PDA

View Full Version : I've got water in my ear..

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
I have had it for about two weeks now and it won't come out or go away. It's my right ear and when i tilt my head to the right, the ear plugs up. After a few good yawns I can get it to pop but it never seems to really pop all the way.
Any remedies?

shippingguy
07-13-2007, 09:40 AM
I have had it for about two weeks now and it won't come out or go away. It's my right ear and when i tilt my head to the right, the ear plugs up. After a few good yawns I can get it to pop but it never seems to really pop all the way.
Any remedies?
Go to the pharmacy and get some drops. I think it is called Swimmers Ear. That should fix you right up.
Mike

6 Dollar Boat
07-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Pour some hydrogen peroxide in your ear it will clean it out good....:)

faster
07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Sounds likke it's in your inner ear if you can hear it Pop. It's probably clicking constantly and driving you nuts. If it is in your inner ear try and take a decongestant and it should drain via your nose or throat.

yopengo
07-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Go to the pharmacy and get some drops. I think it is called Swimmers Ear. That should fix you right up.
Mike
Hey RSM peeps.:D
Both my kids swim competitively and Mike is correct. This stuff works great. :idea:

Mandelon
07-13-2007, 09:45 AM
How about at 18 Volt DeWalt drill with a 1/2 bit.....?? :D

lewiville
07-13-2007, 09:51 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

djunkie
07-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Tilt your head to the right. Then hop on your left leg while using your left hand to tap the left side of your head. Usually works for me. :D

hoolign
07-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Should always start off with a pilot hole. I suggest a 1/16" and move up from there! If things are really bunged up..go right to a 3/4" spade bit!

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
07-13-2007, 09:56 AM
I tried that already....

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
07-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Tilt your head to the right. Then hop on your left leg while using your left hand to tap the left side of your head. Usually works for me. :D
Tried that too,,, I got the screw out that was loose!

faster
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Both my kids swim competitively and Mike is correct. This stuff works great. :idea:
I agree this stuff works awesome and I use it often but if it was water in the outer ear it would have dried / evaporated after two weeks. Give it shot and if you still have the problem then try the decongestant.

HavaSkank
07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
A rusty ice pick and a mallett is a cure-all

hoolign
07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
A rusty ice pick and a mallett is a cure-all
Watched Goodfellas last night too huh?:idea:

tamalewagon
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Try a little rubbing alcohol. Same as swimmers ear remedy.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Try a little rubbing alcohol. Same as swimmers ear remedy.
Tried that twice today....NADA...

Cigalert
07-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Run really fast towards a doorway and have someone slam the door as you're near the threshold. Turn ear in the direction of travel.
Swimmers ear crap works good. Peroxide works well too.

Mandelon
07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Maybe you have a more significant problem than we garage based medical experts can handle over the internet. :rolleyes:
I urge you to search out qualified and professional medical care. :)

redneckgirl
07-13-2007, 11:45 AM
My son swims for the San Luis Obispo Seahawks!!! What team do your kids with with? Maybe we will run into you at a Championship Meet! :)
RNG

yopengo
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
My son swims for the San Luis Obispo Seahawks!!! What team do your kids with with? Maybe we will run into you at a Championship Meet! :)
RNG
Both daughters swim for the Mission Viejo Nadadores. My oldest also swims for Trabuco Hills HS.
Don't you just love Swim Meets? :rolleyes: Has to be the worst spectator sport.

a catered life
07-13-2007, 11:53 AM
lmao

redneckgirl
07-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Both daughters swim for the Mission Viejo Nadadores. My oldest also swims for Trabuco Hills HS.
Don't you just love Swim Meets? :rolleyes: Has to be the worst spectator sport.
Actually I love to watch the kids swim!! I really don't mind the meets at all...my husband gets really bored at them. So I do all the traveling and meets. Probably the next meet we might cross paths would be the December AA Meet. :) Tell you kids good luck at there next meet.
RNG

AvengerBabe
07-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Rubbing alcohol is heavier than water and will normally displace the water in your ear canal and force it out once you have inverted your head (it should also act as a drying agent). If you have tried that already, and it hasn't worked, it's likely that what you are feeling is water behind your eardrum or the beginnings of an infection. Go see a doc before it starts hurting like a B*tch. Trust me, I've had this happen a lot. It's not pleasant and the one time I let it go I woke up with blood on my pillow from my ear :eek: and the Dr. had to scrape the blood off of my eardrum with a tiny little instrument-- not fun:mad:

Mandelon
07-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Rubbing alcohol is heavier than water and will normally displace the water in your ear canal and force it out once you have inverted your head (it should also act as a drying agent). If you have tried that already, and it hasn't worked, it's likely that what you are feeling is water behind your eardrum or the beginnings of an infection. Go see a doc before it starts hurting like a B*tch. Trust me, I've had this happen a lot. It's not pleasant and the one time I let it go I woke up with blood on my pillow from my ear :eek: and the Dr. had to scrape the blood off of my eardrum with a tiny little instrument-- not fun:mad:
I love it when you talk dirty......

mickeyfinn
07-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I get swimmers ear at least twice a year. If you are susceptable to it the swimmers ear stuff works as a good preventative. Swimmers ear is an infection. The pharmacy drops should be used before and after swimming. If you don't have that stuff use 1 part vineger to 3 parts water and use that. The real affect of the drops is to change the pH in your ear so the infection can't take hold. Once you get the infection get the antibiotic drops. It will eventually be VERY painful if you don't

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-13-2007, 08:00 PM
The vet told me to use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide on the dog. Then he said we coulde use it on us if we got water in the ear also.

scooooter7
07-13-2007, 10:01 PM
The vet told me to use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide on the dog. Then he said we coulde use it on us if we got water in the ear also.
Why...were you barking??

DUNDUN
07-13-2007, 11:00 PM
is there any pain or is it just the annoying popping noise? if its in pain i suggest hold off on the peroxide.. made that mistake.... blown ear drum from falling off a tube+peroxide to get the "water that is causing discomfort" to evaporate=noooo fun.

KineticoH20
07-14-2007, 12:00 AM
OK here's the fix, take a sheet of newspaper, roll it into a funnel with a small bottom (small enough to fit into the ear canal) the other side is the large end (maybe a foot wide) you need 2 people, make s0ure your hair is off to side, hold head sideways with the funnel facing up, have someone light the top of the funnel and pull it out before you get burned, this is an old divers trick to rid the ear canal of water, the vacuume pulls the water out.

riverlover
07-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Any remedies?
Did you injure your ear or just get a lot of water in it? I fell water skiing a couple of summers ago and slapped the water pretty hard with the side of my head and perforated my ear drum. If you put the alcohol in your ear you'll know right away ...the pain was unbelievable. i went to the doctor and he said it's more than likely pemanent and i think he's right cause it still bugs me if i dive too deep and build up pressure in my ear. just be careful and good luck that's all...

Spotondl
07-15-2007, 02:02 AM
OK here's the fix, take a sheet of newspaper, roll it into a funnel with a small bottom (small enough to fit into the ear canal) the other side is the large end (maybe a foot wide) you need 2 people, make s0ure your hair is off to side, hold head sideways with the funnel facing up, have someone light the top of the funnel and pull it out before you get burned, this is an old divers trick to rid the ear canal of water, the vacuume pulls the water out.
This is called "Coning" and it is trippy but works really well... If you buy & use a coning kit the crap that comes out of your ear into the gauze will gross even Brown out... but you will be able to hear like a little kid again...

franky
07-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Did you injure your ear or just get a lot of water in it? I fell water skiing a couple of summers ago and slapped the water pretty hard with the side of my head and perforated my ear drum. If you put the alcohol in your ear you'll know right away ...the pain was unbelievable. i went to the doctor and he said it's more than likely pemanent and i think he's right cause it still bugs me if i dive too deep and build up pressure in my ear. just be careful and good luck that's all...
Yep, happened to me twice. I thought I was going to die with the alcohol thing (only did that the first time). Alcohol in the middle ear, ouch.
Healed itself, sorta,the first time. Had a tempanoplasty the second time. Thats where they patch it with tissue from your scalp.
First time water skiing, second time diving.

EAZYKILLER2006
07-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Any remedies?
get it taken care of
ive been sick since the end of june
if it gets infected ...
WELL
no more drinking:( while on antibiotics :D

Spotondl
07-15-2007, 08:01 AM
get it taken care of
ive been sick since the end of june
if it gets infected ...
WELL
no more drinking:( while on antibiotics :D
Been sober since the end of June??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

riverlover
07-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Yep, happened to me twice. I thought I was going to die with the alcohol thing (only did that the first time). Alcohol in the middle ear, ouch.
Healed itself, sorta,the first time. Had a tempanoplasty the second time. Thats where they patch it with tissue from your scalp.
First time water skiing, second time diving.
Doc said he wasn't sure if I could do the surgery cause the tear was kinda small but we did discuss it. I keep some of the wax ear plugs from sav-on in the first aid kit in the boat if it bugs me when I'm swimming I just pack it full of wax and can swim all I want.

CBadDad
07-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Sounds likke it's in your inner ear if you can hear it Pop. It's probably clicking constantly and driving you nuts. If it is in your inner ear try and take a decongestant and it should drain via your nose or throat.
Have you tried this yet?
There is a tube that runs from your middle ear )behind the ear drum) to your throat to relieve pressure, call the Eustachian tube . Use plain ol' Sudafed.
You'll be better in a couple of hours if it isn't infected.