PDA

View Full Version : sea tow

Deano
07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Just a little note for everyone to think about signing up.. I dropped a valve about 10 miles North of Moabi on Saturday around 6pm. Can you say cha ching $$$.. 4 hour tow to Havi is NOT cheap.:eek: I'm a member now!;)

Not So Fast
07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
It's a lot cheaper and faster to get towed into one of the closeby marinas and catch a ride to your trailer, then just pick it up. Thats what we did, Sea Tow is expensive no doubt:( NSF

Deano
07-09-2007, 03:33 PM
It's a lot cheaper and faster to get towed into one of the closeby marinas and catch a ride to your trailer, then just pick it up. Thats what we did, Sea Tow is expensive no doubt:( NSF
Probably cheaper for a 50' stretched F650 limo to get my trailer, meet me at moabi, bring me back to Havasu, and buy dinner and drinks. I figured it was a nice gondola ride and got my drink on!:D

Magic34
07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Isn't the cost $149/year?
That is a little more than $12/month.

Jerrys59
07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Just a little note for everyone to think about signing up.. I dropped a valve about 10 miles North of Moabi on Saturday around 6pm. Can you say cha ching $$$.. 4 hour tow to Havi is NOT cheap.:eek: I'm a member now!;)
I wouldnt be without it, thats for sure. one tow = 5 years membership!

little rowe boat
07-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Isn't the cost $149/year?
That is a little more than $12/month.
How many tows does this price buy? Does it work like auto club? Where you are entitled to so many tows and only so many miles.:confused:

Magic34
07-09-2007, 03:57 PM
How many tows does this price buy? Does it work like auto club? Where you are entitled to so many tows and only so many miles.:confused:
I have no idea. I just looked at their website as I thought it would be good to have if I went in the ocean.

RiverDave
07-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Had I been up there and seen ya floating it would've been free.
RD <---- still somewhat believes in the "original" Sea Tow aka Boaters helping boaters.

pw_Tony
07-09-2007, 04:04 PM
RD <---- still somewhat believes in the "original" Sea Tow aka Boaters helping boaters.
Last time I was in Havi about 2 years ago gave two guys a tow...
They kept telling me how grateful they were cause they have been trying to wave others down for a couple hours... but that's just Havasu isn't it?, not like the normal howdy neighbor that I'm used to in Martinez:D

Jbb
07-09-2007, 04:05 PM
RD<--------------------:jawdrop: ----------------------->SUX!...:D

RiverDave
07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
RD<--------------------:jawdrop: ----------------------->SUX!...:D
RD <------ likes your new look in the signiature :D

Jbb
07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
RD <------ likes your new look in the signiature :D
Thanks......I gotta send you these movies............I think...>RD would enjoy them...:D

25Elmn8r
07-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I agree with you RD! However; it seems that doesnt happen anymore.
We broke a power steering pulley earlier this season right outside of Thompsons Bay. Flagged another boat down and asked if they could give us a hand by giving us a quick tow to the marina. His response was "nope, but I can run over and grab one of the sherrif boats to get you some help"!
WTF, we could see the Marina and it would be a 10 minute tow max.
We are now a member of Boats US. The captain of that boat was cool and said we were close enough that he would just charge us the yearly membership fee and not for the tow. Pretty cool of him if you ask me.

little rowe boat
07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
We broke a power steering pulley earlier this season right outside of Thompsons Bay. Flagged another boat down and asked if they could give us a hand by giving us a quick tow to the marina. His response was "nope, but I can run over and grab one of the sherrif boats to get you some help"!
We are now a member of Boats US. The captain of that boat was cool and said we were close enough that he would just charge us the yearly membership fee and not for the tow. Pretty cool of him if you ask me.
That is just wrong, I don't think I could ever leave another boater stranded. Just ask DR Margarita and the owner of Krystals.:D

Jerrys59
07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
$140 a year. Tow, jumps starts, bring you gas plus a few other things.

Jerrys59
07-09-2007, 04:27 PM
SEA TOW GOLD CARD $149 A YEAR
This is the world famous card that 95 percent of our members select. It is “Your Road Service at Sea”® providing on-water assistance to recreational boaters 24 hours a day, 365 days and nights a year. The Sea Tow Gold Card covers any recreational vessel that has an engine and is registered to or owned by the member. Any person operating a covered vessel is entitled to receive benefits for that vessel. Gold Card members can also use their privileges on any vessel they charter, rent, lease or borrow. One of the member’s vessels must be identified as the primary vessel. Click here for a full description of our benefits.Capt. Russ Nyland
3225 Fan Palm Dr.
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86404
Dispatch: (928) 727-6945
Office: (928) 727-6945
Email: seatowlakehavasu@seatow.com

Hardly Satisfied
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Same thing happened on mother's day weekend just south of hwy 40, glad I had sea tow.

mondorally
07-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Anyone know if there is a Seatow in Parker?
-Justin

ClownRoyal
07-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Sea Tow is the ticket. Now on the other hand Vessle Assist is a scam and don't get me started.
BTW Deano, drag about the valve. Hope you can get'r fixed and back on the water soon. See you in October.

willowrat
07-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Sea Tow is the ticket. Now on the other hand Vessle Assist is a scam and don't get me started.
BTW Deano, drag about the valve. Hope you can get'r fixed and back on the water soon. See you in October.
I towed a husband, wife (both drinking), two kids and one of thier buddys after they flagged me down. It was about 5 miles north of Moabi. They needed a tow to the AVI. I said I would tow them to the Needles Marina then drive them to the AVI. Of course the wife and husband were fighting.
I had the wife and kids get in my boat. I used way more gas than I figured and had to pull over to ask for some gas to get to Needles. While asking for gas the nucklehead in the boat I was towing figured out the problem and him and his buddy took off leaving me with his wife and kids. My wife and I could not believe it. I tried to hunt the som biatch down that night but could not find him. I left his wife and kids at the AVI.
I am on the water as the sun goes down. That is the time most people are begging for help. I am guilty of waving at a few people broke down. Unless they look like responsable people who had bad luck I not sure I am there to help.

TCHB
07-09-2007, 06:38 PM
We have Sea Tow and have used it once on a very hot day. Great Service.

BajaMike
07-09-2007, 07:20 PM
SEA TOW GOLD CARD $149 A YEAR
This is the world famous card that 95 percent of our members select. It is “Your Road Service at Sea”® providing on-water assistance to recreational boaters 24 hours a day, 365 days and nights a year. The Sea Tow Gold Card covers any recreational vessel that has an engine and is registered to or owned by the member. Any person operating a covered vessel is entitled to receive benefits for that vessel. Gold Card members can also use their privileges on any vessel they charter, rent, lease or borrow. One of the member’s vessels must be identified as the primary vessel. Click here for a full description of our benefits.Capt. Russ Nyland
3225 Fan Palm Dr.
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86404
Dispatch: (928) 727-6945
Office: (928) 727-6945
Email: seatowlakehavasu@seatow.com
Where does Sea Tow work??
The web map shows no locations in Arizona or the Colorado River/Lakes. It shows San Diego and Long Beach as the nearest sites???
:confused:

socaldj1
07-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Same here. Lost the ignition module at the Palms and had to be towed back to the Nautical. Sea Tow guy knocked off 1/2 an hour of the tow so I could get the year member ship. The Lake card is only $119 for the year. Still the bill was $345 for the both the tow and the membership. When I got home I noticed that my insurance covered "Emergancy Service". Up to $1000 with no deductible. Placed the claim and just got my check for the money I spent on the tow.

502 JET
07-09-2007, 10:31 PM
About 12 years ago it cost me $650. to get towed in 9 miles from the ocean back to the ramp.
Since then I have been renewing my Sea Tow every year. I haven't needed it but its good to know you have it in case you need it.
After all we are talking about boats here. You just never know.
At least with a car you can still walk home.

Pussywhippled
07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I know for me when I have had to tow anyone it really put a strain on my engine as far as running up my temperature, then I'll have a problem myself.
Is it rude to tow someone part way and then find someone to hand them off to?
I've done it once and felt bad but...
So is it better to tow someone and break down?
or
Tow them part way and risk bad voodoo karma?

Not So Fast
07-10-2007, 06:34 AM
I would tow them to a safe marina then their problem is theirs. I too have towed a lond distance and not gonna do it again, tow them down river to a safe port and figure I've done a good thing. NSF

catman-do
07-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Ive towed a couple people. It depends on what they look like. If its some jackass dudes then probably not. If its a family then most likely. Usually I just offer a tow to the closest launch ramps and then tell the driver to get in our boat and I will give him a ride to where his truck is parked.

Sherpa
07-10-2007, 06:45 AM
once on the delta I towed a 19 foot flatbottom with 2 idiot guys and a gal.
I felt bad for her, not the guys...
the tow was more than 15 miles, and took like 3 hours. got to their destination at 11:30 at night... when we got to the dock, the chick ran past
my boat and threw a 20 at my buddie and said thanks............
I used about 30 bucks in fuel for the tow, and we were almost empty and
needed to buy fuel to get back to my truck...
so we bought a 6 pack, and the rest on fuel. got back to my truck at 1:00am
and didn't get home until 3am... long night.........
I sort of think twice now about the tow..... the next tow gets them to the
closest dock......
--Sherpa

Deano
07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
I will always tow anyone. If I break down, I usually feel bad for anyone that gives me a tow. I would rather pay than burden someone. I could name a few peeps on this forum that absolutely refused to help someone I know out....bad karma for sure...they know who they are.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-10-2007, 07:41 AM
we are a member of boats us also
but that just isnt right, someone actually said no?
wtf????:sqeyes:
i thought is was the law or something like that? where you have to help the other boater?
we always help
tuzrvr
helped a guy, i think it was a 3 hr deal (helping this other boater)
but who cares about that
what a few ahours...:confused:
its really hot out there ppl !!!
and we dont know what the situation, of the other boater :confused: in trouble is...
maybe the ran out of ice, drinks, or have been waiting a while...
my gosh!
ppl need to help out more:(

John.
07-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Sea Tow is awesome. they brought us gas for the blender when we ran out. just 2 cups and a friendly delivery. won't ever forget that. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Picture_481.jpg

Deano
07-10-2007, 07:49 AM
ha, I almost forgot. They called me when they were in Topac. Wanted to know if my cooler was full because they would pick me up some beer or whatever I needed.....very cool.

DaddyMack
07-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Is Boat US same as Sea Tow? or do they contract with Sea Tow? I been wondering about that.... :idea:

voodoomedman
07-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Is Boat US same as Sea Tow? or do they contract with Sea Tow? I been wondering about that.... :idea:
Nope. Two different services. Boat U.S. is the red boats and actually called Vessel Assist out here in the west. They are the ones associated with West Marine. That's the service I have and they are very cool. Sea Tow is the yellow boats. Have not had any dealings with them but they are sure getting a lot of praise in here.

havaduner
07-10-2007, 08:58 AM
I know you said not to get you started, but I am curious if you have had problems. I have Vessel Assist, and the one time I used them it was great service. Care to elaborate?

BILLY.B
07-10-2007, 08:58 AM
BTW Deano, drag about the valve. Hope you can get'r fixed and back on the water soon. See you in October.Wondering what problems you've had with "Vessel Assist". I have been helping a buddy of mine in Needles on the weekends doing "Vessel Assist" and I can tell you first hand we do everything possible to give great service. And you want to talk about ungrateful boaters!!!!!. Saw a sunk boat on the beach in front of Park Moabi. People were trying to bail water out with the little red cups. Waves were putting more water in then they could get out. So we stop, get the pump off our my our boat and proceed to get the boat floated for them...NO CHARGE. We didn't get so much as a thank you, kiss my a$$ or nothing. Takes all kinds I guess. I did drop a guy & his boat off at Park Moabi this past weekend and got him a ride to Windsor to get his trailer which saved him big $$$$. Vessel Assist ($82.00 a year= 5 hr tow, battery jump etc. $167.00 a year = unlimited.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-10-2007, 08:59 AM
so isnt it some law about heping out fellow boaters?

Hotcobra270
07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Ive never used sea tow.. So, If I'm out in the river without communication how would I contact them? CB radio?

phebus
07-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Cell phone or VHF radio

Hustler
07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Wondering what problems you've had with "Vessel Assist". I have been helping a buddy of mine in Needles on the weekends doing "Vessel Assist" and I can tell you first hand we do everything possible to give great service. And you want to talk about ungrateful boaters!!!!!. Saw a sunk boat on the beach in front of Park Moabi. People were trying to bail water out with the little red cups. Waves were putting more water in then they could get out. So we stop, get the pump off our my our boat and proceed to get the boat floated for them...NO CHARGE. We didn't get so much as a thank you, kiss my a$$ or nothing. Takes all kinds I guess. I did drop a guy & his boat off at Park Moabi this past weekend and got him a ride to Windsor to get his trailer which saved him big $$$$. Vessel Assist ($82.00 a year= 5 hr tow, battery jump etc. $167.00 a year = unlimited.
I gotta agree with Billy. I have seen Greg help out people more than I can count and when the time comes he will be my first call.

CAHotRodBoy
07-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Where does Sea Tow work??
The web map shows no locations in Arizona or the Colorado River/Lakes. It shows San Diego and Long Beach as the nearest sites???
:confused:
Russ runs the Sea Tow on Lake Havasu. I'm not sure how far up the river he will go but I would think at least to Topac. I'm sure if you call they will give you the info.

bullseye
07-17-2007, 06:03 PM
maybe Im way behind (most likely) ,I just renewed my boat Insurance thru AAA and they offer sea tow as an option that I can purchase .I believe it was less than $40 and it covers up to $500.figured I better get it since I have been towed more than twice .