PDA

View Full Version : New business question

Phat Matt
06-28-2007, 07:28 PM
If you had 2 million in liquid cash what business would you open?
The only factor is you have 3 partners that aren't afraid to put in the work for something that will be successful. Of course that also means profits would be split 3 ways.
What would you do?

Jordy
06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
You know what I'd do??? Two chicks at the same time. :D :D
http://myspace.drewpydraws.com/random/two-chicks.jpg

pw_Tony
06-28-2007, 07:32 PM
I always thought Powder Coating was very cheap to run and not much hassle.
Labor=cheap
Powder=last forever
Electricity=kinda spendy
I've know 3 different owners of a shop in San Diego now and each of them have been way to successful and making money.

blown dough
06-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Auto body collsion shop, that is a necessity when your car is wrecked not an option or extra expense.

Tom Brown
06-28-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd open a bar next to RiverDave's house.

drtywhat
06-28-2007, 07:35 PM
blown dough is that what you guys do for a living? auto body shop?

blown dough
06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
blown dough is that what you guys do for a living? auto body shop?
Yep, just built a brand new 25000sf shop that we move into in two weeks.

Concept1
06-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Auto glass company! Thats always a big payoff if you can get in with some insurance agencies and wont take anywhere near that amount to start.

al cole'holic
06-28-2007, 07:39 PM
...I would call myself and start picking up auction properties :D

Phat Matt
06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd open a bar next to RiverDave's house.
Who would buy drinks when you can get free ones at Dave's? :D
The bar business is something the 3 partners know a lot about. They would rather go a different direction though.

blown dough
06-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Auto glass company! Thats always a big payoff if you can get in with some insurance agencies and wont take anywhere near that amount to start.
Thats a good one too. And if you can get in with the body shops in your area that are DRP's for insurance companies even better.

Phat Matt
06-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Multiple business' aren't out of the question either.

pw_Tony
06-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Oh my gosh body shop buisness is one the biggest BS buisness's.
So much Drama, and work, and doing 20 things at once!
But if you were to go that way, Insurance claims is where all the money is at :D

Concept1
06-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Matt, I have a friend that started his own deal after working for JC's for 5 years making 10 bucks an hour. I go to him now if I need alotta money to start or finish a house, probably worth a couple million now if not more..Talk to Brian ( AKA SquirtNmyload ) on here, thats what he does. Im thinking about starting 1 down here if I can.

blown dough
06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh my gosh body shop buisness is one the biggest BS buisness's.
So much Drama, and work, and doing 20 things at once!
But if you were to go that way, Insurance claims is where all the money is at :D
Its all how it is managed, we have been doing it for 19 years and it has been very very good to us. Drama yes, but we are all pickey about our cars, its how you deal with it that makes it or breaks it.

Concept1
06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Thats a good one too. And if you can get in with the body shops in your area that are DRP's for insurance companies even better.
Thats right! always coverin all aspects..

Boozer
06-28-2007, 08:06 PM
This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsZZbmnWPUI
Currently there are not enough commercial truck washes in operation. Many companies use mobile truck washes to come out and wash their trucks. Problem is... The EPA is cracking down like crazy on mobile outfits because of the run off.
Traditional truck washes are a bitch to operate. Until recently the only way to run a truck wash involved having a staff of about 20-30 people operate pressure washers and use brushes. Cleaning a truck using pressure washers and brushes takes about 30 minutes, the machine you see in the video does a truck and trailer in 8 minutes and requires no labor whatsoever.
I built the machine you see in the video so I can tell you anything and everything you want to know about it.
I also have a line on a location in Fontana that is currently a truck wash and the owner is more then likely willing to lease out the building because he hasn't done a very good job of managing the existing wash business.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-28-2007, 08:14 PM
The location, as we all know, is a big factor in the businesses success.....What will work in one area may not work in another.....Are they tied down to a specific location?

SummerBreeze
06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
I would buy about 20 houses in Lake Havasu. and rent them to snow birds

Slow What
06-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Titty Bar With a Taco Shop next door :D :) :D
Problem is then I would Become a workaholic :D

ahhell
06-28-2007, 08:32 PM
A friend is doing a 3 acre storage facility...at 65% occupancy he tells me its 28K/month
3 mil total outlay...2 mil down should cover

Phat Matt
06-28-2007, 08:36 PM
The location, as we all know, is a big factor in the businesses success.....What will work in one area may not work in another.....Are they tied down to a specific location?
I would say yes. Inland Empire.

Phat Matt
06-28-2007, 08:38 PM
A friend is doing a 3 acre storage facility...at 65% occupancy he tells me its 28K/month
Storage units idea have actually been kicked around.

Jordy
06-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I've always thought storage was the way to go.
And there ya have it. Low upkeep. The biggest expense, other than the initial land purchase and construction is keeping the gate working. Build one with a little living area and put some cranky ass old retirees in there to manage the place. Give them a golf cart to put around in, and you're golden. :D

squirt'nmyload
06-28-2007, 08:45 PM
yeah...tell me about it :D :D

squirt'nmyload
06-28-2007, 08:47 PM
double post :D

hallett21
06-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Invest in properties!!! make money then keep making it off the ones you sell:D :D :D

squirt'nmyload
06-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Matt, I have a friend that started his own deal after working for JC's for 5 years making 10 bucks an hour. I go to him now if I need alotta money to start or finish a house, probably worth a couple million now if not more..Talk to Brian ( AKA SquirtNmyload ) on here, thats what he does. Im thinking about starting 1 down here if I can.
:idea: :idea: :D

YeLLowBoaT
06-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I always wanted to open a car wash with ether wet T shirts or bikinis. strike that... the see thru binkinis.
If you go realestate, the only way to make money now multi familys or comm'l ( mainly offices) Atleast around sac.

moneysucker
06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Comercial strip centers. Buy crappy ones, reface them and raise the rent. Hold a few years after fully reoccupied and sell for bank and do it again.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Depends on how large the nut is to crack.....$28k might be the income but what is the net?
Storage can be tricky as well. Look at all of the recently constructed storage facilities in the Havasu area.....some are not anywhere close to full capacity.....

acatitude
06-28-2007, 09:25 PM
yup storage units the only way to go
theres actually 1 for sale on kiowa for 2.9 m
strip centers are bad I feel. if you buy a crappy one its in bad part of town. a decent one will need refacing down the road then big bucks, and every time a new center opens your clientel drops.
Industrial buildings are next best bet next to storage

Phat Matt
06-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I know last year when I was looking for a place to store my travel trailer I had a hell of a time finding a place with room. The one around here are mostly just open lots with gravel too! :idea:

bigq
06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
This is what I would do. Places where they make big houses and small lots so the owners have no RV parking, but can afford and RV or boat. Might take more then a couple mil though.

bigq
06-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Another thought might be an RV resort that rents out spaces. They are becoming hard to come by.

Riverdog1
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
The only factor is you have 3 partners that aren't afraid to put in the work for something that will be successful. Of course that also means profits would be split 3 ways.
What would you do?
A copier business...10% NIBT...Then three years down the road sell it for double to the Manufacturer or another growing ambitious company with lots of capital. As an Owner you make lot's of money AND it's an equity business. Think about it. Every business needs a copier. I've made a handsome living doing this for the last 12 years.

bigq
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
If all else fails open a titty bar, I see those doing well all the time, I mean heard...;)

That Guy
06-28-2007, 10:07 PM
What would you do?
What are we going to do?.....I may be the 4th Huckelberry....:D :) :D

Phat Matt
06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
What are we going to do?.....I may be the 4th Huckelberry....:D :) :D
Maybe we should talk this weekend. :D

reDECKulous
06-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Gas station(s)
Strip Malls (build or purchase existing)
Easy money... and a lot of it.

Boozer
06-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Gas station(s)
Strip Malls (build or purchase existing)
Easy money... and a lot of it.
Gas stations....
Open an E-85 station in So-Cal. You will probably become very wealthy. As of current there are only a few in the state and one of them is on a military base so the general public can not even get to it.

phebus
06-29-2007, 05:37 AM
I would invest in recreation. That kind of money should get you a real good time. :D

ChumpChange
06-29-2007, 06:30 AM
That amount just about covers my first year's salary. When do I start?:D

gramps
06-29-2007, 06:35 AM
1. - refinery but that's more than 3 million
2. - Beer and pizza joint with topless waitresses on I-15 just south of Utah
3. - Beer and ice delivers service to the sandbar

Mr. Crusader 83
06-29-2007, 07:22 AM
Storage complex's are always money makers. My dad and I kicked around the idea acouple of years ago in havasu. You have to have 60% of the units filled to break even.
i also wanted to open a hooters type deal in havasu, right by the berger king, in that empty building. 1st floor for the kids, like an arcade and up stairs for the adults, lots of tv's good food, and strong drinks.
On a side note, you can open a hooters for 2mil. There requirement is 2mil in liquid assets, and the population in that area to support it.

WYRD
06-29-2007, 07:30 AM
And there ya have it. Low upkeep. The biggest expense, other than the initial land purchase and construction is keeping the gate working. Build one with a little living area and put some cranky ass old retirees in there to manage the place. Give them a golf cart to put around in, and you're golden. :D
I would venture to say the insurance would be the biggest expense, espec. in a high crime, high fire area like the IE but what do I know:D Now Phoenix on the other hand...

BADBLOWN572
06-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Another business that is very lucritive is rental yards. A friend started one a couple of years ago and he made a killing. Expensive to get into, but once you are setup, it is like clipping coupons. He started off by frequenting Pawn Shops and picked up jackhammers, paint sprayers, roto hammers, saws, etc... Paid pennies on the dollar for the equipment. Had it checked out and started renting it. Now he only buys new.
He said that you can pick up a new airless sprayer for about $350. Each rental costs $60.00/day. After 5 days you now have an asset worth about $100 (in resale) and is still making you $60.00/day for every day out there.
The biggest money maker in that field is parts though. For Masonry the guy wants a saw, sell him the blades at $3.00/ea. You paid about $0.75ea. Tool is only covered with parts they purchased from your yard.
He started out small now he rents trailers, bobcats, backhoes, etc... Lots of hours & time to setup, but very $$$ in the end.

wright27
06-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Yep, just built a brand new 25000sf shop that we move into in two weeks.
Just curious, what's the name of your shop?

Phat Matt
06-29-2007, 09:10 AM
All good ideas. Keep them coming. :)

riverbound
06-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Who would buy drinks when you can get free ones at Dave's? :D
The bar business is something the 3 partners know a lot about. They would rather go a different direction though.
Strip clubs :)

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
06-29-2007, 10:20 AM
The RV storage at El Toro is one of the largest in the country and will be closing soon (not sure when). That will displace hundreds if not thousands of RV's,boats, etc.
Jump on it.