PDA

View Full Version : Step/Ventilated Hulls

brwn234
07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I've heard that operating a step hull/ventilated hull is a little different than a traditional hull. Heard of people spining their boats under speed. Any tips or advise on learning to drive this type of hull without having any of these situations? I recently bought a '00 Donzi 22zx and it handles a bit differntly than other boats I've drive. thanks

Unforgiven
07-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I picked up a warlock thats stepped and vented...works well for me

FASTERDAMITT
07-04-2007, 08:46 PM
You should not have any handling issues with your Donzi. Most of the boats that spin out have very high drive hight which contributes to the loss of direction. What generally happens is the drive will momentarilly pop out of the water when turning, the same time the bow is going into a wave which steers the bow and whips the stern around towards the front. Be safe and use caution when turning, slow down. And Welcome to Hot Boat forums.

brwn234
07-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Good to hear, thanks for your reply. One more thing, stupid question, I think.... The trim tabs, I think they're set up backwards. The button on the left side operates the tab on the right the right operates the left tab. I dont think this is correct but I dont have any experience with these. It doesnt have a display to tell you they're position. I'm thinking about upgrading. Bennett makes a digital one. Are they're any other trim tab displays/indicators you guys have or suggest?

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
07-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Bluewater mechanical for tabs and drives.

mondorally
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Bluewater mechanical for tabs and drives.
I too suggest mechanical indicators. I had the Bennett electrical ones and they lit up like a slot machine, lights flashing, numbers spinning.... Granted, they were older but I still prefer the mechanical ones.
-Justin

FASTERDAMITT
07-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes, invest in mechanical that directly connects to the trim tabs by a cable. That way you really know where they are at when adjusting.

brwn234
07-05-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm definetley gonna look into getting those indicators. But what about the switches. I think they might be backwards. Left button controls the right tab and right button the left tab. Am I crazy or is this wrong?

Xlration Marine
07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
This might help you out.
Blowout: occurs when the ratio of air to water around the propeller gets so high that the propeller is no longer grabbing water, but is trying to propel itself through air (or a relative vacuum). This causes the propeller to lose "bite", and then a chain of events occurs that can range from merely a "loose" steering feeling, to a vicious turn to the right (typically). The speed at which this occurs varies with boat design, gear case design, and propeller design.

FASTERDAMITT
07-05-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm definetley gonna look into getting those indicators. But what about the switches. I think they might be backwards. Left button controls the right tab and right button the left tab. Am I crazy or is this wrong?
I would think they are backwards. You have two rocker switch's next to each other correct? On mine right is the right tab ect..

WopOnWater
07-05-2007, 09:22 PM
The switches are supposed to operate that way. The concept is if you need the right side of the boat to change you use the right switch which operates the the left tab and vise versa.

Powerquestboy
07-06-2007, 06:59 AM
The switches are supposed to operate that way. The concept is if you need the right side of the boat to change you use the right switch which operates the the left tab and vise versa.
This is correct your tabs are operating the way they are suppose to. You most likely have Bennett tabs. They operate on what you want the bow of the boat to do ie. If you want the port side bow down you press the port top switch and it drops the starboard tab in. Its is a goofy set up at best. My Sunsation is the same way and I rewired mine to work like normal tabs do. As far as a stepped hull there are different ways to turn it verses a non stepped. In a non step you can tuck the drive all the way in and turn hard. If you do this with a stepped hull it will make the bow steer and prop blow out like others have said. My new boat is a stepped hull and I'm just concious about not turning too fast and keep the drive trimmed out when I turn. Get some seat time and you will get use to it. If you want to test how fast you can turn wear your kill switch landyard. good luck Donzi's are sweet

TPI
07-07-2007, 06:15 AM
The key to operating a step bottom is having the right amount of weight distribution throughout the boat. In my most recent trip to powell, I had the best speed results by adding weight over the transom,,,,,,,,,,,,,see pic below:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Powell_07_107m_1_.jpg

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
07-07-2007, 09:49 AM
GARY THAT IS CLASSIC.Where is the trolling motor mounted ?

Lavey29
07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
The key to operating a step bottom is having the right amount of weight distribution throughout the boat. In my most recent trip to powell, I had the best speed results by adding weight over the transom,,,,,,,,,,,,,see pic below:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Powell_07_107m_1_.jpg
Hey Gary are those bass or stripers? I was out at Havasu last week trying to teach my 3 year old a little fishing. Bought her a 5 dollar pink barbie poll and threw it 10 feet out off Winsor beach at 700pm with a piece of bread on the line. Trying to catch a little blue gill and a 10 pound catfish got on the line. Took almost all the line out from the poll and I had to pull it in by hand and then reel. Epic 10 minute battle to get that thing to the beach and my kid yelled "it's a whale" and ran away scared...Broke the damn barbie poll too... :D

TPI
07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Thats awesome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, great story.:D
Well, You are right about both,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They are striped bass AKA "Stripers". Nothing near 10 lbs though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the biggest caught on this morning was 4 lbs.
We caught over 50 fish with our ventilated step hull(just trying to keep the thread on track).