PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so hyped over pontoons/tritoons?

MBlaster
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I thought this was freaking ***boat.

Tom Brown
07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Pontoons rock. :cool:
You can cruise the channel like a warrior and people get the hell out of your way.

squirt'nmyload
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
they are very relaxing boats to have. not too many worries when your in a toon. they are also great for families :)

Jbb
07-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Pontoons rock. :cool:
:p

Jyruiz
07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
they are very relaxing boats to have. not too many worries when your in a toon. they are also great for families :)
Yup, we are thinking of selling our current boat and get a toon.

Cole Trickle
07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Yup, we are thinking of selling our current boat and get a toon.
Gay....I let the Pink paint slide but this is the straw that broke the camels back!!!;):D

rrrr
07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Apparently there is a Hot Boat Chief Baller that decides what the Next Big Thing is. Once this is established, all Hot Boat Associate Ballers must immediately purchase the Next Big Thing in order to keep their Hot Boat Associate Baller status.
We have seen an example of this with the Rhino craze. In some instances, the Next Big Thing is very expensive, and only a few Associate Ballers can afford it. In that case, other Associate Ballers are able to retain their special status by engaging in Associate Baller Nutswinging. For examples of this behavior, do a forum search for "DCB".
I hope this has been helpful.
:skull:

Ziggy
07-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Certainly a lot less worries about dinging the gelcoat :)

Jbb
07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Apparently there is a Hot Boat Chief Baller that decides what the Next Big Thing is.
The man you speak of, of course, is Tom Brown.

vee-driven
07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Shit, i love my fast boats but a pontoon with a stripper pole bumping stereo, a shit load of alcohol, some hot bitches and a designated driver has fuk everything and lets get trashed written all over it.

Mountainstone
07-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Which part is not "hot?" The stripper pole, the full-size BBQ or the built-in kegerator?
P.S. Anybody know of a supplier for "offshore" billet keg tap handles :D

Baja Big Dog
07-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Im seeing some pontoons that will run with alot of the little jet boats around!!!
And what do boats have to do with this forum:confused:

vee-driven
07-03-2007, 04:26 PM
You can't tell me this punetoon aint the sh!t. I want one of these and a driver could you imagine the drunken memories with your own 38' floating island, after all most people drive to the hotspots and chill out all day, with this badboy you are the hot spot.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/79_mleedsfl030.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/79_mleedsfl023.jpg

vmjtc3
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
We thought about a pontoon but settled for a deck boat. Same concept but get there faster :D

sdpm
07-03-2007, 04:31 PM
We have had ours now for 7 yrs and love it. Very low maintenance, can haul alot of people, kids, dogs etc. Pulls skiers and wakeboarders fine. Easy on fuel and the insurance is very reasonable. It cruises real easy around 34 mph and gets real good mileage doing so. It has a Mariner 225 EFI on it. If it gets a little sloppy out there, they handle it great. I would take it out in the big stuff but the majority it handles fine. Great boats.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC04830.JPG

Classic Daycruiser
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Ding ding ding ding ding "insurance is very reasonable."
Insurance is what's going to kill the ***boat market. :idea:

TCHB
07-03-2007, 04:54 PM
We sold our Howard and now have a tripple toon Bennington and love it. It is very nice and rides great on Saturday afternoons in the rough water. There is much more room and shaded area than a deck boat of it same size. I think power to power the toon boats are pretty close (within 5-10MPH) to the glass boats in speed under 70MPH. Yes the glass boats have more bling and sexxxxy apeal with the exception of a pole.

707dog
07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
You can't tell me this punetoon aint the sh!t. I want one of these and a driver could you imagine the drunken memories with your own 38' floating island, after all most people drive to the hotspots and chill out all day, with this badboy you are the hot spot.
I ALMOST INKED A DEAL ON ONE OF THESE A COUPLE YEARS BACK BUT IT WAS ALL FLAMED OUT IN HARLEY DAVIDSON COLORS..I PUSSED OUT AND BOY WISH I WOULD OF DID IT WHEN I SEEN ONE ON THE WATER !

River918
07-03-2007, 04:55 PM
We seriously considered going the "Toon" way, but just couldn't do it. The wife and I just like the whole "Hot Boat" thing plus I have a hard time buying a "used" boat, and the new Toon we were looking at was starting at 70K+...We're gonna have a Deck built this winter, so we'll see you guys next spring for the maiden voyage....

HocusPocus
07-03-2007, 05:00 PM
they are inexpensive to operate, can be beached anywhere and ride great no matter what the chop is. if no beach is available then just toss out an anchor in a cove and your set for the day. lots of room for passengers and gear. i sold all 3 of my v-hulls last year and bought a new tri-toon, we have found that we use it more and worry about it less. i had planned on buying a new "***boat" in 2008 but it looks like i may just get a bigger more well equiped tri-toon. we all really enjoy this boat and i don't regret buying it for a second. i would have never guessed that i would like this as much as i do.

sdpm
07-03-2007, 05:10 PM
We seriously considered going the "Toon" way, but just couldn't do it. The wife and I just like the whole "Hot Boat" thing plus I have a hard time buying a "used" boat, and the new Toon we were looking at was starting at 70K+...We're gonna have a Deck built this winter, so we'll see you guys next spring for the maiden voyage....
Wow, 70 big for a toon!! That has to be one bad a$$ tooner!:eek:

River918
07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow, 70 big for a toon!! That has to be one bad a$$ tooner!:eek:
It was for the Palycraft 2700Extreme Tritoon as listed on this page.. with a 350 mag, they wanted 65K and with a mag/ho 72K..starting price and I asked if there was a little "wiggle room" in the numbers and the guy said "Nope."...I've heard the "JC's" aren't as high....
http://www.shimmermarine.com/page_playcraft.htm

fatboy95
07-03-2007, 05:21 PM
have you ever seen a 26' Playcraft with a 496 HO flyin down the lake? That is why.

sdpm
07-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I thinking this one in the spam section for the mid 40's. 70 is out of control!!
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34338&stc=1&d=1183482759

phebus
07-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Pontoons suck. Just ask all the people that have partied on mine. :D

Fire Angler
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
I didn't really want a Tri-toon at first, but it was a good choice. After 3 years I really like it, I should have went with a v6 instead of the wacker.

Racey
07-03-2007, 05:33 PM
That's badass, check out the que! Imagine that thing at the sandbar. cool as hell

MBlaster
07-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Apparently there is a Hot Boat Chief Baller that decides what the Next Big Thing is. Once this is established, all Hot Boat Associate Ballers must immediately purchase the Next Big Thing in order to keep their Hot Boat Associate Baller status.
For examples of this behavior, do a forum search for "DCB".
OK that explains it.
I always thought they were for old geezers and their hagglin wives to take the grandkids on.
Sounds like there are going to be a lot of nice boats for sale when everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
It may be a good time to get in the toon buildin bidness...:idea:

Nord
07-03-2007, 05:37 PM
How much is that red toon in the above posts?? That thing is sick!!

clownpuncher
07-03-2007, 05:58 PM
We're looking to get one, BUT, keeping the other one as well.
The other boat? 725 horses packed into 21 feet that likes to run. :D
Can't really do that in a toon, but, lot's of things I can't do in the current boat that I can in a toon.
Plus, I'm gettin old:D

willowrat
07-03-2007, 06:10 PM
OK that explains it.
I always thought they were for old geezers and their hagglin wives to take the grandkids on.
Sounds like there are going to be a lot of nice boats for sale when everyone jumps on the bandwagon.
It may be a good time to get in the toon buildin bidness...:idea:
I checked them all out. Read everything I could find. I even subscribed to Pontoon Magazine. Then I went to Boat Brokers and test drove a beautiful 24' JC Tritoon with a 350 chevy. It rode great on a choppy day. It did break down out of the marina because the gas guages were wired opposite to the fuel valve but a quick diagnosis on the water and we were going again. The boat was really nice.
The next day I test drove a 24' Cheeta Fast Cat with a 496. I suggest you do the same. I bought the Cheeta the same day and love it. No substitute for speed. I just imagined cruising in a JC and having a Cheetah blast buy. I am not ready for that yet. Plus the JC was 5K more. When I am old and cannot wax a boat I will buy a JC for sure.
The JC is top of the line. The fuel issue shows they all can have issues. It is a very good boat. Cheeta boats is not as pricey as some other boats. I have had mine for 1 yr and have 40 hrs on it. No issues.
Good luck at what ever you buy.

Riveratz
07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
We bought our first one in 2004, sold that one for the one in the avatar in 2005 and haven't looked back. I originally went to a toon for my new born. (Playpen on Water) Since having it I won't change to anything. Like it was stated above in Havasu you usually go to one place and hang out all day.

Not So Fast
07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Maybe when pigs fly or I'm 75, which ever comes first :D NSF

Boatcop
07-03-2007, 06:25 PM
We got the "Crest" (http://www.crestpontoonboats.com) TriToon 27' Upper Deck. It ran about 50 Gs with a 150 Verado. That was the highest O/B HP they would certify the boat for with the upper deck. It can go up to 250 HP without the top, but is available with an I/O also.
http://www.boatcop.com/SOToon.JPG
I studied pretty much all the 'Toon builders before we settled on this. Everything is through-bolted with s/s nylock fasteners, no self tapping junk. The entire under deck is sheeted aluminum, rather than bare wood. The quality of the build is outstanding. It rides beautifully.
H2O motorsports in Havasu is a dealer.

Xlration Marine
07-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I rented one at Big Bear Lake a couple of years ago. All of that nice big wide flat floor was nice, ooop's I didn't say that. I was think of tooling up a sponson or 2 and building one for myself. Ah just a thought.:idea: :idea:

porkbelly
07-03-2007, 07:56 PM
can all you ballers help out us non-ballers. who makes this thing??????:confused:

Havasu1986
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Pontoons suck. Just ask all the people that have partied on mine. :D
No..the people on the pontoon partied...You sucked...:eek: :D

Warlockjer
07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Maybe when pigs fly or I'm 75, which ever comes first :D NSF
Thats right around the corner Bobby....We haven't sold ours yet:)

vee-driven
07-03-2007, 08:13 PM
can all you ballers help out us non-ballers. who makes this thing??????:confused:
evolution pontoon makes the sick mofo!

yopengo
07-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Looks like an Evolution. http://www.evoboats.com/

HavaSkank
07-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I keep feeding my toon anabolic steriods in hopes it will magically turn into a JC tritoon over night.
It's the floating ice chest. It's the place to be when we all park in a cove or in the channel. The key is to have a double bimini and a bumping stereo. I'd add the stripper pole..but something tells me I'd break my neck in the first week.

MikeF
07-03-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd add the stripper pole..but something tells me I'd break my neck in the first week.
Ah, come on......Practice makes perfect.;)

porkbelly
07-03-2007, 08:50 PM
thanks guys. !!!:)

CornWater
07-03-2007, 08:52 PM
... I'd add the stripper pole..but something tells me I'd break my neck in the first week.
Better than the pole....
:eek:

HavaSkank
07-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Ah, come on......Practice makes perfect.;)
Dont get me wrong, I've master the pole at a few drunken parties...but something tells me putting a greased up, slippery pole in the bow of my boat screams DEATH WISH.
I could put one up for the other adventerous skanks who'd dare to board my vessel, but then I'd have competiton. Who needs that? I have a hard enough time as it is getting laid.

MikeF
07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I guess more than one girl on the pole would'nt be that bad either!:D

HavaSkank
07-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Better than the pole....
:eek:
I once broke a pole...which explains why I've been banned in Warsaw.

Havasu1986
07-03-2007, 09:08 PM
. Who needs that? I have a hard enough time as it is getting laid.
I heard you had a stalker Sat. that was willing. :eek: :D

HavaSkank
07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I heard you had a stalker Sat. that was willing. :eek: :D
Yeah, but even a skank like me has limitations.

Havasu1986
07-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but even a skank like me has limitations.
Ha Ha ..Not enough beer in you yet Kimmy...:confused:

Riverdog1
07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
If I could have a trailer to tow them all, I would have one. If all I could tow is my jet boat...that's what I'm gonna have.:D :D If you could put a 572 in one, I might think about it.:idea:

HavaSkank
07-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Ha Ha ..Not enough beer in you yet Kimmy...:confused:
It would take a LOT, I mean A TANKER FULL of beer to get me to consider such a nausiating propostion.
I could barf through it, right? Wear head phones? Take a handful of Valium? A blind fold?

hipcash
07-03-2007, 09:36 PM
My Playcraft cruises 50, has tons of room, huge bimini's and wherever we're parked everybody ends up hanging out on it because it's so comfortable. I think we will have 11 people on it tomorrow night for the fireworks show.

MikeF
07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
It would take a LOT, I mean A TANKER FULL of beer to get me to consider such a nausiating propostion.
I could barf through it, right? Wear head phones? Take a handful of Valium? A blind fold?
Octoberfest ain't that far away.:jawdrop:

Nord
07-03-2007, 11:05 PM
The red toon says svengali on the front of it. I know there is now brand called svengali. What gives?? That thing is sweet!!........................If I wanted a Toon that is.......:D

C-2
07-04-2007, 12:40 AM
We have seen an example of this with the Rhino craze. In some instances, the Next Big Thing is very expensive, and only a few Associate Ballers can afford it. In that case, other Associate Ballers are able to retain their special status by engaging in Associate Baller Nutswinging. For examples of this behavior, do a forum search for "DCB".
:skull:
Now that's funny, well done :)
-------------------
Toons are cool and all, but for the same reasons you wouldn't enter an Escalade in a hotrod show - I don't see one in our future.
This is one family activity where the smell of fuel, the sound of a wicked cam, and a white-knuckle ride takes precedence over comfort and kick-back.:D

Not So Fast
07-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Thats right around the corner Bobby....We haven't sold ours yet:)
I am very surprised that you havent, if I were in the market it would be GONE, no doubt. In reality, if you are content with what a toon brings then they are cool, I'm just not ready to slow down that much, been there and done that. To each his own!!!!!!!!!! NSF

Magic34
07-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Cruisers are where it is at. :D I just cant see doing the pontoon gig.
However, a 60 MPH toon seems very reasonable.

SummitKarl
07-04-2007, 08:53 AM
wow, I wonder if you spend more on gas or upholstery cleaner with that:jawdrop:

MBlaster
07-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Cruisers are where it is at. :D I just cant see doing the pontoon gig.
Saw you cruise in the islander a few weeks ago when we were there. I didn't get a chance to float over and say hi.

pw_Tony
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
My Playcraft cruises 50, has tons of room, huge bimini's and wherever we're parked everybody ends up hanging out on it because it's so comfortable. I think we will have 11 people on it tomorrow night for the fireworks show.
Cruise at 50mph in a pontoon? Yea sure...;)
Maybe you're reading Kilometers and that's at wide open throttle:devil:

clownpuncher
07-04-2007, 01:45 PM
wow, I wonder if you spend more on gas or upholstery cleaner with that:jawdrop:
LOL. Nice. I'd love it. Only problem would be getting the boat cover on/off by yourself.
Yup, I can see me having one. Kind of obnoxious in a very cool way.:D

SurfOnH20
07-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I sold my performance boat and bought as my friend would call it "An old man's boat". Gone are the days where I lug all my crap (ice chest, canopy, etc) off my boat and walking my boat up onto the shore so I wouldn't scuff the bottom. Now after setting up camp, time to walk the boat out and set the anchor which always seems to come loose when a jet-ski or a boat comes by.
Now if I cant find that perfect beach I just pick the right cove and kick back the rest of the day. Or no worries about ramming my boat up onto the beach. It stays put with even the biggest of wakes. When I find the beach I grab a cold one turn up the tunes and lay back on my big soft lounge seats. Soon after I take that nice afternoon nap under the bow to stern canopy. When I wake up I can break out the water skies and enjoy some water activities. And when I am driving back to Windsor Beach on late Sat afternoon my boat plows through the tempest on the water like an old battleship.
After selling my old boat I will never look back. Now I just enjoy a better quality of relaxation. Just look around people are now more often buying pontoon boats.

Not So Fast
07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Right on, it's called the "Havasu Stretch" or "Channel speed" as in the more I drink the faster I go. NSF

Magic34
07-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Saw you cruise in the islander a few weeks ago when we were there. I didn't get a chance to float over and say hi.
Wasn't me actually, but that would have been funny. The guy would look at you like WTF :D :D
There is another one that is frequent on Havasu. The name on the back of my boat is Secret Formula and I have a satellite dome on the top arch along with radar. That is what will tell me apart from the other one.
I'll be out there in September, so if you see me, stop and say hello. :)

Mountainstone
07-04-2007, 02:50 PM
The Playcrafts and a few others are available with 496 HO power. South Bay will sell you one with a 525. Twin outboards are popping up on more units all the time. Cruising at 50mph is a reality in today's pontoons.

phebus
07-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Pontoon Nation :crossx:

MBlaster
07-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Wasn't me actually, but that would have been funny. The guy would look at you like WTF :D :D
There is another one that is frequent on Havasu. The name on the back of my boat is Secret Formula and I have a satellite dome on the top arch along with radar. That is what will tell me apart from the other one.
I'll be out there in September, so if you see me, stop and say hello. :)
Good thing I didn't go up and make a ass of myself (not difficult at all, just ask Mrs Mblaster). Though how often does some dumbass that you don't know float over and start giving you beer?:idea: :D
Won't be boating much in september since we will be sitting on the beach in Hanalei Bay fo 9 days.

rodnjen
07-05-2007, 06:32 AM
How are the four-stroke outboards performing versus the I/O's? I would think the weight reduction would help.
A 24' JC with a verado on the back is sounding pretty good right now.

SurfOnH20
07-05-2007, 07:26 AM
I think the outboards are a bit faster. A Verado would be nice and they are very quite. I have a 22' Bennington with a 4.3 Volvo V-6 it cruises at about 38 mph with a full load of friends and coolers.

Not So Fast
07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
The Playcrafts and a few others are available with 496 HO power. South Bay will sell you one with a 525. Twin outboards are popping up on more units all the time. Cruising at 50mph is a reality in today's pontoons.
I wont argue that point but if I were to own a pontoon (Tritoon) i wouldnt be interested in a big heavy ass motor, sort of defeats the purpose doesnt it? My point was "Cruising at 50mph" with a 350Merc is a stretch because to me cruising is not WOT, it's 3500-4000rpm and not working the motor to death just to go that fast and I will never believe a pontoon can cruise at 50, maybe top speed and I even doubt that!!:confused: Of couse this is Hot Boat so what did I expect, Hell, every Magic that has a 496HO is faster than I am;) NSF

Todd969
07-05-2007, 08:36 AM
I wont argue that point but if I were to own a pontoon (Tritoon) i wouldnt be interested in a big heavy ass motor, sort of defeats the purpose doesnt it? My point was "Cruising at 50mph" with a 350Merc is a stretch because to me cruising is not WOT, it's 3500-4000rpm and not working the motor to death just to go that fast and I will never believe a pontoon can cruise at 50, maybe top speed and I even doubt that!!:confused: Of couse this is Hot Boat so what did I expect, Hell, every Magic that has a 496HO is faster than I am;) NSF
Great points Bobby.
I've been on a 26 playcraft with the 350\Alpha loaded up and cruised at 40, topped out at 45ish.
The Bennington wasn't that far behind with a real world load.
Our JC will cruise 33-35 @ 4K no problem.
These are kick back boats, floating living rooms, great raftup barges, excellent party platforms and just plain relaxing.
If you feel the need to go 60+ MPH, buy a Deck. :)

1cruznhog
07-05-2007, 09:14 AM
We just picked up our pontoon the day before yesterday, 27' Playcraft with the 496HO and absolutely love it. It is a floating living room with plently of room for the kids to hang out and lounge around. It topped out at about 53 WOT loaded with fuel, family, coolers, toys etc, but will cruise 35-40 all day long and not flinch.
Launched at Cat Tail, went south to Springs, north though the channel, by the sandbar up to Topock bridge, back south to Springs and putted around there for a few before loading up camp and heading back up to Cat Tail. Used just over a 1/4 tank of fuel (about 15 gallons).
The Commander would have use about 30-40 gallons. I am sold.........
BTW - I did buy it used (2006 with 35 hours) so I paid less than half what it would cost for a baller glass boat.....

Todd969
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
they also work well for skiing and tubing.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/todd969/101_2525.jpg?t=1183656636
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/todd969/101_2527.jpg?t=1183656665
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/todd969/101_2524.jpg?t=1183656694
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/todd969/101_0691.jpg?t=1183657012
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/todd969/101_0697.jpg?t=1183657038

Ion
07-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I ask once again...BUT WHY?!?!?
If someone wants to go fast, buy a boat designed to do so. It's kind of like teets on a bull....it's kind of useless. Sure, you might be able to go 50, but at what cost? It's not like pontoons are aerodynamically designed to cut through the water with as little drag as possible, are they? Next thing you know, pontoon owners w/ 496's are going to be supercharging them! Pontoons are relaxing, pleasure crafts, they definitely have a purpose and one of them is not to get from point a to point b as quickly as possible.

Not So Fast
07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Great points Bobby.
I've been on a 26 playcraft with the 350\Alpha loaded up and cruised at 40, topped out at 45ish.
The Bennington wasn't that far behind with a real world load.
Our JC will cruise 33-35 @ 4K no problem.
These are kick back boats, floating living rooms, great raftup barges, excellent party platforms and just plain relaxing.
If you feel the need to go 60+ MPH, buy a Deck. :)
Exactly Todd, wht reinvent the wheel ??:confused: Go fast= closed deck cat, go somewhat fast with SUV pleasures= Deckboat, pleasure crusing and lots of open space=Tritoon:D Pretty simple to figure out if you ask me. Going our tomorrow?? NSF

Warlockjer
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Just what Todd said....:)

skisupreme
07-07-2007, 03:19 PM
So lots of people on here are buying Tritoons, right now the top choices appear to be Playcraft and JC. What are the good and bad about those and Bennington? What does everyone recommend?

TCHB
07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I have a Bennington 25 with 225 HP Outboard and love the boat and have put on 242 hours in 2 1/2 summers.
There are a lot of great tripple toons out their but the Manatou is the suppose to be the fastest and best handling (test 2007).
You can not go wrong with tripple toon boats
HP is the same always go more
I/0 or outboard (pretty close to the same price)
Warranty is important (life time on a few boats decking)
Name Brand for resale
The interiors are up to the buyer!

TCHB
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Here is the comments on the test.
Performance Test 2007
We can sum this section up with one word: Wow!
There have been a select few companies in this industry that have successfully incorporated performance into their pontoon hull designs. Not only has Manitou done it with the 24 Osprey Pro, but they’ve done so in a unique fashion. Much of the credit goes to the unquestionable harmony between the design features of the boat’s three-log hull. We learned from company insiders that it took some serious field testing to perfect the boat’s uncanny ability to bank and turn on a dime, and it has certainly paid huge dividends.
Without stretching too far into hyperbole, we can safely say that in the history of our Shootout, no more than two or three boats have ever come close to the sharp-turning, steep-banking, splash-and-dash performance that we experienced on the 24 Osprey Pro. The Evinrude 225 E-TEC engine makes a perfect match with this multi-use performer. The boat just rockets out of the hole and hops on plane in no time. But even that feat pales compared to what we could accomplish into the sharpest corners. This boat seriously banks like a V-hull. In short, its exceptional one-two punch of power and control is just downright breathtaking.
Final Thoughts
The tail end of this test report says one thing, but what actually happened after the test just about says it all. Here’s the skinny:
The Osprey Pro and its dedicated Manitou crew stayed for nearly the entire duration of the Shootout, yet seldom did this boat stay at the dock any longer than to swap out its awe-struck passengers.
Look, we’re not just talking about Shootout test crew members or local bystanders. Even reps from competing manufacturers were hopping aboard. Surely Manitou’s final fuel bill was a scary slip of paper, but the buzz—and the total impression—has been undeniable. Manitou has pulled off something very special with this boat, and not surprisingly, it is now being incorporated into the company’s Legacy and Oasis lines as well. Hats off to you, Manitou. We’d dare say that you stole the show.

wildbillg
07-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Oh and if you lke wut you read here about these boats, "I SELL THEM". They do perform GREAT and unreal on the water! If you want to know more about them give me a call and we can talk about them or maybe even take you out for a demo on one if your ready to buy!
Check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuhQCEYC6uc
Here is the comments on the test.
Performance Test 2007
We can sum this section up with one word: Wow!
There have been a select few companies in this industry that have successfully incorporated performance into their pontoon hull designs. Not only has Manitou done it with the 24 Osprey Pro, but they’ve done so in a unique fashion. Much of the credit goes to the unquestionable harmony between the design features of the boat’s three-log hull. We learned from company insiders that it took some serious field testing to perfect the boat’s uncanny ability to bank and turn on a dime, and it has certainly paid huge dividends.
Without stretching too far into hyperbole, we can safely say that in the history of our Shootout, no more than two or three boats have ever come close to the sharp-turning, steep-banking, splash-and-dash performance that we experienced on the 24 Osprey Pro. The Evinrude 225 E-TEC engine makes a perfect match with this multi-use performer. The boat just rockets out of the hole and hops on plane in no time. But even that feat pales compared to what we could accomplish into the sharpest corners. This boat seriously banks like a V-hull. In short, its exceptional one-two punch of power and control is just downright breathtaking.
Final Thoughts
The tail end of this test report says one thing, but what actually happened after the test just about says it all. Here’s the skinny:
The Osprey Pro and its dedicated Manitou crew stayed for nearly the entire duration of the Shootout, yet seldom did this boat stay at the dock any longer than to swap out its awe-struck passengers.
Look, we’re not just talking about Shootout test crew members or local bystanders. Even reps from competing manufacturers were hopping aboard. Surely Manitou’s final fuel bill was a scary slip of paper, but the buzz—and the total impression—has been undeniable. Manitou has pulled off something very special with this boat, and not surprisingly, it is now being incorporated into the company’s Legacy and Oasis lines as well. Hats off to you, Manitou. We’d dare say that you stole the show.

wildbillg
07-07-2007, 05:48 PM
OH did I mention I sell boats???:) ;)

27 Awesome cat
07-07-2007, 05:50 PM
OH did I mention I sell boats???:) ;)
You do?:D

willowrat
07-07-2007, 06:04 PM
My neighbor has a 2005 22' Bennington (2 pontoons). Nice looking boat. Last summer during one of the monsoons he was idling outside of the Needles marina fighting the crowd to get off of the water. Chop was really bad. A big roller broke over the front of the boat. His daughter was sitting on one of those captains chairs on the bow of the boat and it threw her into the river. The water blew the sides out of the deck and many of the welds on the pontoons broke. He got it in OK and nobody was hurt but his boat spent 6 months at Boat Brokers getting warrenty repair. I do not know if it was a freak wave or poor quality. He said it was the worst he had ever saw it. I think a 3 toon boat is necessary.

wildbillg
07-07-2007, 07:13 PM
You do?:D
LoL sometimes I do and sometimes I dont...
Sorry I could nto get you a line a prop when you were down here..

TCHB
07-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I did not want to plug Bill but I did buy my boat from Boat Brokers and they matched price and have given me excellent service. My stereo went out and they replaced it in 2 hours on the spot.

syke-o
07-08-2007, 10:50 AM
so what are the going rates on the 24' manitou?? are they around the same price as the jc's?

wildbillg
07-08-2007, 11:27 AM
so what are the going rates on the 24' manitou?? are they around the same price as the jc's?
Actually they are less.....

Troubles No More
07-08-2007, 12:10 PM
http://www.goboatingamerica.com/boattests/DM_article.asp?id=3942
South Bay Pontoon, Top Speed 88 MPH!!!
.................................................. .................................................. ..........
Nice and Fast
Speed meets opulence on the new South Bay Luxury Performance 925 CTT IO
Go Boating Test Team
We’ve seen shiny exhaust pipes hinting at wicked horsepower poking out the stern of a pontoon boat before, but never before on a production model craft that’s available to all of us.
The brand-new South Bay 925 CTT IO Luxury Performance Series comes to us from Indiana-based Forest River Marine, which is the manufacturer of the popular Odyssey line of pontoon boats. The 925 CTT IO can be considered a step up in just about every direction.
The first talking point about the 925 CTT IO is that it is reported to have the world speed record for a single-engine pontoon at 60 mph.
This comes from the same company that is said to have the world speed record for a twin-engine pontoon at 88 mph.
While bragging rights abound in the speed department, there are other aspects of the 925 CTT IO worth looking at as well. As a craft that sits near the top of the South Bay line, you can expect bells and whistles aplenty. Some of the features that caught our eye include designer rails, stainless steel hardware, a refreshment center built into the forward helm, an oversized changing room and a raw-water washdown.
In the construction department, the continuous riser gives the craft a nice, clean look as well as improved rigidity, while the triple 25-inch diameter tubes, lifting strakes, underbelly splash shield and 16-inch cross-member spacing work to lend this craft a maximum horsepower of 425 -- that’s way up there for a ‘toon.
Performance
The first order of business, obviously, was to open the throttle wide and see how close we could get to 60 mph ourselves. According to Forest River Marine, the 60 mph record was achieved on calm water with one driver and a very light load of fuel. In our case, we had calm water, two people on board and a full tank of fuel (39 gallons -- about 244 lbs). For power we had a 425 hp 496 MAG HO MerCruiser with a Bravo Three X drive spinning a 19-inch set of three-blade dual props.
After trimming the craft out as much as we dared we were able to post a top speed of 56.9 mph on our GPS at 4,600 rpm. Not bad considering we were carrying at least 400 pounds more than when the 60 mph record was posted.
Satisfied with the craft’s straight-line performance, we banked the 925 CTT IO into a series of sharp S-turns. Thanks to electronic power assist steering it was easy to throw the craft into a tight corner with ease.
This craft had too much horsepower for what our fuel-flow meter could handle, but you can be sure that a big engine like this will likewise have a big appetite for fuel.
Slowing down to a cruising speed of 29 mph at 3,000 rpm yielded a comfortable ride with no vibrations or rattle -- our sound meter held right at 82 dBa while at cruising speed.
Overall
While the most attention-grabbing aspect of the South Bay Luxury Performance 925 CTT IO is its ability to satisfy that need for speed, it’s worth remembering that Forest River has also gone to great pains to create a comfortable and luxurious interior.
We’ve been on a lot of pontoons and we can say that in terms of lavishness and opulence, this ‘toon is at the upper end of the curve. With a price tag in excess of $53,000 for our test boat, you should have high expectations.
For those who aren’t so stuck on speed, you can still have the same boat with the same interior for considerably less with a smaller stern drive or outboard.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/SouthBay925_01_06_04.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/medium/SouthBay925_01_06_01.jpg

Classic Daycruiser
07-08-2007, 03:36 PM
How fast do you need to go with your family on board....
I hope tritoons have a better safety record than all these 26'+ crap semi-custom hulls that are falling apart during operation, (and being sold as a family boat).