PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Attorney

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Anyone used a traffic attorney? I found a guy online, seems like he knows what he is doing. He wants $2800 up front, win or lose. The ticket is for 101MPH and I will probably lose my license for 30 days If I don't use him. Any recommendations?
Thanx in advance.
Eric

Jordy
07-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, slow down!!! :D :D :D

Screemy1
07-09-2007, 10:47 AM
30 days is not much.... it goes by fast... i lost mine for 30 days back in 1997 for 147 in a 65.... I was on a street bike.... the fine and 30 days was not bad.... the hit on my insurance sucked! worse then a dui... screw the attorney.... you look like you are trying to get out of it.... go to court, admit to your mistake, explain you realize the danger you were to every one and be polite.... take the punishment and move on..... I spent the 30 days getting rides.... it is not hard.

lucky
07-09-2007, 10:48 AM
claim you had your spedo set to KM lol take the 30 day loss and try not to get caught :)

Screemy1
07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
oh yeah.... slow down, I learned my lesson.... if I want to fly at those speeds... I go out to the middle of nowhere.... but still not the smartest thing.... 101 is not that bad....kinda sucks to get that one....

reDECKulous
I was thinking about just taking it, but I already have two points in the last year. That would make 4 points and I would probably lose it for longer than 30 days.

AZJD
Anyone used a traffic attorney? I found a guy online, seems like he knows what he is doing. He wants $2800 up front, win or lose. The ticket is for 101MPH and I will probably lose my license for 30 days If I don't use him. Any recommendations?
Thanx in advance.
Eric
Is it your only offense?
What was the posted speed limit and what did they write you for? Reckless or criminal speed?

Biglue
07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I'll only charge you $2500. Slow down, you're gonna lose your license for 30 days......There.
How should I bill you? :D :D

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
They just wrote me up for 101 excess of 100MPH

Mrs. Restless22
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
If you already have 2 points, and this is gonna give you another 2, your insurance is going to be more then the attorneys fees for 3 years. :o
If you think he can get it cleared off your record, might be worth it $$$ to use him.

AZJD
07-09-2007, 10:55 AM
They just wrote me up for 101 excess of 100MPH
DO NOT HIRE AN ATTORNEY! You will get a slap on the wrist. $700 -900 dollar fine and probably won't lose your license. If they are going to suspend it, they will likely do it for 6 months to a year and make you petition the court to get it back. Not likely with that ticket.
I got a 112 in a 75, which is reckless, however he wrote it as a criminal speed and didn't take me to jail. Did not suspend my license or do anything other than fine me.

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
That is what I was thinking.
Has anyone had their license suspended for 4 or more points in a year? If so, what happened?
If you already have 2 points, and this is gonna give you another 2, your insurance is going to be more then the attorneys fees for 3 years. :o
If you think he can get it cleared off your record, might be worth it $$$ to use him.

AZJD
07-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Has anyone had their license suspended for 4 or more points in a year? If so, what happened?
I had 7 on mine until last year. Until you exceed the total allowed, which I believe to be 7 or 8 they will not suspend it, unless it's for a DUI.
Your going to be fine.
Were you on a residential street or the highway?

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I was on the highway around Palm Springs. However, I received a warning letter from the DMV a month ago because I had two points in the last year, this would make two more, four total. They say four in one year is a suspension.
Eric
I had 7 on mine until last year. Until you exceed the total allowed, which I believe to be 7 or 8 they will not suspend it, unless it's for a DUI.
Your going to be fine.

sdpm
07-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Get ahold of Paris Hilton's spokeshole. Plead insanity. Fall on the floor and start crying. If all else fails tell the judge No say habla Engles and then start crying!;)

AZJD
07-09-2007, 11:15 AM
I was on the highway around Palm Springs. However, I received a warning letter from the DMV a month ago because I had two points in the last year, this would make two more, four total. They say four in one year is a suspension.
Eric
Dunno! I think we get 7 here in Az

centerhill condor
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I had a similar experience several years ago...115 in a 70 and wrote the court clerk a check didn't go to court got a "nastygram" from the state and was good for a year or two.
Funny thing was on the same day I was in court for 115 I was in court that morning in the same county different town for 90.
The dedicated public servants that run the 90 court didn't report to the state for 2 years...and only after a state audit.
You might get lucky. The reality is that these kinds of speeds are much better suited for the track than the street.
My advice, go to court give them the "doh" look and act penetent...I suggest a coat and tie..If the judge pulls your ticket it'll be easier hitchiking.
And why did you pull over anyway? I didn't know the cops where chasing me until I took off my helmet!
You live, you learn, you fight another day! consider yourself lucky you didn't get the "full treatment"...handcuffs, bond, nightstick, etc.
This might be the one that teaches you how "not worth it" it is...
Good luck and keep us posted.

Smokin Joe
07-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I went to court 2 weeks ago in Victorville with my daughter who received a ticket doing 103 coming home from Vegas as this is a mandatory appearance. I went to the link below and purchased his information and we were the most prepared people there.
All people present had shit ass excuses and shoot from the hip bullshit, the judge tares you a new one and gives you three options pay the fine, make payments or community service. It would be a good idea for you to visit traffic court you are assigned to and just sit in and take notes and see what you’re up against. Then make the call if you need an attorney since you already have 2 points and have a lot to loose. I guess you are familiar with the process since you went threw it once already.
Getting back to my daughter she was ready to defend herself but the best case scenario happened the hwy patrol officer did not show up and he did not file a continuance, she walked away and we did hi fives in the hall. But the judge gave her a stern warning as you are guilty and you have to prove your innocence or find a technicality to drop your case. Good luck
joe
http://www.speedticketbeaters.com/Home_Page.html

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I didn't know you could win a "mandatory court" ticket if the officer doesn't show up.
Eric
I went to court 2 weeks ago in Victorville with my daughter who received a ticket doing 103 coming home from Vegas as this is a mandatory appearance. I went to the link below and purchased his information and we were the most prepared people there.
All people present had shit ass excuses and shoot from the hip bullshit, the judge tares you a new one and gives you three options pay the fine, make payments or community service. It would be a good idea for you to visit traffic court you are assigned to and just sit in and take notes and see what you’re up against. Then make the call if you need an attorney since you already have 2 points and have a lot to loose. I guess you are familiar with the process since you went threw it once already.
Getting back to my daughter she was ready to defend herself but the best case scenario happened the hwy patrol officer did not show up and he did not file a continuance, she walked away and we did hi fives in the hall. But the judge gave her a stern warning as you are guilty and you have to prove your innocence or find a technicality to drop your case. Good luck
joe
http://www.speedticketbeaters.com/Home_Page.html

UltraStealth
07-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanx in advance.
Eric
Try http://www.ticketbust.com/
My buddy has gotten out of several tickets using it. It's a hundred bucks and if you lose you get your money back. You just need to be prepared to go to court if need be.

PHOTOGLOU
07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Your going to be fine.
Your in AZ Cal is very strict.... Probation... 30 day loss for over 100 Then 90 day for 4 points.... 2 more points in the next year will result in 6 months.... plus violation of probation.... Talk to a couple other attys also before paying a retainer... What county do you have to appear in???

TRUMP TIGHT
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, i have had mine suspended 3 times. 2 of those were for points. If the dmv suspends it it will be at least 6 months. If the court does it ask them to allow you to go to work and they most likley will. The dmv has a process to do this as well. Remember it is all up to the judge and they could have a good day or a bad one.
Good luck!

Kilrtoy
07-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Bunch of arm chair lawyers in this place
you actually think a cop wont show up when he wrote you for 22348B

Beer-30
07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I was in court one day and there was a guy that had a ticket for 106, normal freeway not 2-lane. He hired an attorney that was real pleasant and asked the judge to reduce to no suspension and just pay full fine ($1500 for that county).
Judge said no. He would reduce to $900 but retain the 30-day.
She asked if they could pay $2000 and knock off the suspension. He replied no, that the suspension was happening - regardless.
He then got tired of her and left it at $1500 with the 30-day suspension.
Last I heard, for a conviction of 22348(B), pretty much everywhere was suspension - period. Fines change from court to court. Therefore, I would not pay a dime to an attorney and just beg for reduced fine and maybe a 15-day suspension.

Boozer
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I've never used an attorney and have gotten a lot of sh*t reduced.
Suspensions suck. Expect your insurance premiums to sky rocket and your current carrier to completely drop you if you are using someone like allstate or state farm.
I had something like 12 tickets, 2 accidents, and 3 suspensions in a period of 2 years. I got an insurance renewal letter at one point saying that my insurance premiums were going to be almost $15,000 for a 6 month policy :eek: :eek: .
My suggestion... Deal with it yourself, bite the bullet, take your punishment, and slow the fawk down. I'm glad I did. Not only do I have more money in my pocket due to less fines but I also have a HELL of a lot more money in my wallet due to my cheap insurance rates, good driver discounts are awesome!

Cole Trickle
07-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I think I would avoid paying the lawer fees and save the $$ for higher insurance premiums.
100+ is a next to impossible ticket to beat and the courts/judges don't like them.
Like stated earlier most preffered Insurance companies will non renew you ASAP. (Ins companies hate 100+ tickets)
Depending on your age and past record I think you will be able to keep your license after the initial suspension. My brother had 5-7 tickets on his record in a 1-2 year period and the judge let him keep his license after a court hearing.(All Sport Bike Tickets)
Just curious....how fast were you going?:confused: :D

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 12:31 PM
That is what I am thinking. But I know the DMV suspends it after 4 points in a year, which is where I will be at. I am leaning toward the attorney though. I was going 101. My truck governs out at 95MPH... but apparently I was going 101.
I think I would avoid paying the lawer fees and save the $$ for higher insurance premiums.
100+ is a next to impossible ticket to beat and the courts/judges don't like them.
Like stated earlier most preffered Insurance companies will non renew you ASAP. (Ins companies hate 100+ tickets)
Depending on your age and past record I think you will be able to keep your license after the initial suspension. My brother had 5-7 tickets on his record in a 1-2 year period and the judge let him keep his license after a court hearing.(All Sport Bike Tickets)
Just curious....how fast were you going?:confused: :D

Jyruiz
07-09-2007, 12:37 PM
That is what I am thinking. But I know the DMV suspends it after 4 points in a year, which is where I will be at. I am leaning toward the attorney though. I was going 101. My truck governs out at 95MPH... but apparently I was going 101.
I don't know if it will help, but take proof that your trucks governor kick in at 95mph and you don't see how you could have gone over 100mph.

ratso
07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't know if it will help, but take proof that your trucks governor kick in at 95mph and you don't see how you could have gone over 100mph.
...that really pisses me off when I'm trying to run from the cops.:D

Cole Trickle
07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Do you have stock tires on your truck?
Any programming?
Pretty sure most new trucks are goverened at 98 MPH. Bigger tires reduces gearing and would increase your top speed.

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
That is what I have been thinking from day 1.

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Bigger tires 37's.... that might be throwing it off.
Do you have stock tires on your truck?
Any programming?
Pretty sure most new trucks are goverened at 98 MPH. Bigger tires reduces gearing and would increase your top speed.

SJP
07-09-2007, 12:53 PM
35s on my truck and it is 7-8 mph off

Cole Trickle
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Bigger tires 37's.... that might be throwing it off.
I had a lowered truck with 18's and low pros that used to hit the governer at 91mph/speedo said 99....kinda sucked
37's with stock programming isn't gonna hold up in court as you were going over 100;)

HokeySon
07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
If it were me in your situation, I would hire a lawyer whose is very familiar with both the jurisdiction and the law -- and I am a lawyer.
While these are relatively minor matters, suspension would be a big deal to me, so I would do whatever I could to avoid it. I doubt there is anyway to get out of it on your own. I don't think I coud get out of it on my own.
Also, the idea that you are going to go in there all sorry and get leniency doesn't ring true to me. There is no such thing as "guilty with an explanation." You're just one of the people in line in the same position --admitting the crime, but trying to get out of the punishment.
Knowledge of the Court and the law are very important. I have some experince with infraction/misdemeanor court because some of my business clients get administrative violations sometimes and they are assigned to the same courts. You need to be in these courts to understand how they work. If you don't, you are an outsider that gets NO help.
If you hire a lawyer that knows the system and players, he can get valuable information on the judge's proceedures and sentencing among other things. You also will get a real judge, or at least a commissioner. If you go it alone, most likely you will be standing in the cattle call to appear before an attorney who volunteers to be a judge pro tem (but judges pro tem cannot hear cases where the defendant is represented by counsel). To me, that is reason enough to have a lawyer because I don't think much of the volunteers I have seen.
Anyway, personally, I wouldn't bother to fight a ticket unless I really felt it was wrong or the punishment was very severe (like suspending my license). Since, this is a pretty sever punishment, I would do whatever I could to avoid the punishment and it seems to me that your best chance of doing so is with counsel. But that's just my opinion.

Smokin Joe
07-09-2007, 01:07 PM
"I didn't know you could win a "mandatory court" ticket if the officer doesn't show up."
Yes her ticket was dismissed very very lucky. There were about 10 people there that the hwy patrol officer did not appear out of 50 or so. One of those people did not show also and was issued a bench warrant and $500 fine.
There was one guy that was ticketed for doing 150mph on a motorcycle he was basically claiming it was not him, it pissed the judge off and was asked to produce his drivers license then ordered him to give it to the bailiff suspended 30 days and $800 fine

HokeySon
Editted to delete the dreaded delayed double post.

reDECKulous
I appreciate the help. I spoke with an attorney earlier this morning that I feel pretty confident in. I don't think I have any chance going in there myself. This is a serious matter, seeing how I already have 2 points and the $3000 to hire an attorney isn't really a big deal.... as long as I win :) haha
If it were me in your situation, I would hire a lawyer whose is very familiar with both the jurisdiction and the law -- and I am a lawyer.
While these are relatively minor matters, suspension would be a big deal to me, so I would do whatever I could to avoid it. I doubt there is anyway to get out of it on your own. I don't think I coud get out of it on my own.
Also, the idea that you are going to go in there all sorry and get leniency doesn't ring true to me. There is no such thing as "guilty with an explanation." You're just one of the people in line in the same position --admitting the crime, but trying to get out of the punishment.
Knowledge of the Court and the law are very important. I have some experince with infraction/misdemeanor court because some of my business clients get administrative violations sometimes and they are assigned to the same courts. You need to be in these courts to understand how they work. If you don't, you are an outsider that gets NO help.
If you hire a lawyer that knows the system and players, he can get valuable information on the judge's proceedures and sentencing among other things. You also will get a real judge, or at least a commissioner. If you go it alone, most likely you will be standing in the cattle call to appear before an attorney who volunteers to be a judge pro tem (but judges pro tem cannot hear cases where the defendant is represented by counsel). To me, that is reason enough to have a lawyer because I don't think much of the volunteers I have seen.
Anyway, personally, I wouldn't bother to fight a ticket unless I really felt it was wrong or the punishment was very severe (like suspending my license). Since, this is a pretty sever punishment, I would do whatever I could to avoid the punishment and it seems to me that your best chance of doing so is with counsel. But that's just my opinion.

blacksheepvictor
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I think I read the thread throughly enough. Did you say how the cop caught you speeding? Radar, pacing, laser ect?

reDECKulous
07-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Radar and airplane

Old school Ultra
07-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Here is my recommendation to you.....
Go to court accept the responsibility for your actions, Ask the judge for a work only license.....
And hope for the best

rrrr
07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Bunch of arm chair lawyers in this place
you actually think a cop wont show up when he wrote you for 22348B
Yeah! Some guys go their entire career and don't get to write up anything worse than a 21955.
:D :D

HokeySon
07-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah! Some guys go their entire career and don't get to write up anything worse than a 21955.
:D :D
Funny, LA's finest sometimes sit just off the entrance to the downtown court and write tickets to folks in suits (lawyers) for crossing to get to one of the parking garages. I have seen it probably 100 times and still chuckle when I see some dumbass step off the curb instead of walking 100 yards to the corner. Obviously revenge motivated ;) Still very funny.