PDA

View Full Version : I think my dog is dying

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
My eleven and a half year old lab stopped eating a couple of weeks ago. When we got back from the river this week, he looked really bad, so I took him to the Vet. He has lost about 25% of his body weight. They took X-rays to make sure he didn’t have a bowel obstruction, for which the only solution is surgery (no it’s not), but he doesn’t. Then they did some blood work. Their diagnosis and I quote, “I don’t know”. They said he was dehydrated (you think?) and wanted to keep him overnight to rehydrate (I don’t think so). They also said his white count is up, so they put him on an antibiotic and something to calm his stomach. That was four days ago.
He still isn’t eating, but he is drinking water and still peeing. He gets up when he is called and wags his tail, but I just gave him his morning meds and after he drank some water he vomited those up. If he doesn’t start eating by next week, I’m afraid I’ll have to put him down. :(
He has been a great dog, better than I had ever hoped for when I brought him home at seven weeks old. Sired four litters. Made some awesome retrieves and has gotten me into some of the most awesome hunting in the world.
This sucks!

Nord
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
I dread what you are going through. Truely sucks. I would give the vet one more try, or a different vet for a second opinion.
Good LUck
~NORD~

Phat Matt
06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear that. :(

CampbellCarl
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Been pondering the whole 'put-down' thing for my Shepard. She was a rescue/adoption so her age is unknown but the best guess is 10 yrs +/-. Both back hips are bad bad bad. She used to always meet me at the gate but no longer can get up without a lot time. Lots of quiet whinning but still eats, drinks and poops. I'm not a real pet person (1st dog at age 47) and this one came along about a year later. Don't know the 'signs' for putting her down but she seems to be in pain and makes me sad.
CC

Lightning
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
My eleven and a half year old lab stopped eating a couple of weeks ago. When we got back from the river this week, he looked really bad, so I took him to the Vet. He has lost about 25% of his body weight. They took X-rays to make sure he didn’t have a bowel obstruction, for which the only solution is surgery (no it’s not), but he doesn’t. Then they did some blood work. Their diagnosis and I quote, “I don’t know”. They said he was dehydrated (you think?) and wanted to keep him overnight to rehydrate (I don’t think so). They also said his white count is up, so they put him on an antibiotic and something to calm his stomach. That was four days ago.
He still isn’t eating, but he is drinking water and still peeing. He gets up when he is called and wags his tail, but I just gave him his morning meds and after he drank some water he vomited those up. If he doesn’t start eating by next week, I’m afraid I’ll have to put him down. :(
He has been a great dog, better than I had ever hoped for when I brought him home at seven weeks old. Sired four litters. Made some awesome retrieves and has gotten me into some of the most awesome hunting in the world.
This sucks!
I have an awesome vet in San Diego. Go to Governor Drive Animal Clinic, they are really good and well respected, maybe they can give you another opinion. He may need a change of food. What have you tried different so far? 11 1/2 is old, but not TOO old for a lab.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 08:58 AM
I dread what you are going through. Truely sucks. I would give the vet one more try, or a different vet for a second opinion.
Good LUck
~NORD~
What's the point? There was a sign in their office - doggy years compared to human years. For a dog that weighs more than 90 lbs, ten years was equal to 78 and twelve was 93. That puts my dog into his late 80's.
He's been a good boy and has had a good run. I don't want to drag on any pain and suffering. And to think, last month he was still jumping around playing fetch like he was still a puppy.

wsuwrhr
06-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Yea what he said. Bummer. Keep your head up.
I dread what you are going through. Truely sucks.
~NORD~
I would give the vet one more try, or a different vet for a second opinion.
Good LUck
~NORD~
Different vet for a second opinion, if it were a son or daughter, you wouldn't let it go like that, right?
Brian

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I have an awesome vet in San Diego. Go to Governor Drive Animal Clinic, they are really good and well respected, maybe they can give you another opinion. He may need a change of food. What have you tried different so far? 11 1/2 is old, but not TOO old for a lab.
Right now I am giving him rice and chicken broth with a little cottage cheese (per the vet). He has eaten Purina One for the last five years or so.

wsuwrhr
06-29-2007, 09:00 AM
What's the point? There was a sign in their office doggy years compared to human years. For a dog that weighs more than 90 lbs, ten years was equal to 78 and twelve was 93. That puts my dog into his late 80's.
He's been a good boy and has had a good run. I don't want to drag on any pain and suffering. And to think, last month he was still jumping around playing fetch like he was still a puppy.
Late 80's or not, LAST MONTH "he was jumping around and playing fetch like a puppy"

SummitKarl
06-29-2007, 09:01 AM
This sucks!
Brett, are you still feeding the dog "hard food"? at 11yrs old it could be something as simple as a bad tooth...try canned food:idea:

Windy
06-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Im so sorry for your dog. :(

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Been pondering the whole 'put-down' thing for my Shepard. She was a rescue/adoption so her age is unknown but the best guess is 10 yrs +/-. Both back hips are bad bad bad. She used to always meet me at the gate but no longer can get up without a lot time. Lots of quiet whinning but still eats, drinks and poops. I'm not a real pet person (1st dog at age 47) and this one came along about a year later. Don't know the 'signs' for putting her down but she seems to be in pain and makes me sad.
CC
That sucks, but it sounds like the time may be approaching. Have you tried any arthritis type of meds?
For me and this dog, this is all part of the "circle of life". I got this dog when my kids were 2 and 4 years old. They got to take care of him. We got to see puppies being born. Now it is time for them to learn the reality of life, is that we all die. It sucks, but it is part of life. Treat everyone well, because your day will come too.

Mrs. Restless22
06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
:( My heart goes out to you.
I DREAD the day I see my first little boy get old.
Hopefully he has a stomach bug, or its something simple. We had a dalmation before our lab that lived to be 16, or maybe 17. If their in good shape, they can make it!
Good luck.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Late 80's or not, LAST MONTH "he was jumping around and playing fetch like a puppy"
I know.

robk
06-29-2007, 09:07 AM
I second Nord; a second opinion certainly can't hurt...
Rob

RiverDave
06-29-2007, 09:07 AM
I sent you a PM..
RD

Baja Big Dog
06-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Been pondering the whole 'put-down' thing for my Shepard. She was a rescue/adoption so her age is unknown but the best guess is 10 yrs +/-. Both back hips are bad bad bad. She used to always meet me at the gate but no longer can get up without a lot time. Lots of quiet whining but still eats, drinks and poops. I'm not a real pet person (1st dog at age 47) and this one came along about a year later. Don't know the 'signs' for putting her down but she seems to be in pain and makes me sad.
CC
This really sucks, one of the problems we have (I have, don't want to accuse others) is our denial. We see the dogs go through a slowing lifestyle, and one of the problems is that the dog cant talk to us, they cant tell us if there pain level is a 2 or a 10. The vet once told me that if a dogs verbally complains (whining, yelping etc) they are in pain, at a sometimes higher level that humans have to endure.
Deciding when to eliminate a dogs painful lifestyle is the worst there is. You want to say let your heart be your guide, but that just doesn't cut it when it comes down to this.
Good luck, hopefully the "Bro" will jump to and decide its not time to leave you!

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 09:10 AM
I sent you a PM..
RD
Replied

rivercrazy
06-29-2007, 09:17 AM
My wife and I have a lot of experience with these types of issues.
Every dog deserves the best care your able to provide.
The decision on what time is right and appropriate to send the dog on is very personal but also should be primarily on the quality of life the animal has. If you cannot correct or improve a medical condition to the point the dog has a reasonably normal life without constant pain, it may be time.
But at the same time, be sure there is nothing you can do to make dog healthier. There are lots of medications that help reduce inflamation and pain. Our 13 year old husky is now on a non-steroidal arthritis medicine and the difference before and after is truely amazing. Its like he's 3-4 years younger and is now enjoying life and essentially pain free. Without this medicine, I believe his remaining days here with us would be significantly less.
We also put down his Bro a few months ago after working with him hard in connection with a irreversable disease. I think we extended his life with a signficant increase in quality. But his day came and wouldn't let him suffer. That was one tough day.

hava life
06-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Try mixing up a real good recipe and feeding him (1lb)ground turkey, (2cups)brown rice, (1lb) green beans mix this up and give your dog some with a good Kibble. I use to give this to my last dog when he was 10 and it seemed to help him for a few years. Don't over cook when preparing so you don't loose the nutrients.

warlock
06-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Replied
Dude...same shit happened ta' my dog and it got skinny as hell and would not eat for about 3 months and the vet couldn't find anything I thought he was a goner...Then the dog slowly started eating and drinkin' and now the dog is healthier then shit...Don't know if it was a tooth ache or what the hell...Sorry ta hear about yer dog that really blows...

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Try mixing up a real good recipe and feeding him (1lb)ground turkey, (2cups)brown rice, (1lb) green beans mix this up and give your dog some with a good Kibble. I use to give this to my last dog when he was 10 and it seemed to help him for a few years. Don't over cook when preparing so you don't loose the nutrients.
Maybe I'll add soem ground meat to his mix. He won't touch what the vet suggested.
Dude...same shit happened ta' my dog and it got skinny as hell and would not eat for about 3 months and the vet couldn't find anything I thought he was a goner...Then the dog slowly started eating and drinkin' and now the dog is healthier then shit...Don't know if it was a tooth ache or what the hell...Sorry ta hear about yer dog that really blows...
I figure when he is too weak and can no longer get up and walk, it is time.
Yes it does really blow. :(

riverbound
06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
What's the point? There was a sign in their office - doggy years compared to human years. For a dog that weighs more than 90 lbs, ten years was equal to 78 and twelve was 93. That puts my dog into his late 80's.
Just as an FYI....we had to put my golden down about 2 years ago now :( (he was close to 15) The last couple years he would go through spells like your dog is going through now, we got a puppy around age 11 for him (thinking he was gonna be gone soon and not wnating to be without a dog) and it was amazing what it did, he was like a puppy again, he would have his occasional spell of being old but all in all I believe it gave us a couple more years with him we wouldnt have had. We did end up having to put him down as he was getting senile and eventually got to the point where he would snap at the kids if they were played around him, be tween that and the seizures he started having we figured it was time :( I also just had to put down the dog I was closest to my whole life recently, she was my baby she all of a sudden one day she couldnt get up or do anyhting. My Ex wife took her to the vet to find out that she had cancer :(...the point I am trying to mkae is, when the time comes to do it, you will know its the right choice.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Just as an FYI....we had to put my golden down about 2 years ago now :( (he was close to 15) The last couple years he would go through spells like your dog is going through now, we got a puppy around age 11 for him (thinking he was gonna be gone soon and not wnating to be without a dog) and it was amazing what it did, he was like a puppy again, he would have his occasional spell of being old but all in all I believe it gave us a couple more years with him we wouldnt have had. We did end up having to put him down as he was getting senile and eventually got to the point where he would snap at the kids if they were played around him, be tween that and the seizures he started having we figured it was time :( I also just had to put down the dog I was closest to my whole life recently, she was my baby she all of a sudden one day she couldnt get up or do anyhting. My Ex wife took her to the vet to find out that she had cancer :(...the point I am trying to mkae is, when the time comes to do it, you will know its the right choice.
I hope so.

edog_103
06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
This sucks!
Just curious. Why did you decide aganst the I.V.?

Miss Perfect
06-29-2007, 10:32 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your dog :(

Kachina26
06-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Really sad to hear, I hope RD gave you some advice that's gonna help. I'm kinda gearing up for the same thing. We have a cat that has to be going on 13-14 years old now. He's getting slow and lazy, but he's my bud. He's not your ordinary cat, he will come when called and loves to hang out. I know the day will come, and it saddens me. Sure hope you get more time with your buddy.

Run_em_Hard
06-29-2007, 11:04 AM
You said that your dog wasn't eating(thats not a problem) than you said you were feeding it chicken and rice. So is he keepeing his food down and eating some? The main question here is if he is pooin? If your dog stops doing that then there is something wrong.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Just curious. Why did you decide aganst the I.V.?
One is cost. I swear that CA vets just want to run up the tab. In the "Dr's Parking" outside of their office sat two Mercedes and a Beemer. I was alreday up to $500 and couldn't afford an overnight stay. Second, he is still drinking water. Direct water IV, isn't gonna help much. He'll pee whatever they give him out in a day or two. I know he's dehydrated, but I want to know why. Most cancer patients die dehydrated. IV fluid replacement therapy is a band aide solution to a much bigger problem. On their reccomendation, I did let them give him a SubQ bolus. Not sure if it did any good or not.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 11:06 AM
You said that your dog wasn't eating(thats not a problem) than you said you were feeding it chicken and rice. So is he keepeing his food down and eating some. The main question here is if he is pooin? If your dong stops doing that then there is something wrong.
Twice a day, I'm fixin' him chicken broth, rice and cottage cheese. He ain't eating it though. He has had nothing but diarrhea for the last few weeks.

RiverOtter
06-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I just went through this. 13 year relationship gone. No fun

bahner454
06-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Try some boiled chicken breats, Very High in proten and easy to digest unlike Turkey (to fatty). When my dog was sick this was the only thing she would eat that stayed down. She had some kid of virus the vet never did figure out, She is doing fine now. Hope all goes well for you and the dog.

DeepVee
06-29-2007, 12:02 PM
We had a similar situation with our dog, stopped eating regular food, lost weight, drank tons of water and urinated excessively. Turns out he had diabetes, vet knew a soon as I described symptoms. When they get this way no matter what they eat they can't absorb the nutrients without insulin shots and slowly starve to death.

Ziggy
06-29-2007, 01:14 PM
This sucks!
So sad to hear Brett, I just went thru the exact thing a month ago....my dogs systems were just simply beginning to shut down..
It was real hard on the wife and daughter, me too......we all shed some tears.
Hope for the best but expect the worse......:(

Ziggy
06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
We use the vet Nespor in San Marcos.........Swedish woman, super kind, gentle and knowledgable.......
Try her for a second opinion, seems they are not quite as aggressive with upsells like ALL the others we've tried...they eally try to find out whats wrong.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 01:34 PM
So sad to hear Brett, I just went thru the exact thing a month ago....my dogs systems were just simply beginning to shut down..
It was real hard on the wife and daughter, me too......we all shed some tears.
Hope for the best but expect the worse......:(
Thanks Zig. This has been a trying couple of months.
I think I'm gonna change my name to "Always Somethin'"

plaster dave
06-29-2007, 01:55 PM
This sucks!
Man that sucks I can't even think about the day I have to go through this with my Rot. He is 14 and still full of life but his hips hurt him in the mornings.

PunkAssBitch
06-29-2007, 01:59 PM
What part of town are you in?
I have a great vet...Dr. McKittrick at Eastridge Animal Clinic in La Mesa....
I totally understand what you're going thru...we went thru the same stuff with our 14 yr old Aussie about 9 years ago & again almost 3 yrs ago with our beloved 11 yr old Chow.
{{{hugs}}}

NdaWind
06-29-2007, 02:25 PM
I had similar experience with my 10 year old retriever. At the time I was single and she was my constant buddy. Took her to 3 different vets over 2 months with overnight stays (1000's of dolloars) that nearly drove me to the brink. One day after Thanksgiving a good friend came by with a plate of turkey, cranberry and stuffing, I was a mess and couldn't eat, she got up from her corner and came over and ate the whole thing. I was the happiest man ever. She lived another 4 healthy years. Doctors never did figure out what was wrong.
Hang in there and keep up the hope.

riverroyal
06-29-2007, 02:41 PM
this with my golden 6 years ago,they guessed it was cancer.It was very tough to deal with.Hang in there

CAHotRodBoy
06-29-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. I lost my 12 year old black lab in February. She stopped eating, took her to the vet. She had internal bleeding, cancer in sleen and liver so had to let her go. very tough thing to go through.
About a month ago my less than 2 year old Weimeraner stopped eating, off and on. Had her in and out of vets several times. Blood test, x-rays, etc and they couldn't find anything wrong. Eventually stopped eating all together. Tried to give her Pedialite but she wouldn't even drink. Called the vet on Sunday after she didn't injest anything for almost a week. Vet on call (baerly spke english) said my vet would be in Tuesday and dog should be okay till then. I tried to get her in to be seen and was very concerned about her not eating so long. Vet asured me dog should be fine. Well Monday she wouldn't move so rushed her in. Vet sais she neds to go to emergency so rushed there. Carried her in but she arrested as soon as she hit the table. It is still tearing my up just to write this.
I really hope it works out for you. It's such a hard thing to go through. Good luck and know that all the Hot Boat people will be here for you.

CBadDad
06-29-2007, 04:32 PM
CAHotRodBoy that is gut wrenching. My condolences to you.
I've been hanging out with my boy all day. He is wobbly when he walks and throws up each time he gets a drink of water. I'm gonna keep trying to put the meds in him and hope he turns for the better. I'll try some of the recipes here and see if I can get him to eat anything, but my gut is telling me he isn't gonna last much longer. :(

topless
06-29-2007, 08:41 PM
CAHotRodBoy that is gut wrenching. My condolences to you.
I've been hanging out with my boy all day. He is wobbly when he walks and throws up each time he gets a drink of water. I'm gonna keep trying to put the meds in him and hope he turns for the better. I'll try some of the recipes here and see if I can get him to eat anything, but my gut is telling me he isn't gonna last much longer. :(I certainly don't want to give you any worse news than you already have but on a brighter note, I have a yappy dog who is epileptic and had at least 5 grand mal sezuires one night. It looked to me like she had a stroke and I thought I was going to have to have her put to sleep. The vet kept running tests but wouldn't tell me anything. All she would do was walk in circles, pee herself an drool. She finally started getting better and now isn't even on her seizure meds. I think the stroke killed the part of her brain that kept seizing. Yor pup is not hopeless so don't give up.
Ali

david_396
06-30-2007, 06:44 AM
:( The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Going thru the same thing here. 13 year old fox terrior, Krammer. Put his 14 year old pal down last summer. Last summer I called the local vet on a thursday and expained the situation. Was told that I could bring him in on Tuesaday. Told them dog wouldn't make it thru the hot weekend. Tuesday was the soonest they could get him in. They wanted $60 bucks plus a cremation fee of $44(was going home with me anyway),
Called local animal control ($20), and that would have included cremation fee. told them my situation and they said bring him in when ever I felt ready. Talked with kids (8 and 11) and they went with me. The officer was great there. Took him back with his blanket and brought him back a few min. later. I felt bad I didn't go with him but I wasn't asked to go in with him. KInda strange, I teared up a bit just writing this.

Silver
06-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Maybe I'll add soem ground meat to his mix. He won't touch what the vet suggested.
I figure when he is too weak and can no longer get up and walk, it is time.
Yes it does really blow. :(
Sounds crazy...but.......I used baby formula to save a dying dog years ago.
Gave him just enough...I guess to start feeling better and eating again.
Sounds like everyone has some great ideas. But when it comes down to just being old.....well......he's old. And be nice and don't let him sit in pain. (doesn't sound like you would)
I am sorry. He gave you so many wonderful years! What a wonderful dog!!!!

gramps
06-30-2007, 08:23 AM
2 1/2 years ago I lost my Golden to cancer. I put him on this food for a few months. It was the ONLY thing that he would eat and keep down. I'm not saying it will help your dog but I can say that I honestly gave my dog some more quality time before I had to let him go.
The name of the food is Embark
Here is the link http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/index.shtml
Good luck

cc322
06-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Sucks for anyone to have to go through this, we had to put down our 11 year old shepard last year, best dog I ever had, her hips couldnt hold her up anymore. The sad part was everything from the hips up was working fine, she just couldnt get up anymore. I finally made the decesion that quality of life just wasent on her side anymore so I took her in and had her put down. The damn thing was that the vet gave me a moment to be alone with her and I balled like a little baby, and when I was finally ready to let her go she held her head up and gave me a huge lick across my face and she was gone. Hang in there Brett.

Firecracker
06-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I have lost 3 dogs to cancer. Two in the last 3 years. It is something very hard to deal with, especially as the owner. All three went down hill in different ways. The first one the vets told us she had kennel cough, turns out she had a huge tumor in her lungs :mad: that they didn't see in any x-rays, she was ok on day, and the next we had to put her down. The second one was one of our rescued greyhounds, and she got pancreatic cancer. All the jack off vets out here insisted she had pancreatitis (sp?), so we took her to a very good vet in Castaic, and sure enough, she had pancreatic cancer. She stopped eating and was vomiting quite often, the last day she was around, we thing the tumor burst in her because within an hour of her getting off the bed and letting out a little yelp, she was no longer able to walk without assistance. The last one we lost in February, the vet thinks it may have started as bone cancer and moved on to the liver. Cancer is common in greyhounds so it was no surprise. He just started losing weight, and all of a sudden his back legs would give out from underneath him, and he would start yelping and crying because it hurt. He had a great appetite throughout the whole deal, but drank a ton of water. That dog got up the strength to walk without a limp and with pride into the vet for his last visit. We knew it was time the day we took him in. And the night before, I had taken a picture of him, and there was an orb that came up in the picture... We think it was the greyhound that we had put to sleep just a couple years before watching over him. :(
Everyone on here has had experiences with this, and it is one of the hardest things for anyone to go through. They are like our children. Unfortunately by the time a dog can tell us or show us something is wrong, it is too late most of the time.
I am wishing you the best of luck, and telling you to be strong. Your dog will tell you when it is time.

CARLSON-JET
06-30-2007, 04:15 PM
One is cost. I swear that CA vets just want to run up the tab. In the "Dr's Parking" outside of their office sat two Mercedes and a Beemer. I was alreday up to $500 and couldn't afford an overnight stay. Second, he is still drinking water. Direct water IV, isn't gonna help much. He'll pee whatever they give him out in a day or two. I know he's dehydrated, but I want to know why. Most cancer patients die dehydrated. IV fluid replacement therapy is a band aide solution to a much bigger problem. On their reccomendation, I did let them give him a SubQ bolus. Not sure if it did any good or not.
CBaDad, You could ask the vet if you can give him the I.V yourself. We had a cat that we gave them to for a few weeks. It was a lot cheaper to do it ourselves.. There might be an issue with the size difference though..
My Moms dog just passed a few weeks ago and the vet never figured out what was wrong. He was a big part of the family, very sad situation as he was only 10.
Good luck.. R.B.

MBlaster
06-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Very rough.
I'm in the horse world and have had to deal with putting large animals down.
It certainly isn't very easy to see a animal companion suffer.
I can only say that there comes a time when you have to become a humanitarian and make the tough decision to end a animals suffering.
They pass very easily and sometimes I think its harder on us than them.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-30-2007, 08:12 PM
:( we are so sorry..it is a very hard thing to watch..

DansBlown73Nordic
07-01-2007, 03:39 AM
I had a Great Dane for 10 years. He was fine one day and the next was laying on the floor and couldn't move. I had to have the vet come and put him down on my cellar floor. By far one of the worst things I ever went through.:(
I swore Id never ever have another Dog. He was about a #160 pounds. It was like a small horse. He liked to set on my LAP!!!!!:jawdrop:

CBadDad
07-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks Riodog.

CBadDad
07-01-2007, 08:28 AM
:( The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Worth re posting.