PDA

View Full Version : carlisle tires suck

OC28HEAT
07-06-2007, 06:44 AM
I picked up the boat yesterday from Absolute and on the drive back to bullhead I lost the center tire on the starbord side. This is the second blowout on Carlise tires. they have already replaced the tires for defect once but i am tires of it. what is the best brand of trailer tires?
By the way I had my tire replaced at fast freddys at the truck stop for $180.00

AirtimeLavey
07-06-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm having good luck with Maxxis tires. Have only heard good things about them, too. http://www.maxxis.com/products/trailer/overview.asp

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2007, 07:56 AM
I've had good luck with the Towmaster "E" rated (10 ply) tires.

boater72
07-06-2007, 08:01 AM
That's the trick"" E" rated (10 ply) tires"

AZJD
07-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Is it towmaster, ot trailmaster?
I have made the switch from radial to bias ply too! Seem to last longer in heat.

Outnumbered
07-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Greenball Towmaster. Trail Master is a re-branded Goodyear I believe.

PHOTOGLOU
07-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Is it the same tire position that keeps blwing??? If so check your hub if it is heating up it will heat the tire expand and blow it... I know this from experience... Good luck... Jay

SummitKarl
07-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Is it the same tire position that keeps blwing??? If so check your hub if it is heating up it will heat the tire expand and blow it... I know this from experience... Good luck... Jay
or a bent hub from hitting a curb:idea:

DMOORE
07-06-2007, 09:00 AM
+1. They work great for me .
BTW I would NEVER run Carlisle. EVERY person that I know that USED to run them, has had catastrophic failures with them. Not one runs them on their trailers anymore. One buddy had 3 blowouts in one trip to Gordons. Tires were less than a year old and properly inflated. Carlisle ended up paying for repairs to his trailer.
Darrell.

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I also keep them inflated to 80PSI...they run cooler.
I too had Carlisle probems on my old trailer...damn thing blew and took out my brakes.

bohica
07-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I had 2 blowouts on the way home from Powell last week. Goodyear Marathons that were 2.5 years old that are always properly inflated and doesn't see a lot of towing, only a Powell trip every year and local trips to the ramp in Havasu.
I've come to the conclusion that 2 years is the max I'll get out of trailer tires. I had to stop of in Henderson on the way home and bought 6 new of the only tire I could find, Greenball Towmasters.

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2007, 09:19 AM
I've come to the conclusion that 2 years is the max I'll get out of trailer tires.
Mine also seem to be lasting longer with the boat stored indoors. I think the UV rays were not making them happy.

Spotondl
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Had 2 blowouts on the way home from Moabi a couple of years ago... running Carlisle's... POS's There was a huge recall several years ago...
Towmasters from here on out...

bohica
07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Mine also seem to be lasting longer with the boat stored indoors. I think the UV rays were not making them happy.
Mine is always stored indoors. It's the dam tire scrub you get with the triple axel trailers. Everytime I make the turn to pull into the garage, I can see the layer of rubber on the ground from the tire scrub. Wish I had the option of ordering a dual 7.5K axel with 16" wheels trailer.

OC28HEAT
07-06-2007, 10:28 AM
different wheel. boat stored indoors presur set at 45 mx pressure is 50

Outnumbered
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
different wheel. boat stored indoors presur set at 45 mx pressure is 50
Always run max pressure or a few lbs higher like 55# if you are anywhere near your tire's rated weight. Less heat=less chance of throwing a tread. Those tires are probably rated at about 1,800 lbs each so if you are anywhere near 7,200 lbs loaded (including trailer) you are really stressing the tires.

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Mine is always stored indoors. It's the dam tire scrub you get with the triple axel trailers. Everytime I make the turn to pull into the garage, I can see the layer of rubber on the ground from the tire scrub. Wish I had the option of ordering a dual 7.5K axel with 16" wheels trailer.
You should be happy with those Towmasters. I have triples and my boat is 13,000+ lbs on the trailer...they have held up well. My Towmasters leave lots of rubber in tight turns, too....but there's not much I can do about it.
A dually trailer sure would be nice. Dan had one under his Skater, and that trailer was one of the easiest I ever pulled.

Double A
07-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Another vote for Maxxis, have had good luck with them.

Biglue
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Towmasters here. I'm on my 2nd set and never had a problem on the road. I did however walk out to a falt once that was replaced on the spot. That was however towards the end of the life on the first set.

Holland
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Is your trailer triples? are they too much for triple axle? If there is such n issue?

H20 Toie
07-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Yep this is probably the 20th thread about how bad Carlisle tires are

BigDogIvan
07-06-2007, 12:08 PM
I have Towmasters that 2 of them are 7 yeras old and just starting to show some issues. Personaly I don't know why anyone would run radial trailer tires. Go 10ply bias and save your self a lot of headaches.

2Driver
07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Towmaster V by Greenball seem to be one of the best radials. I have them and so far so good. I have also run the Towmaster bias. The Manager at Discount Tire told me that when you run over 65 MPH you can expect eventual trouble with any trailer tire.
Change them out after 2 years no matter what. My Goodyear Marathons where almost full tread when they blew but they were 3 years old. I also try to move my tires 180 degrees if it sits more than 3 or 4 months. Just push the boat slight forward in the garage to keep the flat spots down.

GN2RVR
07-07-2007, 07:02 AM
contact carlisle and they will pay you for you new tires and damages!

catman-do
07-07-2007, 07:09 AM
I also had carlisle tires on my old toy hauler and they had two blowouts in one trip. It did some damage to the side of the trailer and the fenders. they sent new tires and rims, however didnt pay to fix the trailer.

CARLSON-JET
07-07-2007, 07:46 AM
There are two versions of the carlisle tires... one is made in the USA or canada. The other in China. The price diffrence is about 5 to 10 bucks per tire. I have had carlisle tires ( North American version) and they have been great. I have about 15-20K on them. and it has been 5 years. No sign of any problems. I think it would be helpful to find out where these tires that are failing are made. I read some stuff about RV's and the chinese carlisle tires. Not good news. R.B.

Throttle
07-07-2007, 08:33 AM
I am sure to see one go bad soon someday... cuz mine have been good for two years... maybe cuz they get used alot...
i know lots of you guys have several problems with em and that sucks... :mad:

Zimm944
07-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Does anyone have a tire place in Havasu that sells complete trailer tires. I have a big tow coming up in Sept and do not have a spare. Thanks for the help