed to him and he released everything i paid for. Now this being my first bike I had no idea what an MSO was until it was time to register it, or i would have requested them a long time ago. Once again he said he didn't want to finish the bike i did NOT take it from him. Even after the fact i gave him one more opportunity to finish and he said he was bored with the project.

HokeySon
06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
hmmm.... still not very clear ... you got some good advice in writing a letter and threatening to sue. you may also want to look into BAR if he is a legit shop. You should do whatever you can, legally of course, to do this yourself. A lawyer is going to cost you quite a bit of money and the process will not be that quick.
You can pm mail me if you want to talk -- I am a lawyer -- I can write you a letter pretty cheaply -- but for anything more than that I am going to be too expensive (even with the HB discount!).

2forcefull
06-21-2007, 02:41 PM
do you have reciepts from his shop???

uvindex
06-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Another thing: If he can't provide MSOs then the implication is that he sold you stolen goods. When you're drafting your letter demanding the MSOs, be sure to mention that you're going to get law enforcement involved, since his not being able to provide MSOs leads you to believe that he sold you stolen property. :)

al cole'holic
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
...the place that finished the bike, are they a manufacturer??

C-2
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
I can also draft a letter in advance of or in conjunction with Hokey Son...turn the heat up on the MSO issue/stolen parts inquiry, as RBILHC suggested (those were my initial thoughts too). Or even act as a third party to contact them.
Check PM's for my contact info if you would like to chat. Yiou donated to the poker run charity, correct? If so, I owe you one. :)

selfmade
06-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Thanks to everyone who has stepped up with info. Ironically he called me today after I left a message and mentioned a lawsuit. It got pretty heated,, but he said he would get me the necessary paperwork in a week. I will keep you all posted.