PDA

View Full Version : Sportsmobile 4x4 vans

whiteworks
07-01-2007, 10:25 AM
I am thinking about replacing my suburban with a E350 turbo diesal 4x4 van.
http://www.sportsmobile.com/index.html
any one have any experiance with vans like these.

Baja Big Dog
07-01-2007, 10:39 AM
We run off road tours in Baja, we were looking into one of these for chase, they are the bomb, but they are very expensive, the diesel is the only way to go, but if your planning on going south better check on when (or if) they are going to put the new motors (6.4) in them, since they wont run on Mexican fuel.
They are not inter-cooled either, so the H.P. is low, but IM sure it has plenty enough, a little help from a chip and your good to go!
Talked to a few guys in the last year or so in Baja, and they all loved them.
Quigley is another company building these, prices were close as I remember.
Used was another option, but they are proud of the used ones also, great resale if that comes into your equation. (95 grand for a two year old van with 6,500 miles...)

whiteworks
07-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I just mentioned sportsmobile because that would be the the most popular company. I would like to order the 4x4 cargovan from quigley and do the rest of the conversion my self. I was thinking shag carpet/mirrored ceiling/waterbed a real love machine.;)

stoker22405
07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
I just mentioned sportsmobile because that would be the the most popular company. I would like to order the 4x4 cargovan from quigley and do the rest of the conversion my self. I was thinking shag carpet/mirrored ceiling/waterbed a real love machine.;)
Dont forget the Disco Ball

bigboy_77
07-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I work for Dynatrac and we make all of the 4x4 front axle conversions for them. The vans are pretty awesome.

MBlaster
07-01-2007, 11:09 AM
We were camped next to one last year. The people were really nice and they were saying how much they liked it.
They were cooking on a swing out propane stove and shitting in a box in a rig with no shower that they paid 80 grand for.
The wife and I were kind of laughing at them reclining in our air conditioned 33ft Southwind with a big ass slide watching sat tv.

Baja Big Dog
07-01-2007, 11:26 AM
We were camped next to one last year. The people were really nice and they were saying how much they liked it.
They were cooking on a swing out propane stove and shitting in a box in a rig with no shower that they paid 80 grand for.
The wife and I were kind of laughing at them reclining in our air conditioned 33ft Southwind with a big ass slide watching sat tv.
They are a different use purchase, you wouldn't be watching them from your Southwind on the beach in Mulege, Baja...
Most folks that buy one more than likely don't use them in campgrounds, and if they did I would be laughing with you :D

whiteworks
07-01-2007, 12:02 PM
I just found a dealer back east and I am surprised at how reasonable the prices are. I know some you guys here had custom vans back in the 70's lets see some pics or tell us about your mystery machines.

HokeySon
07-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I built one, using a salvaged Quigley axle and am getting ready to build another one.
There is a fairly lively online community discussing having and building these vans that I used to take part in, but have not in a long time.
Quigley makes the Sportsmobile vans. Another company that makes the vans is Salem Kroger in Oregon, I think. Then there is a newer company that I cannot remember the name of which also builds and sells 4wd vans -- it sells vans on ebay sometimes.
Quigley uses a custom Dana 60 set up with coil springs, a panhard bar and twin traction/torsion arms. It is a good set up, but they do cut and weld the crossmember and shorten the gas tanks so the transfer case will fit. They have a newer set up too that I saw at the Los Angeles Offroad Show that uses an Atlas transfer case. Quigley has been doing conversion for a long time. They only convert new vans, so you go to the ford dealer and order it, then then send it to Quigley who builds it an delivers it to the dealer. They have a great reputation.
I don't know much about Salem Kroger, except they will convert used vans and they used to claim they could put in an electric shifiting transfer case (which no one else does).
The other company that I cannot remember the name of claims to use all stock parts from F350's. I have checked out their website and they look really good to me. Using stock parts eliminates some of the issues with Quigley -- they use a lot of different parts. Plus, they will build it anyway you want. Quigley won't. For example, I understand Quigley will not build a 15 passenger van and will not lift it.
If you are looking for used vans, try ebay, Blue thunder's garage, and equipment auctions. A lot of these van were purchased by phone companies and such.
I love having a four wheel drive van. HTH
EDIT: Here is a link for conversion companies: http://www.thundersgarage.com/4x4vc.html#CALIFORNIA
Quad Van is the one I was thinking of that I could not remember the name -- It is in Oregon and listed on the link above.

MBlaster
07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
They are a different use purchase, you wouldn't be watching them from your Southwind on the beach in Mulege, Baja...
True dat. They do have their use since you could use one as a daily driver/tow rig. You do give up a lot of comfort though when it comes to camping in all but the most primitive of locations.