PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question for a NG BBQ

Community
06-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Is there a flexible line, vs galvanized with elbows etc I can use that I can bury to run NG to my new built-in BBQ? I am trying to weekend warrior the deal rather than call a plumber to run.

jayd_jr
06-22-2007, 08:00 AM
FIrst a few questions?
1. What city do you live in?
2. You cannot used galv. or Black pipe in the ground.
3. You either need fletcher coat pipe and wrap the fittings or use pe2406(plumber must install)

burtandnancy2
06-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Even though your gas line operates at less than a few oz of pressure, there is some kind of requirement that you use galvanized pipe for the run (may be due to corrosivity). Gas leaks outdoors aren't all that dangerous, but never mess with it in any enclosure...

jayd_jr
06-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Even though your gas line operates at less than a few oz of pressure, there is some kind of requirement that you use galvanized pipe for the run (may be due to corrosivity). Gas leaks outdoors aren't all that dangerous, but never mess with it in any enclosure...
Wrong.... There is no requirement for the use of galvanized in the ground. If anything some cities do not allow any metallic in the ground for siezmic (sp).

Mandelon
06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
There is a flexible yellow pvc that is legal for UG use, around here anyway. You do have to buy specialty fittings that go from the pvc to coated steel. The fittings are expensive and pretty much negate the savings of using the pvc.
The pvc needs to be wrapped with a metal wire so it can be detected with a detection device. It has to be buried 24" down deep as well.
Galvy is for exposed pipe used outside, black is for interior use, and the puke green epoxy coated is for buried pipe.

Community
06-22-2007, 08:05 AM
I live in Glendale, CA. Just put an addition on and the plumber used a yellow flexible line under the house as its a raised foundation. he was suppose to find out if I can bury it in the ground for the BBQ but his rep never got back to him.

burtandnancy2
06-22-2007, 08:07 AM
jr is right now that I think about it, NOT galvanized...

jayd_jr
06-22-2007, 08:08 AM
I live in Glendale, CA. Just put an addition on and the plumber used a yellow flexible line under the house as its a raised foundation. he was suppose to find out if I can bury it in the ground for the BBQ but his rep never got back to him.
Ok he used what they call CSST corrugated Stainless Steal Pipe. NO you cannot burry it. THey make a sleeve for that type of piping you could use but its expensive. You need to use pe 2406 and Permasert fitiings(like chinese handcuffs) Plus by to meter risers( transitions from palstic to Metal.

jayd_jr
06-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Community, check your PMs and call me I left my work number for you...

Community
06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Sent you a PM back. I will call you later. Thanks everyone for the info.

Community
07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
For my birthday, the plumber on my remodel came by and hooked it up for me....been eating chicken and steak almost everyday - we put in a JennAir BBQ and it cooks great - got it at Lowes if anybody is looking for one.
Not sure - but is Propane hotter burning than NG? It seems to cook great without burning and it may be the flame baffles that keeps the flame going. My old POS BBQ always seemed to be on fire when I cooked.

Mandelon
07-08-2007, 01:31 PM
I do believe propane burns hotter.

jayd_jr
07-09-2007, 07:39 AM
For my birthday, the plumber on my remodel came by and hooked it up for me....been eating chicken and steak almost everyday - we put in a JennAir BBQ and it cooks great - got it at Lowes if anybody is looking for one.
Not sure - but is Propane hotter burning than NG? It seems to cook great without burning and it may be the flame baffles that keeps the flame going. My old POS BBQ always seemed to be on fire when I cooked.
Who did the work? Did you run the gas?

Community
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
The plumber who did my addition. He is a local guy up here. I almost had the trench ready and he showed up on my birthday and knocked it out. It works great. Just a few finishing touches on the backside of the grill/counter. I basically increased the height of an existing seat wall. Since it was solid concrete, all plumbing is external on the backside and can be seen when in the yard.

centerhill condor
07-09-2007, 10:39 AM
we always used soft copper but that was 30 years ago in Texas! woo hoo.
steak and chicken, I'm on the way.

charlyox
07-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I am getting ready to build a BBQ island at my river house. Thanks for all the info guy's. I also got a jenaire NG from Lowe's and can't wait to use it.