PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Bay, CA (Delta) Living Experience?

ElimJimsOtherHalf
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Just got a magazine saying how nice this place is, and when I researched, for on-the-water homes, the prices aren't too bad (compared to So. Calif).
So what are the pros/cons? Is it even possible to live here and work in say, Pleasanton (traffic issues?)
Just want the lowdown for building a future 'retirement relocation' list.
Thanks.

Wet Dream
07-05-2007, 09:58 AM
The Pros: You're out of SoCal
The Cons: You're still in CA

DCBob
07-05-2007, 10:14 AM
The Pros: You're out of SoCal
The Cons: You're still in CA
What he said :D :D :D

Warlockjer
07-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I lived in Discovery Bay before moving to Havasu. I worked in Oakland and drove that every day. 580 thru Pleasanton SUCKS and then you get on Vasco road, might as well bring a good book. Property values are down from a couple of years ago. I got out at a decent time. Commute was really getting to me. My wife and I do not miss it one bit. Good luck in what ever you decide:)

SummerBreeze
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
traffic

Boatmaster
07-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I have lived in Disco for 8 years and love it. Working in Pleasanton work give you a 1 hour drive. I work in Dublin and don't think the drive is that bad. I am not a big delta fan, but I get on the water more than most and it is great on the week days and or winter.

Warlockjer
07-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey Boatmaster, when I moved to Disco Bay that same commute was about 1/2 hour. It is only going to get worse. We are staying in Bethel Island for a couple of weeks and refuse to go in to P-town till the weekend. You are right about being on the water during the week tho and I was lucky enough to get off work at 2:30 so was just ahead of the traffic........Fridays forget about it. Sometimes it would take 2 hours from Oakland:mad:

Cas
07-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't even want to talk about Discovery Bay. I had the chance to buy a house in 1980, on the water with it's own dock but I couldn't swing the $79,500.00 purchase price. I had 15% downpayment but couldn't afford the extra $700.00 per month for a 2nd house payment. Same house is probably $1M + by now.
And they are right, 580 traffic sucks big time!

Roaddogg 4040
07-05-2007, 01:54 PM
The one biggest problem that I have seen with everyone that I know that has moved out there is the Fog during the winter. It can be incessent and seem to never go away. The traffic is the the second problem.
Other that that, lot's of people seem to like living in the Delta thou...
Steve

ElimJimsOtherHalf
07-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Dealing with 91 traffic, last thing we want to see is 'more traffic'.