PDA

View Full Version : Promotional Ideas?

Uniqueperformancewest
07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey Guys,
Im working on promoting the Adrenaline Powerboats line I sell, and would like any ideas my fellow forum member might have to help promote this boats. Does anyone know of any good events to take them to, or a good place that I can take them to promote them on the weekends etc. I have had ideas about taking them to various car dealerships maybe on the weekend to promote them, not sure if i could make that work or not though. Also I have thought about putting up a banner on my truck and then pulling the boats around down by the coast to grab attention.
I would like some of your ideas from the people who have purchased boats. I really need to move the two boats I have in inventory to put some orders in and insure I have a large number of boats and models at the LA boat show in January.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciate and I thank everyone in advance.
Thanks John
Unique Performance West, Inc.
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

yopengo
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Being the nice guy I am…why don’t you lend me one for the rest of the summer with a really small…I mean nice for sale sign and I will drive it all over Havasu every weekend for you… so you can get some publicity. ;) :D

yopengo
07-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I would hit some local races and performance events. I know that there are lots of track events at El Toro marine base. Hit any hot rod events. Try the Ski races. SCAA track days out at Willow??? Irwindale usually has events relating to performance autos.
Hunt down the gear heads that are into Hot Boats.
:D :D :D

yopengo
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156624

riverracerx
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
That is what I was going to say!
Being the nice guy I am…why don’t you lend me one for the rest of the summer with a really small…I mean nice for sale sign and I will drive it all over Havasu every weekend for you… so you can get some publicity.
RiverRacerX needs a new Team boat. :D

Magic34
07-09-2007, 03:45 PM
That is what I was going to say!
RiverRacerX needs a new Team boat. :D
He has a good point. This year's regatta is expected to bring over 175 target market buyers for a 30' performance V bottom.
Demo hours dont hurt anything. :D

Jbb
07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
LA Boat show...cant remember if the "in" spot ......is upstairs .....or downstairs....:D

Cole Trickle
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Have you tried talking with Pier 57 or other high end boats sales locations?
I know it's working for Froggy thus far.
Have you advertised in the boat trader or other boat rags?
I think your boat is gorgeous and you are doing a great job.With that being said I think your gonna be hard pressed to move alot of 200K 30' boats in todays market.
Have you had anyone show "real" intrest and put there name on the line or offer you a deal on one of the two boats?
We all know that people are still buying exspensive boats ...(DCB,Eliminator,Skater,Nortech,etc...) but most of the smaller/newer shops are pretty quiet and feeling the crunch from the slow housing recesion.
It's a tough market and I wish you all the luck in the world. I would love to have the orange boat with the 525's but I am a 100K boat guy with 500K taste;):D

Uniqueperformancewest
07-09-2007, 04:20 PM
What has Wes been doing with the other high end locations such as Pier 57?
I have been advertising in the boat traders etc. and I would like to start in the larger magazines however its getting tougher and tougher the more money I put out for shows etc. and taking them out to havi and running them in poker runs, the less money I have for ads etc. I def will start getting into those areas as I start moving boats but being a new dealership its kind of hard.
I have had alot of people show some serious interest but they are all farther away from the boat and have not been interested enough to come out and actually see the boat in person. My biggest problem is getting people to come check them out and I know that is due to my lack of a location. But its been very difficult searching for the building that is properly outfitted and in the right location for our business. We have been looking since last August with no luck.
I just want to get them out there to the right population that is interested and can see the quality in the build etc. There beautiful boats, but their new to the market and don't have the name, but I think with the right marketing they could have that reputable name.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

Xlration Marine
07-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Boat Trader = tire kickers.

Kilrtoy
07-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Give it to me for a month,
It wont get any better advertising than that....

Havasu Luvr
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
John, check your PM's

Uniqueperformancewest
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Well were in the new Powerboat mag with the Hammertime MTI on the cover in-case anyone was interested. Thats a good start in the promotional department haha!!!
John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

kronikenergy
07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
put your boat on a trailer, fill up the gastank in the truck, put a phone number and website on the top and get involved in a high speed police pursuit during primetime....oh and it wouldn't hurt to have some strippers with pasties on in the back either...do they have a pole option as well?

Uniqueperformancewest
07-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Nice Idea Kronik energy, Im sure if in the end that will bring positive energy or maybe negative. It would definetly get some attention though, Ill have to think about how I can work that angle.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

superdave013
07-10-2007, 11:14 AM
My biggest problem is getting people to come check them out and I know that is due to my lack of a location. But its been very difficult searching for the building that is properly outfitted and in the right location for our business. We have been looking since last August with no luck.
Location location location! That's killing you. Right now you are just some guy with two boats for sale in the driveway. I think someone in the market for a new boat like yours will want to know they can get service and want to deal with an estiblished shop.
I know you want the dream location that can be seen from the freeway. But what you need is any location to hang your hat. It's just your first shop so look at it as a steping stone. Find something that you can squeeze 3~4 boats and one of your truck projects in. Sure you'll have to shuffle stuff around due to lack of space.
Trust me, those boats are bad ass and people will drive a few blocks off the freeway to go see them. But they might not drive a few hours to go to someone's house to see a so called new boat.
Not knocking you at all. But I'd think with out some shop space you really don't have much to promote.
Get some space and bang out a few trucks to pay the bills until the boat thing picks up. You can do it!

ElimJimsOtherHalf
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Give one away at several Orange County high schools (for perfect attendance lottery), publicity for all those coming of age males....and their parents (with $$). Think of the target audience in a few years!!
It worked for Apple. :)

Uniqueperformancewest
07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Dave,
I totally agree, we've been putting alot of effort into finding a building recently. Both my dad and I have been making alot of calls about them but it just seems nothing is the right size or capable of handling what we want to do. We've looked at alot in the last couple of weeks, and nothing has been suitable, like we wouldnt be able to swing boats around in the back alley or we couldnt cut the inside up enough to fit a boat in or they just won't allwo us to do the truck stuff, it seems if it isnt one thing its another. If you have any ideas on location, let me know cuz were getting very desperate for a quality building.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

bigq
07-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Location location location! That's killing you. Right now you are just some guy with two boats for sale in the driveway. I think someone in the market for a new boat like yours will want to know they can get service and want to deal with an estiblished shop.
I know you want the dream location that can be seen from the freeway. But what you need is any location to hang your hat. It's just your first shop so look at it as a steping stone. Find something that you can squeeze 3~4 boats and one of your truck projects in. Sure you'll have to shuffle stuff around due to lack of space.
Trust me, those boats are bad ass and people will drive a few blocks off the freeway to go see them. But they might not drive a few hours to go to someone's house to see a so called new boat.
Not knocking you at all. But I'd think with out some shop space you really don't have much to promote.
Get some space and bang out a few trucks to pay the bills until the boat thing picks up. You can do it!
I would agree with SD only I am a little more blunt here. I would not buy a 50k boat from you let alone the price you are asking for those if it was out of your driveway, used is one thing, but you are promoting a new boat and not even a shop? Did you make these?
Also what is your market target and I am guessing the target is quite small at those prices, maybe 1- 2% of people that boat can afford a 200-300k boat.:rolleyes:

Uniqueperformancewest
07-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I totally agree with you guys, and were not working in the position that we are because we want to its just we haven't been able to find a building that works for us yet. The boats are actually alot tougher to find a building for than you would think, because alot of buildings are tight together with other buildings there for the swing room to get a 30ft boat plus trailer in a shop is a little difficult, thats been one of our biggest dilemas. I've found alot of shops that would be great but we just can't get the boats in them, or they won't allow us to do mechanical type stuff etc.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

Havasu_Dreamin
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Not to hi-jack, but oh well, what's up with the 26 from E-Ticket that is implied on your website? New model for E-Ticket?

In2Deep
07-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Are you the builder of these fine machines.....or a dealer/distributor for these craft that you buy from somewhere else.....or both?
With all due respect to you -- and the business start-up dynamic always in play with ventures such as yours -- having a well thought-out and plausible marketing plan, and capital to support execution....is a necessary ingredient.
Having an additional boat or two in working inventory might also help. It's a numbers/exposure thing.
I would also suggest you consider hiring a highly experienced and professional marketing person to assist with your thinking.
And finally, and as someone else posted previously, be passionate, stay focused, get in touch with the universe....and be the ball.

riverracerx
07-10-2007, 01:25 PM
You need it out on the water every weekend at Havasu just going back and forth through the channel offering rides to anyone interested.
People are what make the buzz. Next thing you will see the "have you seen the adrenaline boat yet" from everyone and they will all want to see it.
The other problem that any new manufacturer has is that no one knows the resale value on a newly manufactured boat. Will it hold it's value, or will you (the new owner) be the only one crazy enough to spend the initial $$ on the thing. No one wants to be the first one to lose money on a deal. Also, how long will the new company be around. Many companies have fallen by the wayside a few years in. Then who do you have to service you in the future.
I think your boats are SICK! Just get a few proud owners out there and the rest will follow.
Good Luck!

In2Deep
07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
good post by rrx. Also get one out here at LOTO. Big water, and a reasonable audience out here with the budget necessary to buy.
I2D

riverracerx
07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
In2Deep and I will gladly share a boat and give you exposure at both lakes!
Right Dave. :D
http://riverracerx.com/2005update/05logo.jpg

In2Deep
07-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Great idea. I'll take Thurs - Sunday...you take Monday - Wed?
Please make sure all wiped down, cleaned up, gassed-up and ready when it gets here. I'll do same headed back West.
Good?

riverracerx
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
:eek: D'oh!

superdave013
07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Are you the builder of these fine machines.....or a dealer/distributor for these craft that you buy from somewhere else.....or both?
He's the distributor out west. I think they are built in GA so not to far from you. John seems like a go getter and will do good once he gets rolling.

superdave013
07-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Dave,
If you have any ideas on location, let me know cuz were getting very desperate for a quality building.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502
Heck, I can't get my 20'er in my own shop.

little rowe boat
07-10-2007, 03:17 PM
The best advertisement is usually word of mouth. Show up at the summer hot spots and then take people on test drives. Sooner than later word will get around about the performamnce of your boat and then hopefully the people that can afford to spend that kind of money on a boat will start inquiring.

Leverage
07-10-2007, 03:55 PM
How about a couple of questions? I spend a lot of time on OSO advertising and we travel to numerous Poker Runs and OSS races. I've got to start with asking about the price. Am I correct saying 285k plus for an Adrenaline? Have you checked the going rate for a Cigarette or Donzi 35-38? I believe a lot of business comes from quality and reputation. I'm not seeing this boat dominate in any P Class races or anything else. Not you, but the manufacturer must be out marketing this boat. Adrenaline is a nice boat, but not a 285K + boat. Your V hull market of 1-2% is spending that 285K on a Cigarette, Donzi, OuterLimits, Fountain, Hustler or A/T.
I'm not beating on your boat, but I don't want to see you invest a lot of money and energy into something that really dosen't have a market at the price. If you told me the boat was 125K or maybe even 150K then I believe a lot of buyers would be interested including myself. BTW, was Adrenaline at the Miami show? I didn't see it there, but didn't know. The manufacturer needs to get the name out there, build a reputation and work on price. If there not willing to do that or focus on that then you might want to think about selling for another manufacturer. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Uniqueperformancewest
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words, Im inputing everyones ideas into the brain, hopefully all of them put together will create some spectacular. I try to put them out there in Havasu as often as possible, my only problem with that is it seems like everytime I take them out it puts more hours on them and gives the oppurtunity for something to happen to them a little scratch here and a little there and it drives me crazy haha. But I do believe they get the most publicity driving up and down the channel so I try to do that as much as possible and park every once an awhile so people see it sitting too. I also try to run it a bit in the popular areas so people see it running through the water. I am going to put together some serious events this week that we will be taking them too, one of which will be the Catalina Ski race, Larry and I from E-ticket will be working together on having a boat each at that event and being available to chat with.
Thanks again guys for the positive ideas and Im going to put them all to good use, I drove around a bit today looking for buildings and hopefully I will be able to get into something sooner rather than later.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

BajaMike
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
This is nice looking boat.....
http://www.uniqueperformancewest.com/marine/images/V30/adrenpboatsV30-1.jpg
I'm just wondering how you would ever get in out of the water on that boat....:idea:

Baja Big Dog
07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I would not want to be in your shoes.....the market is sucking bad, your in a VERY high price area for the boats your selling, do you need a building? Probably yes, like mentioned before, selling 300k boats in your front yard is tough, and its easy for everyone to tell you "You need a building, and one by the freeway" sounds good but your option is hang a 5-7K a month bullet around your neck will kill you in a hurry. These are some of the things you should have done before you took on the line, you are now "stuck" with what appears to be two boats, that are now considered used, and although you are aggressively requesting people to come look at the boats in Havi, I don't think it is the marketing ave you want to take.
Get someone that has experience selling (marketing) high end boats, and again in this market that shouldn't be hard to find. And bite another 20K a month.
Hopefully you got some backing prior to taking on this project, and by your request to hot boat folks to tell you where to sell your boats this is sounds like something you may not be prepared for.
Have you done any research to determine how many boats in this price range have been sold lately? I would be curious....noticed some boats in Spam being sold before they are built....
Good luck..wish I was a roller like some of the other guys here (Bilge, Outcoled etc) cause I would buy one!!!:D

Uniqueperformancewest
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks Baja,
I agree with you, and I did do some serious research prior to making the decision to move forward with this business. However most of the people I spoke with, both buyers and manufactures agreed that the boats in this category that are in this price range have less of an effect by the economy in comparison to the 75k-150k boats. Due to most of the people purchasing these boats using cash to purchase them and not as many are taking the money out of there house etc. this is all the info that I had acquired from other manufactures of high end boats aswell as the people making purchases of these boats.
As far as the ideas for marketing I do have quite a few ideas for marketing and have a long list of events that I would like to attend throughout the area that these boats will fit in. But I also wanted to hear what all the fellow Hot Boat member thought to see if they had any alternative ideas that I had not thought of. And Im glad I did because getting the feedback from them was very helpful and gave me ideas that in turn sparked new ideas.
As far as the boats I have inventory I wouldn't quite call them used they are in between used and new, they are demo boats. But they have also been properly dialed in and also have been given the oppurtunity to have any issues, also it means your warranty starts 20-30hrs into the boats life, which is nice because youll get more out of your warranty.
I appreciate all the kind words, opinions, and thoughts to help get these boats out. I have already started working on a few of them today and Im moving forward with lots of the ideas I heard today and branching out from your ideas to create some interesting ways of grabbing some attention.
Thanks to all,
John Kirsch
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

Baja Big Dog
07-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey John..
Your welcome
Your welcome
Your welcome
Your welcome
:D

Uniqueperformancewest
07-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Oh my bad, the internet wasn't working and it wasn't loading or showing that i made the post so I kept doing it until it loaded and showed it correctly my bad.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

BajaMike
07-10-2007, 08:55 PM
How about a “New Boat Manufactures Association” get together at the Nautical, the London Bridge, or at Parker, and all the new boat guys bring and show their stuff!! And host a couple open bars….
Invitation only, to Hot Boat members and other serious potential buyers and hot chicks, and we have an in-water, out of water little boat show……
Sounds like fun….I can think of some manufacturers who would show up….:idea:
Lets see that new hardware, lets ride in it..........:idea:
Isn't that why you build it?

Uniqueperformancewest
07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Mike,
I actually like that idea, that would make for a great oppurtunity to see whats new with the boat manufactures. And give the potential customers the oppurtunity to jump in them and see them just like they did recently here at Irvine lake called Demo Days.
Thanks John
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502