PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to Professional Courtesy!?

Do F150's Float?
12-21-2005, 09:19 AM
So, just a little angry/confused today. We had to fire ANOTHER receptionist for not showing up or calling in. The last one couldn't make it to work on time to save her life. One of my other family members had the same problem recently too. I know it's the holidays & all, but, c'mon people! You need money for presents don't you!??
I've just noticed a lot of this going on, especially in the mortgage biz - I'll call my lender reps 3 or 4 times with no response, only to find out they've left the company (& can't be bothered to let me know).
I just wonder about people sometimes...if I'm gonna be 10 minutes late, I call! If I have a doctor's appointment (not an emergency situation) I know at least 3 days in advance. I'm not saying there's no room for unexpected situations or anything...but it shouldn't be an ongoing problem!
Ok....rant over... thanks for listening :D

h2oski2fast
12-21-2005, 09:26 AM
That's not professional courtesy, thats just being professional. Professional courtesy is when a cop pulls over another cop and deosn't give him a ticket, because he's a cop.

Do F150's Float?
12-21-2005, 09:28 AM
Whatever...i was just trying to make a point :yuk: :D

superdave013
12-21-2005, 09:30 AM
shoe is on the other foot here. I'm going to fire my boss. Yup, you heard that right. They had me sign an "At Will Agreement" so now it's time for me to fire them at my will. ;)
I will give them the 2 weeks notice but I sure don't want to.
p.s. You should hire Bruce. I bet he'd make a fine receptionist. :cool:

76ANTHONY
12-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Whatever...i was just trying to make a point :yuk: :D
YOU MADE IT... now hows about that jobby job, i promise to be at work on time if you can get the jammies thing taken care of :D

Havasu Hangin'
12-21-2005, 09:31 AM
That's not professional courtesy, thats just being professional. Professional courtesy is when a cop pulls over another cop and deosn't give him a ticket, because he's a cop.
Q. Why don't sharks eat lawyers?
A. Professional courtesy.
:D

Cole Trickle
12-21-2005, 09:32 AM
We have had employees that would call in sick more times in a 2 week period than I have in my life.
Work habbits are hardly what they used to be.

Do F150's Float?
12-21-2005, 09:34 AM
p.s. You should hire Bruce. I bet he'd make a fine receptionist. :cool:
I need someone who actually wants to work!!! LOL....
YOU MADE IT... now hows about that jobby job, i promise to be at work on time if you can get the jammies thing taken care of :D
Well, maybe if you wear pinstripe jammies... :idea: isn't it a bit of a commute for $8/hr though???

h2oski2fast
12-21-2005, 09:34 AM
Work habbits are hardly what they used to be.
Yeah, I know, I've seen you work. :yuk:

meaniam
12-21-2005, 09:36 AM
So, just a little angry/confused today. We had to fire ANOTHER receptionist for not showing up or calling in. The last one couldn't make it to work on time to save her life. One of my other family members had the same problem recently too. I know it's the holidays & all, but, c'mon people! You need money for presents don't you!??
I've just noticed a lot of this going on, especially in the mortgage biz - I'll call my lender reps 3 or 4 times with no response, only to find out they've left the company (& can't be bothered to let me know).
I just wonder about people sometimes...if I'm gonna be 10 minutes late, I call! If I have a doctor's appointment (not an emergency situation) I know at least 3 days in advance. I'm not saying there's no room for unexpected situations or anything...but it shouldn't be an ongoing problem!
Ok....rant over... thanks for listening :D
there is no signal for their cell phones at the river....

Cole Trickle
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I know, I've seen you work. :yuk:
Hello pot it's kettel.............
I didn't say I don't take alot of scheduled vacation days :p
Even when I am on the golf course or in the boat I am still thinking about work. :idea:

OutCole'd
12-21-2005, 09:38 AM
Don't get me started........ Here in Vegas, the labor pool sucks so bad, you have to beg people to come to work, and if they screw up and you call them on, they freak out & quit.

NOTALENT
12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I dealt with that last month...Had to fire one guy because he just wouldnt show up to work period!! No calls, or ask for permission or leave. It happened 3 mondays in a row...He had no excuse other then he didnt get a wake up call at the hotel he was staying in.... :rolleyes: Had to fire him.

H20 Toie
12-21-2005, 09:43 AM
and not someone who hangs out on ***boat :)

76ANTHONY
12-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, maybe if you wear pinstripe jammies... :idea: isn't it a bit of a commute for $8/hr though???
OH CRAP 8 BUCKS AN HOUR, when do i start?????? :D you have any pull there???? :D

Do F150's Float?
12-21-2005, 09:50 AM
and not someone who hangs out on ***boat :)
Ohhh no, we couldn't care less about that. The first lady that got fired... I walked behind her desk, and she was sitting there...clicking on a BLANK Excel spreadsheet. Yeah, and then she has the nerve to try & work "overtime"!!!! :rolleyes:
It does get slow here (hence, why i'm on HB all day... :p ) but still...i manage to make myself look busy during the day!!!
OH CRAP 8 BUCKS AN HOUR, when do i start?????? :D you have any pull there???? :D
You can start tomorrow & keep the office open when we go to our xmas lunch @ yardhouse ;) And yeah, i have pull here... LOL...

h2oski2fast
12-21-2005, 09:55 AM
And yeah, i have pull here... LOL...
Tooo easy, no comment.

Do F150's Float?
12-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Tooo easy, no comment.
F.U.N. :p
By pull, i mean i get free lunch sometimes & all the whiteout i can use!!! :D

76ANTHONY
12-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Ohhh no, we couldn't care less about that. The first lady that got fired... I walked behind her desk, and she was sitting there...clicking on a BLANK Excel spreadsheet. Yeah, and then she has the nerve to try & work "overtime"!!!! :rolleyes:
It does get slow here (hence, why i'm on HB all day... :p ) but still...i manage to make myself look busy during the day!!!
You can start tomorrow & keep the office open when we go to our xmas lunch @ yardhouse ;) And yeah, i have pull here... LOL...
woooooohoooooo, does this mean i dont get to party at yardhouse? if not then can you bring me a doggybag? :D :p

Do F150's Float?
12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
woooooohoooooo, does this mean i dont get to party at yardhouse? if not then can you bring me a doggybag? :D :p
Totally. I'll bring you some leftovers. And next year, when we go to vegas (plans in the works, the "task force" - me & my assistant - will finally be 21), you can manage the phones, and we'll bring you a fancy snowglobe! :D

h2oski2fast
12-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Totally. I'll bring you some leftovers. And next year, when we go to vegas (plans in the works, the "task force" - me & my assistant - will finally be 21), you can manage the phones, and we'll bring you a fancy snowglobe! :D
Don't forget drunk dials!

Larry Nebb
12-21-2005, 10:12 AM
If you could fix me up with a snowglobe that tastes like the devil and has some pull I'll go for that job.

riverroyal
12-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Don't get me started........ Here in Vegas, the labor pool sucks so bad, you have to beg people to come to work, and if they screw up and you call them on, they freak out & quit.
I will work for ya,,,im always on time when Im not in havasu

Do F150's Float?
12-21-2005, 10:22 AM
If you could fix me up with a snowglobe that tastes like the devil and has some pull I'll go for that job.
:confused: :notam: :idea:

76ANTHONY
12-21-2005, 10:25 AM
what a great person you must be, always thinking about me. i wouldnt know i've never meet you :D :D :p

DMVQUEEN
12-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Ya, I feel your pain, after reading this thread today, I had had enough!!!! :mad:
I finally fired my assistant today. She would actually sleep at her desk, SITTING UP!!! She slurred her words, and when asked what is she on, she told me her foot hurt :rolleyes:
Thanks for the encouragement!!
BTW, looking for good help!! :cry: let me know,full time job, light office work in the San Fernando Valley
Sara out

Kilrtoy
12-21-2005, 08:03 PM
You guys are a bunch of BIG MEANIE's
Im sick right now and YES I left work early, but hell Im sick and I have 3 and 1/2 months of sick time.....

djunkie
12-21-2005, 08:05 PM
You guys are a bunch of BIG MEANIE's
Im sick right now and YES I left work early, but hell Im sick and I have 3 and 1/2 months of sick time.....
You get sick time?

Kilrtoy
12-21-2005, 08:12 PM
You get sick time?
THANK THE UNION

Boatcop
12-21-2005, 08:20 PM
At least you CAN fire incompetent employees.
My wife works for the Federal Government (Indian Health Services in Parker).
She's been there for 4 years, and in that time NO ONE in her office (except her) has been at work for a full 5 day work week. Some have never worked 2 full 8 hour days in a row. (Show up late, leave early, don't come back from lunch, etc.)
When they do that (AWOL) they're charged vacation or sick leave. When they run out of that, they're docked pay. Doesn't phase them in the least. One girl just didn't come to work for 6 weeks. No notice, no request. Nothing. Then one day showed up like nothing happened. They placed her on leave restriction. (Double Secret Probation) and set her up for job counseling. She could only take time off for emergency, and only if cleared by the director of the hospital, with concurrence from the Dept. head. My wife had to go in an hour early every day to make sure she was there when she was supposed to be. She wasn't. EVER
She was late or didn't go to the counseling sessions. Or when she did go, she'd take the rest of the day off. She was on this "restriction" for 6 months, and even then came in late, left early, didn't show up, etc.
Dismissal proceedings were started, and it took an additional 4 months to actually dismiss her. Termination had to be approved and directed by the Main Facility in Phoenix, from the very top of the Regional Office. and she cried for the union rep to save her job. He just shook his head and gave a feeble attempt to try and have her assigned to another Dept., but was pretty much resigned that she was history.
10 months to fire someone, who would have been gone in less than a week in the private sector. And all this time, the rest of the office had to do her job, along with trying to keep up with their own duties, while being gone from work around 25% of the time.
It must be a blessing to actually rid the office of deadwood when need be.

djunkie
12-21-2005, 08:32 PM
THANK THE UNION
Hell I don't even get sick pay. I've been off for a week with this freakin flu and NO pay here. Time to go on strike. :crossx:

Kilrtoy
12-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Hell I don't even get sick pay. I've been off for a week with this freakin flu and NO pay here. Time to go on strike. :crossx:
WTF the ILWU is better than that, but HELL you guys MAKE A GRIP OF CASH

djunkie
12-21-2005, 08:36 PM
WTF the ILWU is better than that, but HELL you guys MAKE A GRIP OF CASH
We do ok. When we work that is. :rolleyes:

DMVQUEEN
12-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey Boatcop (Alan), I guess I felt bad, this is a very small office, (the BOSS, me and the help) I have been dealing with this for 11 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I just felt bad for her, she had a sob story for EVERYTHING!!!!
Just feel that I can't find someone that ACTUALLY WANTS TO WORK!! (Except for MrsJetDriver)
What happened to GOOD WORK ETHIC!!!!
Drives me nuts
I will be a little crazy for a while, feeling bad about doing this during the Holidays and all, but i couldnt stand it any longer.
Sara out
Merry Christmas to all