PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs on your Deck Boat

River918
06-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Just curious who has them and if you use, or even need them....????? Power is either a Mag/Ho or a 525....
Thanks..

shippingguy
06-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Just curious who has them and if you use, or even need them....????? Power is either a Mag/Ho or a 525....
Thanks..
Depends on the boat. I know the Ultra 26 Shadow does not need them at all (Only Deckboat I have driven). If you are planning on doing some towing (tubes, skiers, etc) then I would suggest getting them no matter what deckboat you get. If you are looking at getting the Shockwave that boat runs real wet so again they would not do much. Just my .02.
Mike

Keith E. Sayre
06-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Here at Magic, we install trim tabs for those that are dedicated wakeboarders
and need to go slower than 20 mph. But be CAREFUL! trim tabs installed on
a tunnel bottom can get real spooky if you're running hard and one of them
goes down by accident. I've always thought it would be good to have some
type of disabling switch above a certain rpm like 4000??
The boats with the Talon style bottom don't need tabs for regular use as long
as the x dimension is positioned correctly.
Other ways of accomplishing the same wakeboarding goals include putting a
real small pitch 5 blade prop on. It will lift the transom which obviously
lowers the front end. If you can go about 4 inches of pitch less than normal,
the motor will buzz up and build enough torque to keep the transom high
which once again lowers the front end.
Keith Sayre

Deano
06-29-2007, 09:14 AM
I have them on my boat. They work great if you are towing kids slow. I use mine mainly to control list. A 200lb sack of potatoes on one side of your bow can make the boat lean pretty good.

Throttle
06-29-2007, 09:18 AM
NO, you should not put them on your new boat...

jayd_jr
06-29-2007, 09:54 AM
I have thought about it due to the fact when you have odd numbers on the boat or when people in the bow area sit next to each other. Alot of weight on one side of the boat causes a lean which I dont like. As far as what keith mentioned I would rather take my chences of the mechanical failure then the feeling or thought of a sponson digging in while turning or going over rollers. I will most likely be adding them during the next winter break.

SnakeWrench
06-29-2007, 10:33 AM
NO, you should not put them on your new boat...
I agree with Throttle. DO NOT INSTALL THEM ON YOUR DECKBOAT. Bad mojo.

atomickitn
06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
not needed stay away from them, if you are planning on running over 100 then you might think about it , if you don't plan on running over 100 please erase that thought out of your skull,you are only asking for trouble, the # 1 reason some people put them on is to control porpoise, and to help get on plane faster that is it ........

SnakeWrench
06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
not needed stay away from them, if you are planning on running over 100 then you might think about it , if you don't plan on running over 100 please erase that thought out of your skull,you are only asking for trouble, the # 1 reason some people put them on is to control porpoise, and to help get on plane faster that is it ........
Yeah, that too. LOL

NashvilleBound
06-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I have them on my Magic...... only good for wakeboarding....nothing else.

River918
06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the advise. I figure even with the 525, I'll only be pushing around 80mph and wont need them. I can take the $$$$ I would spend on them and save it...
Thanks,,

shippingguy
06-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the advise. I figure even with the 525, I'll only be pushing around 80mph and wont need them. I can take the $$$$ I would spend on them and save it...
Thanks,,
Smart move. They really are not worth it. You should be able to control that boat with throttle and trim by itself.
Mike

driverno8
06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
I have them on my deck boat and LOVE them. use them all the time. Mainly to get on plane. When we test drove a Command Deck I didn't like the bow rise. Now with tabs the boat takes off flat. I will use them when going really slow 20-30 but besides that they're up out of the way. As for one dropping. Nope. They're both on the same pump. I can't control side-side and have never had the need to.

Throttle
06-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks,,
I think you should save your money on the tabs and buy me some Jack!:D
mama needs a new swim suit too.... haha

plaster dave
06-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Ok my friend has a 28’ Magic deck and it leans to the left bad I think it is due to the stereo and the generator all on the left side. So tabs won’t help this problem at all? What can he do to fix this, add a fat sack to the right? THX Dave

Deano
06-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok my friend has a 28’ Magic deck and it leans to the left bad I think it is due to the stereo and the generator all on the left side. So tabs won’t help this problem at all? What can he do to fix this, add a fat sack to the right? THX Dave
I have the same problem. There is no more lean with tabs

plaster dave
06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I have the same problem. There is no more lean with tabs
Really cool what size tabs and what was the cost of them? THX.

Deano
06-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I put the eddie marine sport tabs on a few years back..http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=20614&c=37
I'm not setting any speed records so they they work perfect for me.

plaster dave
06-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I put the eddie marine sport tabs on a few years back..http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=20614&c=37
I'm not setting any speed records so they they work perfect for me.
Thx.