PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of PWC towing inflatables...

2Driver
06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
We were on the river last Friday mostly up by the Parker dam. This guy came by ( right about where my avatar is) on a 2 seater PWC with a small kid on the back seat towing 3 kids on a tube. My buddy and I debated the legality of it. Personally, I thought it was nuts. How do you get anyone back on board in the event of an issue? :rolleyes:

pw_Tony
06-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Pretty damn sure you can only tow 1 person on a 3-seater Jet Ski.
If the tube was to deflate or get a hole they would have to go on the back.
Here in Bullhead I see that EVERDAY, and watch the cops go by without a wince. I really do wish the bullhead/laughlin police we're a little more strice out here.

lucky
06-29-2007, 01:59 PM
hey more power to them the more they tow the slower they go ! and at least someone on board will pay attention to what the hell is going on around them !:D

pw_Tony
06-29-2007, 02:02 PM
hey more power to them the more they tow the slower they go ! and at least someone on board will pay attention to what the hell is going on around them !:D
Are you sure bout that? :devil:

RiverToysJas
06-29-2007, 02:09 PM
I am pretty sure the vessel has to have proper seating for everyone being towed. So as stated above, a three seat PWC, has a driver, observer, and that only leaves one to be towed......unless they're hot chicks, then it's something 7 or 9 you have to ask Riverdave..... ;)
RTJas :D

Boatcop
06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Unfortunately, there are no regulations in AZ or CA that deals with this.
The only mention in the law is that towing vessel must have an operator and an observer.
There are, however, US National Park Service Regulations that there must be room on the vessel for any persons being towed. This applies only in the National Parks or recreation areas. i.e. Mead, Mohave, Powell, etc.
I've argued for years about this. Even tried to do a "run-around" on the law. That being, Federal Law counts the person being towed as a passenger of the vessel in regards to PFDs. While Federal law does not require a skier to wear a PFD, they require that the boat have one on board for the skier. I tried to argue that if the skier is a passenger for PFD purposes, then the skier should be a person for capacity purposes.
The courts don't see it that way.
So as long as there is room for an observer on the PWC, they can tow a 15 person Cypress Gardens Ski pyramid if they want, and it's perfectly legal.

Water Romper
06-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, there are no regulations in AZ or CA that deals with this.
The only mention in the law is that towing vessel must have an operator and an observer.
There are, however, US National Park Service Regulations that there must be room on the vessel for any persons being towed. This applies only in the National Parks or recreation areas. i.e. Mead, Mohave, Powell, etc.
I've argued for years about this. Even tried to do a "run-around" on the law. That being, Federal Law counts the person being towed as a passenger of the vessel in regards to PFDs. While Federal law does not require a skier to wear a PFD, they require that the boat have one on board for the skier. I tried to argue that if the skier is a passenger for PFD purposes, then the skier should be a person for capacity purposes.
The courts don't see it that way.
So as long as there is room for an observer on the PWC, they can tow a 15 person Cypress Gardens Ski pyramid if they want, and it's perfectly legal.
Holy crap..I know where Cypress Gardens is...went there many years ago when my dad lived in Florida..:eek:

rrrr
06-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Holy crap..I know where Cypress Gardens is...went there many years ago when my dad lived in Florida..:eek:
:D :D
Cypress Gardens was where we got our first Deadly Boating Device.......a friend's dad came back from there with a Bill Bennett "flat" kite, made a Wego tube look like a kid's tricycle.
With a light person flying it would get up about 50-60 feet in the air and start oscillating, then do a beautiful wingover and head for the water.
Fortunately, I have always been a fat phuck and it wouldn't go over 20' high with me in it......:D :D