PDA

View Full Version : Boating on the Ocean ?

xlr857
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
My family is taking a vacation to San Diego, I am renting a boat in Mission Bay. It is a 21' Sea Ray open bow. They are telling me you cant take it into the Pacific Ocean unless you have previous ocean experience. I am just curious as to what are the different regulations from me taking my boat to Havasu where it's way more dangerous in my opinion, than cruising the ocean. We were planning on spreading my father in-laws ashes out to sea. I really dont want to spread them in Mission Bay. Any advice from people who have boating experience on the ocean, please chime in.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-13-2007, 12:02 PM
My family is taking a vacation to San Diego, I am renting a boat in Mission Bay. It is a 21' Sea Ray open bow. They are telling me you cant take it into the Pacific Ocean unless you have previous ocean experience. I am just curious as to what are the different regulations from me taking my boat to Havasu where it's way more dangerous in my opinion, than cruising the ocean. We were planning on spreading my father in-laws ashes out to sea. I really dont want to spread them in Mission Bay. Any advice from people who have boating experience on the ocean, please chime in.
The Ocean is much harder then Havasu. You have to be carefull of the wave sets.. They are not always in formation.. And I would not take a 21' boat in the ocean.. But that is just me.. also I don't think you are allowed to spread ashes yourself.. If you are don't let them know that.( sorry for you and your wifes loss.)
You have to be afraid of the ocean if you are not you are crazy. :D
The ocean changes all the time so be carefull.

Cigalert
07-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I believe they're looking for someone with "navigational" ocean experience. There are certain markers and bouys you will never see in havasu. Also, in a harbor a sail boat not under power has the right a way. So when windy is tacking you have to give way. Better lay on them brakes cause, you hit him you will Need Larry H. Parker. He'll fight for you BTW.
How many horn blast do you give when overtaking another boat on their starboard side?

boat boy
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Try 5 to 6 foot seas @ 6 to 8 sec intervals, 15 to 25 knot winds and an uphill current. That was the last trip back from Catilina Island in a 27' closed bow managing 20 MPH and still took 4 shoots over the bow. If it had been a open bow it would be at the bottom of the Pacific.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-13-2007, 12:24 PM
not to mention the freight boats..:jawdrop:

Dude! Sweet!
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Wear your life jackets and kill switches, don't drive faster than you can think, continuously pay attention to what's going on around you and use common sense. You'll be fine.

warlock
07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Man-o-man...Did the ocean by way of 27NewEra and we were just going around Redondo to the yard house...There is NoWay I'd go out there in a 21' open bow...That said a good friend of mine took his 19' open bow 4 winns out in San Carlos...He said it was the scariest thing he's ever been talked into...You don't get the swells in Havi....As long as the boat keeps runnin' in good weather ya' should be fine...Fock'it...It's a rental...Just put on a life vest, batten down the hatches and go for it!:D Sorry about yer loss...

squirt'nmyload
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
21 open bow :jawdrop: if the seas are calm i'd say go for it. if it is rough, just make sure you get the extra insurance and then go for it :D :D

Dude! Sweet!
07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
That reminds me... Leave early in the morning when the wind is down and come back in by noon. Saturday, we ran from HB to Newport flat-out with the tabs at zero and the drive at 6.5 at 10am, by 1 pm we had the drive and tabs at 4 and were working on our junior pilot's licenses!
Also, www.weather.com has a surf and sea report to give you an idea of wave conditions and forecast by area. When I had my 24 Pantera, we'd check that before we'd go out (to Avalon, Newport, etc.), but the 28 eats it up, so unless I see a typhoon forcast, we're a go.
My buddy took a Nautique to Avalon. Said it nearly did him in! Like I said, just use common sense!

Garrddogg
07-13-2007, 12:57 PM
in Havi the danger is other boaters and in the big blue is yourself and your own decisions..with a boat that size with an open bow I would stay close to the harbor..
heres a link to watch..
http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=nowcast&units=metric&tz=UTC&pub=public&xitem=spc

dunaholic
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
You'll be fine.....I've taken a 19ft boat to Catalina and back. Just be mindfull of the swell and don't parallel the swell, try if you can (especially with an open bow) to stay at like a 45-60 degree angle if you can. If you go early enough you don't have to worry about any of this. Just don't venture to far out, cuz it's easy to get lost out there without GPS.

Moe_Havi
07-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Mission Bay is just as crazy as Havasu on the weekends. Lots of lice and boat renters everywhere, going every which way. Going out early, you should be fine. Do check the day's weather before you go. Sorry about your loss.
Moe

BajaMike
07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't spread ashes at sea myself.....I know a few people who have tried to do this and because of the wind and waves, you end up with the ashes all over the boat, your cloths, your hair.....not fun.
If that was your father-in-laws wish, you might want to have a professional do it.....just my $.02.
I took my 20' closed bow in the ocean off Dana Point all the time, but I've been sailing (in much bigger boats) and surfing that area all my life. If you decide to go, do it early in the morning (and only if the water is smoothe and no chop), wear life jackets, don't go more then a mile or so out, make sure you can see the harbor entrance at all times, and be carefull!
:idea:

scarabrick2
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Sorry for your loss
I'd do it but I have a few thousand hours in small(15 foot zodiac) and large(50 footer) boats driving expierence. make sure the bildge pump works, vhf radio, horn, and wear your kill switch and life jackets. NEVER leave the boat... give way to ALL boats fast or slow. and those blow boats(sail) have there head up there a$$. drive safe and DON'T turn off your boat if you don't have to. Nothing worse than a dead battery. Bildge pumps don't work , motor won't start and people really don't want ot help. HENCE THE VHF RADIO. CH 16 .......
enjoy the ocean.
Rick