PDA

View Full Version : Night Boating Accident - Northeast

SJP
07-12-2007, 06:48 AM
This was from a local lake where I grew up. Small town I did not know any of the parties. Really unfortunate for all involved. I enjoy night boating - everyone be careful out there if you are running fast or idling with your family.
http://www.syracuse.com/articles/news/index.ssf?/base/news-11/1183971371227840.xml&coll=1

Not So Fast
07-12-2007, 07:02 AM
This is why I dont think I will be boating at nite. With no clear cut lanes or areas as to where you should try to drive on the water it seems enivietable that this will happen. It's bad enough on land but on a dark nite and not being able to see the other guy and, some are flying, it's an accident waiting to happen IMO. God bless the family. :( NSF

Devilman
07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Similar situation happened on one of our local lakes a few years ago with the exception of no alcohol being involved. Out on the lake at night, one boat drifting (with no lights), people minding their own business, another boat coming across the lake at speed & ran right over them, never saw the other boat till it was to late. One fatality for sure, may have been two. (I know of the one for sure because he had painted my truck only a couple weeks prior to the accident.) There were others injured, but survived.
Two seperate sets of people that had their lives connect in a nasty way, all because they couldn't see each other in the dark...... :(

ratso
07-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Ha... the guilty party is in law school... that should tell you something...

roostwear
07-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Being on the river at night can bring the paranoid out in you , that's for sure. That's why I carry a 1 million candlepower spotlight when we're out. I make sure I have lights (duh), but when I hear a boat, I point the spotlight in the direction of the sound just to make sure they know I'm there. It won't blind them or anything, but it is bright enough to be seen way off.

uvindex
07-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Being on the river at night can bring the paranoid out in you , that's for sure. That's why I carry a 1 million candlepower spotlight when we're out. I make sure I have lights (duh), but when I hear a boat, I point the spotlight in the direction of the sound just to make sure they know I'm there. It won't blind them or anything, but it is bright enough to be seen way off.Maybe it won't permanently blind them, but it's going to wreck their night vision for up to 20 minutes. Please don't shine million-candlepower spotlights toward people who are navigating using their night vision. :)

blown65
07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Had a little incident over the 4th holiday myself.
Friend of ours got sick with some serious hives so we had to take him into the marina, unfortunetly it was late and dark.
So we drove over at the 15mph speed and on the way there in the large area of the lake this moron is in a kayak of some sort paddling across. I probably missed him by 100 or so feet but we didn't see him till we were damn close. Dark life jacket, not a bright kayak and out with nothing. Scared the crap outta me.