PDA

View Full Version : We're Overdue For An Earthquake....

HavasuSelect
07-09-2007, 06:45 PM
In So Cal. I'm talking like a 5.0 or greater. Does anybody else feel that way? Did I just jinx it?

ratso
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
oh no you just didn't...:jawdrop:

HOOTER SLED-
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
LOL.... I was actually just thinking this myself recently. When is it Nostradamus?:D

HavasuSelect
07-09-2007, 06:58 PM
LOL.... I was actually just thinking this myself recently. When is it Nostradamus?:D
Ha, Hopefully when we're all safe and tucked away at the river or lake of our choice. :D

Throttle
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
yep, been thinkin bout that too

RitcheyRch
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm ready for one

HOOTER SLED-
07-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Ha, Hopefully when we're all safe and tucked away at the river or lake of our choice. :D
Maybe like some of the ghetto places can just sink down into the ground and get sucked up by the earth. :D

Ziggy
07-09-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm sure you've seen(or heard about) a pool slosh and spill during an EQ...lakes are no different...scary part is the ones we boat on all have dams. I've often wondered if the boat could outrun a flood from a burst dam :eek: :eek: Or could you try riding it out if above the dam, or just try running up onto a shoreline close by..:idea:
I know, stupid to even think it but what if???:confused: :confused:

hoolign
07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Maybe like some of the ghetto places can just sink down into the ground and get sucked up by the earth. :D
Shit...at least you'll be OK! it's the people with the higher center of gravity that are screwed:D

sleekcraft137
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
well if there is going to be one, its because of global warming.......oh and the war in Iraq.

MR.rvrluvr
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm sure you've seen(or heard about) a pool slosh and spill during an EQ...lakes are no different...scary part is the ones we boat on all have dams. I've often wondered if the boat could outrun a flood from a burst dam :eek: :eek: Or could you try riding it out if above the dam, or just try running up onto a shoreline close by..:idea:
I know, stupid to even think it but what if???:confused: :confused:
stupid no......I think of this everytime I am out there....What if Hoover dam broke would it cause a trickle effect with the other dams....Laughlin, Bullhead City, Needles, Willow, Topock and surrounding areas, then to Havasu, Lower parts of the city gone, higher would be ok. Then cattail, black meadow the springs....would parker dam hold? if not Parker gone then on to blythe....The destruction would be unreal.......Wow makes me sad thinking of the lives lost......God help us if it does happen.....

Ziggy
07-09-2007, 07:50 PM
stupid no......I think of this everytime I am out there....What if Hoover dam broke would it cause a trickle effect with the other dams....Laughlin, Bullhead City, Needles, Willow, Topock and surrounding areas, then to Havasu, Lower parts of the city gone, higher would be ok. Then cattail, black meadow the springs....would parker dam hold? if not Parker gone then on to blythe....The destruction would be unreal.......Wow makes me sad thinking of the lives lost......God help us if it does happen.....
Happens in movies all the time, right? I thought about it when idling just below Hoover a couple times...:idea::idea:

Riomouse911
07-09-2007, 07:51 PM
I keep the US Geologic survey web site on my favorites at work.. they have an "earthquake tracking map" that shows either the world, CA-NV, or narrowed down maps of LA area, Parkfield, SF Bay Area, and Long Valley (near Mammoth). It's additcing to see whats going on every day on the little ball we call home..
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

MR.rvrluvr
07-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Happens in movies all the time, right? I thought about it when idling just below Hoover a couple times...:idea::idea:
sometimes while on a long cruise up the river I will look at places I could possibly duck and hide if this would happen.....Ya right hide from a 100 foot wall of water......we are doomed....the sky is falling .....the sky is falling........Run for your lifes.....:D

Boatcop
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I've got maps that show the degree of inundation in case of dam breaks along the Colorado River. Of course, if Hoover Dam went, it would probably take Davis with it. Parker Dam would probably survive, since they could open the gates and allow the water to flow through. But that would pretty much have the same effect as it being destroyed.
We have already seen what happens when the Parker Dam gates are open, ie the 1983 flood, so if it was just Parker, the river dwellers would be screwed.
I live on the very southeast edge of the town of Parker, and (according to the charts) my place would be OK if it was just Parker Dam. It would also be dry if just Davis and Parker were breached. I'd be under a foot or two of water if all the Dams went, but that's based on 100% capacity. But the way the levels are now, I'd probably be OK even if all 3 were destroyed.

riverbound
07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I've got maps that show the degree of inundation in case of dam breaks along the Colorado River. Of course, if Hoover Dam went, it would probably take Davis with it. Parker Dam would probably survive, since they could open the gates and allow the water to flow through. But that would pretty much have the same effect as it being destroyed.
We have already seen what happens when the Parker Dam gates are open, ie the 1983 flood, so if it was just Parker, the river dwellers would be screwed.
I live on the very southeast edge of the town of Parker, and (according to the charts) my place would be OK if it was just Parker Dam. It would also be dry if just Davis and Parker were breached. I'd be under a foot or two of water if all the Dams went, but that's based on 100% capacity. But the way the levels are now, I'd probably be OK even if all 3 were destroyed.
you think my dock would be OK??:D If this one gets damged the city wont let us put the same type back in.:mad:

Rexone
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
stupid no......I think of this everytime I am out there....What if Hoover dam broke would it cause a trickle effect ....
I think that is probably a very PC way to describe the result.. . :)