PDA

View Full Version : Auto A/C Question

talkinghead
07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
So I am checking the AC on my Excursion - the AC does not feel too cold these days.
I buy a recharge unit with a gauge on it that has basically 3 areas: charge needed, OK, and overcharged - and there are some pressure markings.
When I 1st put the gauge on it's in the overcharged area (barely), then after a bout 5 minutes it pulls down to 'charge needed'.
Basically, which reading do I trust - when I 1st put the gauge on or after a few minutes?
I have the AC running at max during the check.
Thanks...

Dribble
07-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Trust the second one.

TCHB
07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Run the system and then get the reading.

Zaairman
07-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I've never had good luck with those systems... They're leaky and unreliable. Your best bet is to take it to a shop and have the system checked out. Probably just needs some freon added. I just had my ENTIRE system filled and leak checked for $95.

SummitKarl
07-07-2007, 04:56 PM
So I am checking the AC on my Excursion - the AC does not feel too cold these days.
I buy a recharge unit with a gauge on it that has basically 3 areas: charge needed, OK, and overcharged - and there are some pressure markings.
When I 1st put the gauge on it's in the overcharged area (barely), then after a bout 5 minutes it pulls down to 'charge needed'.
Basically, which reading do I trust - when I 1st put the gauge on or after a few minutes?
Thanks...
Dont try this yourself (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2636766&postcount=2):rolleyes: :hammer2::idea:

talkinghead
07-07-2007, 05:04 PM
This does not seem to be a vacuum or other serious problem, just low on refrigerant 134A...I figure it should be owner servicable.
But I guess for $100 bucks or so it's better to get it done correctly.

YeLLowBoaT
07-07-2007, 05:06 PM
if you think its leaking... look around all the connections and compressor. look for a small bit of oil around the fittings... thats where it is leaking.

Jbb
07-07-2007, 05:09 PM
It shouldn't just ....be low.......If it is low....its leaking.....if the leak is not fixed....it's gonna be low .....again..

Invisible Sun
07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
It shouldn't just ....be low.......If it is low....its leaking.....if the leak is not fixed....it's gonna be low .....again..
I second that!
S

craiginlaverne
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
With Ac in mind, where is a good place to get my AC recharged(2002 F350). Can anybody out there hook me up?????

talkinghead
07-07-2007, 05:45 PM
The dilemma: spend 50 bucks or so to get the system charged and it's good for a few years. Or spend god only knows how much to find the leak(s), fix it - and hope it still doesn't leak anyway....

KLEPTOW
07-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks...
Go to Auto Zone and buy the CD on servicing auto A/C systems it's worth 9 or 10 bucks.
But to answer your question they both matter, combined they will tell if your system is charged enough and if is cycling properly.

TCHB
07-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I have added freon to many cars over the years and it has worked great. A can every year (5 minutes) no big deal and worth a try.

RitcheyRch
07-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Had a leak in my A/C system on my daily driver. It was losing enough freon that the system kept cycling on and off. Best to take to someone and have it completely checked out.

Xlration Marine
07-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't forget to change the Hepa filter???Inside da cab.

talkinghead
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
HEPA in an Excursion? Never heard of that. Where in the world is that located?
But on further research it does seem that the compressor is engaging and then the gauge indicates that a charge is needed.
When the compressor is not engaged, the system charge level reads OK.

Hal
07-07-2007, 08:56 PM
It's low on charge, go ahead and put a lb of 134A in the system. You need to add the refrigerant to the low side of the compressor while its running. If its a small leak it should last you a while. Next time you feel your a/c compressor cycling more than it should its low again. A lb may get you going for a year or more if its a small leak.
If the charge only last a month or so its time to find and fix the leak.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-08-2007, 06:59 AM
When I 1st put the gauge on it's in the overcharged area (barely), ...
This is just as the system gets started, before it stabilizes running. Forget this pressure reading.
then after a bout 5 minutes it pulls down to 'charge needed'....
This is when the system is at stasis, pay attention to this reading.
It should not take 5 minuites to pull this reading down, unless the system is cycling on and off from very excessively low pressure. More like 1 minuite.
Also, if the system cycles on and off while running, the pressure is too low to hold the low pressure safety switch closed, and it will have to be "jumpered" to bypass it and keep the compressor clutch engaged

talkinghead
07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
It should not take 5 minuites to pull this reading down, unless the system is cycling on and off from very excessively low pressure. More like 1 minuite.
It was more like 1 minute.

sponger_2
07-08-2007, 09:53 AM
HEPA in an Excursion? Never heard of that. Where in the world is that located?
But on further research it does seem that the compressor is engaging and then the gauge indicates that a charge is needed.
When the compressor is not engaged, the system charge level reads OK.
ex's dont have cabin filters.