PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Interior on a Cole

waterluvr
07-08-2007, 04:55 AM
I am looking at a mid 90's Cole Nighthawk and really the boat except for one feature. It has a cloth interior. It is not vinyl like I am used to and I was wondering if anyone has had expereince with this type of interior. I would think that it would soak up water. Also, how do they wear? Are they hot to sit on?
Thanks

Xlration Marine
07-08-2007, 05:22 AM
Water isn't the issue with the tweed interiors of the 90's. The sun is the problem. It's to bad that it doesn't hold up, I loved it in my boats. It dry's out fast and look great, and doesn't show pin holes. I used it in mine when I was building them, most were in the 90's. But sitting on the dealerships lot for just one month in the sun and it would start to look bad and get weak. I have some seats that I took out of a 94 and the backs look like new, only because the sun didn't beat on it. It's the tops that are in the direct sun light that take the beating, and not very good. I like it but it's not good for Az living.

coolchange
07-08-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm redoing a Hallet now with tweed. Head rests, hatch, cushion. The guy bought a load of extra material knowing it would be an issue. Another friend has it also. One year I re-do the front, next year I re-do the rear bench. But they love it and just concider it scheduled maintanence. These boats also see very little use. Not only UV but gas fumes and heat break down some of these materials. Marquesalana (?sp) is the worst and says not for auto or marine right on the sample boards. The blue the Coles used was pretty good(thats what the Hallet I'm doin now has.) If thats the original interior it's probably done by Kenny Perkins. Like X said they dry really fast, where a vinyl seat will always havve moisture in it.

Xlration Marine
07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
It is nice stuff. Dry's fast and you don't fry your ash when it's sitting in the 126 degree sun in Havi. Better suited for N. Cali.
Pst. you might want to fix the extra 'v' in "have" be fur the grammer police get itt.

coolchange
07-08-2007, 10:46 AM
It is nice stuff. Dry's fast and you don't fry your ash when it's sitting in the 126 degree sun in Havi. Better suited for N. Cali.
Pst. you might want to fix the extra 'v' in "have" be fur the grammer police get itt.
I''m trollin for a syntax battle! :devil: :D

Craig
07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
1996, I put a marine cloth interior in my old Kachina jetboat. Plus side was that it was never real hot and you couldn't see stains as easy. Downside, when you were banging around the lake without a shirt on, it would tend to rub you a bit on the back. Just throw a towel over it if it was going to be rough out.
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/Kachina/interior2.jpg
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/Kachina/boatinterior3.jpg

GAWnCA
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
1996, I put a marine cloth interior in my old Kachina jetboat. Plus side was that it was never real hot and you couldn't see stains as easy. {{ SNIPPED}}
Now where can you find the best supplier of marine fabric? SunBrella is the only place I've found so far.

Big Inch
08-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I had it in my 90's advantage and loved it except the sun does tear it up. It stays cool, comfortable to sit on, easy to keep clean, and lots of other benefits but if it's going to sit outside much I would not recommend it.

Xlration Marine
08-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Now where can you find the best supplier of marine fabric? SunBrella is the only place I've found so far.
Thats cuz it's not for marine use, check the automotive stuff. And thats why it dosen't last. As I recall they state that they will not warrenty the material for marine use. B luvin the lines of that cole deck. YUMMY.

coolchange
08-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Sunbrella makes true outdoor fabrics and has a lot of new designer type cloth.
Some of it I might call a yachting cloth. I'm not that familiar with the new stuff but there's some nice patterns.
Marine vinyl is designated as such.
These boats with cloth and tweed DO NOT have marine cloth in them. Most arer not rated for even automotive use. Some of them say right on the sample boards "NOT FOR MARINE OR AUTOMOTIVE USE" because people were trying to recoup thier money after a huge failure rate. Keystone bros. has probably the best selection of materials and carries the Sunbrella line.

coolchange
08-02-2007, 07:07 PM
BTW XLmarine types faster than me!:D

GAWnCA
08-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll check out Keystone bros. Sunbrella doesn't sell to the public.