PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer repaired or new???

mark49
07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
When my father passed away he left my brother and I his 24' 71 Campbell.
The boat has just been re-finished but the trailer needs just about everything except bunks, tires and wheels.
Would it be cheaper to rehab the trailer, new chrome fenders, sand blast, weld, paint, bearings etc or replace... Need feedback from the bearded wiseman on top of the hill.
Oh any web site or prices on a replacement trailer.
Thanks a million
Mark

Baja Big Dog
07-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Whats your budget? If the steel is sound (no major rust) Id use it. The cost would vary depending on what you can do. New hangers and bushing and equilizers would would run about 90 bucks, for the top of the line Dexter stuff (All zerk points). Blasting and paint about 500 bucks, thick LED's about 120 bucks etc.
For less than a grand you could have a nice trailer.:D
N O T E .......
These prices were shoutgunned, Im sure someone will beat them up....its just a guess.

socalmoney
07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a new one from Extreme and couldn't be happier. I think I spent about 700 more than I would have if I had re-done my old one. Got a few more bells and whistles on it now also.

Old school Ultra
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Call Bear Trailers in Chatworth, He just built me a new one for the old Ultra, I know he does alot of re-furbs 818-727-1585

mark49
07-02-2007, 02:22 PM
The cost for just a cheap paint job (no sandblasting) in Havasu was $1200 bucks to $2200
Any idea what a new 24' trailer cost new nowadays??
The one guy (forgot the name) told me they charge about 800 bucks just for sandblasting. That would make a basic complete paint job $3,400 done right.
This not including the new chrome fenders, bearings, lights and modest welding.
I will take pics of the trailer, its not a rust bucket as its been stored inside most of its life, but does have some rust that appears modest.
As of now i dont trust this trailer outside of Havasu..
Thanks for any info provided
Mark

craiginlaverne
07-02-2007, 05:38 PM
We do refabs on trailers. We have built a few trailers for Cambells, channel and tube styles. All of our trailers come standard with LED's. Stainless fasteners, too. Not sure if we have the pattern for your year of boat. If not, we would need your boat to pattern. Any questions call 909 902 0094. Pacific Boat Trailers in Chino, Ca. :idea: GOOD LUCK!!

C-2
07-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm doing mine right now...and the cost for cheap paint is $300 OTD, Earl Scheib. Sand and paint, decent job.
I'm doing the bunks, new jack (Fulton makes nice jacks now with a grease fitting/zinc plated)...was gonna go LED, but staying oldschool; 4 new Greenballs ($340 OTD), new bearings done by me. I'll have about $800 into when finished.
If it lasts 7-10 years, I'll be happy cuz thats about the life of the bunks.

v-drive
07-02-2007, 05:55 PM
earl did my daughters and it came out really clean. I think the guy that quoted you that much blasting thought he had a live one.:D v-drive

C-2
07-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I got a few quotes from other too - in the $500-$700 range. I also heard of a guy in Temecula who would powder coat for $700.

mark49
07-03-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll drag the dam trailer home for that kinda savings... Now how did you get the boat off the trailer for that time period?

Kindsvater Flat
07-03-2007, 08:02 PM
I'll drag the dam trailer home for that kinda savings... Now how did you get the boat off the trailer for that time period?
Talk to wsuwrhr he has plans for a custom boat hoist.